UNC beats NCSU 41-10
Posted: 01 December 2019 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4050
Joined  2008-10-29

Going to a bowl game. That’s a great step for MB’s first season as coach. Only going up from here. With Pitt and Louisville losing UNC can be picked over them for bowl spot. Those are the rules. Got to believe they may get Charlotte or NYC.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 01 December 2019 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4759
Joined  2013-01-17

Thank god.  I was watching the scores on my phone and couldn’t believe UNC was struggling with the pack.  MB and Les Miles really showed they still got it this year.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 01 December 2019 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12799
Joined  2008-10-29

Hammered those pups.  Good for UNC.  Will be interesting to watch the bowl against a non ACC team and see how they do going in to next year.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 01 December 2019 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4050
Joined  2008-10-29

Immediately after absolutely beating down the rival Coach Brown was talking about whatever bowl game they go to getting ready and finishing with a winning record for seniors. Giving them a season to remember. He absolutely gets it. Once they get opponent they have 13 practices to get ready, and get next year’s guys ready. By and large, next year’s guys are already playing for UNC. Lose 2 on OL, and 2 on DL, one safety, and that’s it.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 03 December 2019 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8710
Joined  2008-10-29

Carolina will be picked over FSU and Miami and BC who all have down fanbases whereas 6-6 for Carolina has been a huge step forward.

Also Bowls are gonna want Sam Howell throwing TDs to sell tickets compared to teams with no head coach or who lost to FIU and Duke to end the season.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 04 December 2019 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3888
Joined  2009-01-07
SoPinesHeel - 03 December 2019 08:48 AM

Carolina will be picked over FSU and Miami and BC who all have down fanbases whereas 6-6 for Carolina has been a huge step forward.

Also Bowls are gonna want Sam Howell throwing TDs to sell tickets compared to teams with no head coach or who lost to FIU and Duke to end the season.

Good point on the difference in the fan bases. It’ll be interesting to see where they go.
That was a good, solid beating. Brown has brought new life to the program. It’s been a good first year for him. He’s definitely a good coach and should have them continuing to improve.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 04 December 2019 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8710
Joined  2008-10-29

Yeah I fully admit I was wrong on Brown as I am sure many of you didn’t like Swinney at first. I loved what he did for Carolina when I was in school and hated when he left, but when he was rehired I thought it was typical Carolina keeping it “in the family” instead of hiring best available, by going after a coach past his prime.

Brown obviously has plenty of energy left and may be a better coach than he was even at Texas now after his years at ESPN observing. He is every bit the awesome recruiter he was before and already Carolina recruiting is off the charts… but now he has a swagger he didn’t before when Spurrier was calling him “Mr Football” mockingly. He takes chances and goes for the jugular and accepts when it doesn’t work. He hired a badass staff of both Carolina guys like Bly, Carolina always wannabes like Galloway, Air Raid disciples like Longo and one of the brightest minds in the defensive business like Bateman.  I love that.

The fact that he has the money flowing again from all the boosters he was buddies with all along is just icing on the cake. I was a Fedora fan but it soured on him. I will always like Larry but money had dried up and Carolina’s program was dead. Boosters hated him and high school coaches were tired of his schtick. People like me would always be there but there were only about 10,000 of us. Brown has unlocked another 40k and the fact that all our games are now sold out again is proof. As a by product he has pretty much single handedly killed NCSUs program. They had their window but it is now gone. Amen to that.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 04 December 2019 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4759
Joined  2013-01-17

IMO NC State died when that great DL was drafted.  They lost their qb the next year and had nothing after that.  Ol’Dave the D-bag is in trouble.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 05 December 2019 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3888
Joined  2009-01-07

I can understand why you would be skeptical of the hire after Brown had been gone so long, and out of coaching. It looks like he has some good years left.

Yeah, NCSU - Dave - is in bad shape. They had a few years where they looked pretty good, but it’s ugly now.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson