Revisiting Expanding The Playoffs Now that the 2019 Regular Season is Over
Posted: 10 December 2019 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6731
Joined  2009-09-09

Now that the regular season is over “time-filling” discussions will occur until the meaningful bowls start up after Christmas…

What does everyone think of the currant playoff format?  Are you good at 4 or do you think it needs to expand? Now that we are in the 6th season of playoffs what are your feelings?

I’‘m still good at 4 games.  I want the best of the best playing.  I would rather see a strong 5th place team miss the playoffs because they lost to a cupcake like UGA did than have a 7-9th ranked team that blew their chance when it mattered…

To me the regular season is so much more meaningful with a 4 team playoff because there are ramifications for not showing up every week.  If UGA beats South Carolina they probably edge out Oklahoma in the the 4th spot…

If you expand to the popular 8 team model, I could see teams, like in the NFL, where they start resting players and stop worrying about dropping a game.  I could also see a watering down of the regular season schedule to make it easier to win..Had Oregon scheduled a cupcake instead of Auburn they might have edged out Oklahoma as an example.

There are some potential positives in an 8 team playoff…

You may see fewer players leaving their teams to prepare for the NFL.  This is becoming a popular trend when teams are going to lesser bowls and while I understand, it’s still an unfortunate byproduct of the times.

I would imagine an 8 team playoff would have to have the first rounds played at the home field of the higher ranked team because it’s already asking a lot to have fans travel great distances and I would like the idea of a fan base getting a home game in a playoff.

While I’m against expanding, here are a couple of ways I thought would be interesting:

1.  A “play-in” game between the 4th and 5th ranked team to get that last spot.  It gets played at the home field of the 4th ranked team.  This year it would be UGA at Oklahoma.  I like this option because the 4th and 5th ranked teams are usually close..real close and this would take away some of that debate.

2. A 6 team Playoff with #1 and #2 getting a first round bye.  Again, the first round plays at the home field against the higher ranked team and then have the semi’s the same way it’s scheduled.  Some people will say it’s unfair to give 2 teams a bye but my thought is that the emphasis of playing well in the regular season makes that bye important.

Thoughts?

Signature 

Tomorrow morning…...get our people down to the docks.

I want every man and woman coming off the boats…...given hot soup and bread. We’re burying a lot of votes here tonight.

William “Boss” Tweed: Gangs of New York

Posted: 10 December 2019 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2011-04-22

What did you see from Georgia this year that would make you think they might just be the best team in the country? Isn’t the point of the regular season to figure out who might actually have a claim to being the best team? That list is now three teams long, and we’ll let them decide it on the field.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 10 December 2019 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
MattSmith - 10 December 2019 10:36 AM

What did you see from Georgia this year that would make you think they might just be the best team in the country? Isn’t the point of the regular season to figure out who might actually have a claim to being the best team? That list is now three teams long, and we’ll let them decide it on the field.

Well, this year the the CFP and all of the sports talking heads seems to put “resume” over eye test.  I did say I prefer a 4 team playoff for the “best” teams…UGA is not the best team, but the CFP sure though high enough of them to keep them at #5. Why did they do that?  All UGa has done is manage to choke on the big stage. I would have dropped them a lot more due to the South Carolina loss but the CFP thinks that all might SEC schedule made UGA “better”... 

This whole thread is to talk about the potential of expanding…should we?  If we do what number is the right number to expand?

It seems like a lot of people want expansion.. Teams that can’t quite get over the hump want some help to make access easier, the G5 schools want some type of affirmative actions..

Signature 

I want every man and woman coming off the boats…...given hot soup and bread. We’re burying a lot of votes here tonight.

Posted: 10 December 2019 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4014
Joined  2009-01-07

I like it at four. I agree the whole season matters, and it really starts getting interesting at the end with everyone fighting for spots. Even with it being at 4, there were several other teams that had a shot at getting in the last week or two which essentially became play-in games. I also can’t remember a year when I thought anyone from 5-8 was really the best team that should be playing for the title.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 10 December 2019 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 10 December 2019 03:55 PM

I like it at four. I agree the whole season matters, and it really starts getting interesting at the end with everyone fighting for spots. Even with it being at 4, there were several other teams that had a shot at getting in the last week or two which essentially became play-in games. I also can’t remember a year when I thought anyone from 5-8 was really the best team that should be playing for the title.

That really is the question as to what fans want in the college playoffs…

Do you want an NFL model where as many teams as they can possibly has access to a tournament (and the college BB and NBA model as well) or do you want a tournament that really puts the best of the best in?

You made a great point were the last 2-4 weeks around 6-8 teams were truly in control on their own destiny which I think already gives us an 6-10 team playoff where the regular season matters.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2019 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  975
Joined  2011-04-22
CU_Tigers4life - 10 December 2019 11:27 AM
MattSmith - 10 December 2019 10:36 AM

Well, this year the the CFP and all of the sports talking heads seems to put “resume” over eye test.  I did say I prefer a 4 team playoff for the “best” teams…UGA is not the best team, but the CFP sure though high enough of them to keep them at #5. Why did they do that?  All UGa has done is manage to choke on the big stage. I would have dropped them a lot more due to the South Carolina loss but the CFP thinks that all might SEC schedule made UGA “better”... 

This whole thread is to talk about the potential of expanding…should we?  If we do what number is the right number to expand?

It seems like a lot of people want expansion.. Teams that can’t quite get over the hump want some help to make access easier, the G5 schools want some type of affirmative actions..

Georgia was ahead of Oregon because they had a common opponent. Georgia won on the road, and Oregon lost on a neutral field. I’d have put Oregon 5, but not a huge deal. That’s why they did what they did. Oregon had better losses and a conference title, and Georgia had more quality wins. With common opponents being a stated criterium, that’s why they gave UGA the nod.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 10 December 2019 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Georgia was ahead of Oregon because they had a common opponent. Georgia won on the road, and Oregon lost on a neutral field. I’d have put Oregon 5, but not a huge deal. That’s why they did what they did. Oregon had better losses and a conference title, and Georgia had more quality wins. With common opponents being a stated criterium, that’s why they gave UGA the nod.

I agree with you on Oregon. True..it’s not a big deal.  I think Georgia was given a complete pass on the South Carolina lose.  I don’t care how good their wins were, losing to a 4 win South Carolina team in your home is such a bad loss that it should have punished them more than it did.  Also, Oregon won their conference and UGA got manhandled in their conference game and only dropped one spot…this year it’s just a piece of trivial stuff to talk about.

Signature