2 of 2
FSU Fires Willie Taggart
Posted: 05 November 2019 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12826
Joined  2008-10-29

Les Miles would be an interesting hire.  Lane Kiffen supposedly expressed interest.  PJ Fleck at Minnesota is a hot name right now.  Matt Rhule at Baylor may be able to be pulled away as well.

I don’t think Urban or Bob Stoops is coming back right now.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 05 November 2019 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Nvm, Fleck got an extension today.  He’s off the table.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 06 November 2019 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1042
Joined  2010-09-06

Looking like Bob Stoops even with the denials I think It’ll happen.

Signature 

“you are what your record says you are” Bill Parcells

Posted: 07 November 2019 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6731
Joined  2009-09-09

I wished some of the FSU people would come out of hibernation and share what the scuttlebutt is going on..

This may come as a surprise but I think Lane Kiffen could be a good fit for FSU.  That dude is a recruiting machine, is an offensive stud and has a swagger about him that might fit in Tally…I think FSU could get him for a good price and I think he might fit in with the Athletic Department by committee going on.

I don’t think a “ringer” like Stoops is going to answer to a panel of boosters at his point and would want probably more autonomy than the boosters would want to give up.

Signature 

Tomorrow morning…...get our people down to the docks.

I want every man and woman coming off the boats…...given hot soup and bread. We’re burying a lot of votes here tonight.

William “Boss” Tweed: Gangs of New York

Posted: 08 November 2019 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4775
Joined  2013-01-17

IDK.  Kiffen had a meh year at Tenn and then failed at USC when the Pac12 was pretty mediocre.  He’s kinda like the offensive version of Boom, not not quite as bad at his job.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 11 November 2019 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9042
Joined  2008-10-29

I think FSU can do better than Kiffen. People might laugh but what about Butch Davis? I still think Mark Stoops or Norvell at Memphis would be good fits too.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 11 November 2019 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I suggested Kiffen because I believe they need someone to come in and have an instant impact in terms of commanding or drawing attention.  Taggart was way too passive for FSU.  Someone has to come in and instantly recapture recruits, tell the program how it’s going to be run, and set a standard.  I think Taggart came in and waited for the Program to run him.

A good example is Scott Satterfield at Louisville.  He came in and told the program how it was going to be and set the standard.  The man got his whole building staff to scrub every inch of the facilities, including himself, to take responsibility for what goes on there down to the smallest detail.

Just saying you need someone that can hold the reins of FSU.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 11 November 2019 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2009-01-07

I’ll be interested to see what this process looks like for them. It’s been a great program and obviously a place where you should be able to win. I can see a few things that would make it a concern for a potential hire. The team and the culture are very bad right now. Jimbo left complaining about the administration. The donors bought out the contract and now expect to have some influence. Those could be a some significant red flags to top coaches.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 25 November 2019 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6731
Joined  2009-09-09

Here we are in the last week of November and I’m surprised no strong candidates have emerged for the FSU job.  With early signing coming up, FSU will want a Head Coach in place to salvage next years recruiting class. 

I have heard some stuff on the radio shows suggesting the the internal situation at FSU is a cluster-F*ck and will have a hard time hiring a “ringer”...

While I still think Kiffen would be a good hire, I sort of forgot Greg Schiano and I wonder how he would do?  I also think Clay Helton’s done a damn fine job at the real USC. 

Is FSU a destination job any more or have the the boosters and admin made this job radioactive to top name coaches?

Signature 

Tomorrow morning…...get our people down to the docks.

I want every man and woman coming off the boats…...given hot soup and bread. We’re burying a lot of votes here tonight.

William “Boss” Tweed: Gangs of New York

Posted: 25 November 2019 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4775
Joined  2013-01-17

9 wins or more should be pretty easy at FSU.  Even if it got you fired that’s enough to get another job after.  The upside is amazing there.  If you fail who cares, you just made +$20M.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

2 of 2