2019 Early Signing Day 12/18
Posted: 18 December 2019 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4775
Joined  2013-01-17

Well it’s not all over but Clemson mostly cleaned house today.  It might not stand through the second signing period but Clemson has it’s first #1 Class (ESPN & 247).  We signed a lot of elite DL and OL along with the #1 QB, #3 RB, LB, & CB. 
7 top 30 players
6 - 5 start
11 - 4 stars
6 - 3 stars
and I thin one zero star who didn’t play HS FB but is a top 25 soccer player that has a huge leg.  He will also play for out elite soccer team but rules dictate that he has to get a football scholarship. 

We stole a top 300 DB from LSU. 
We kinda stole 5* LB Simpson from UNC.  He was a big Clemson fan but Flowe held his offer until last weekend.  Good decision by the coaches to pivot there. 
We also got 3* S Venables who might be the most important out of the whole bunch. 

We did not get 5*DE Burch who commited but strangely did not sign with USCjr yet…. 
We did not get 5* LB Flowe who decided to stay on the West coast with Oregon.  We likely gave Flowe a time limit for his exclusive offer before we went after 5* LB Simpson out of NC. 

In related news:
USC supposedly missed on all top 14 Cali prospects
5* WR Jarrett flipped from LSU to Maryland.  I guess he really wanted to stay close to home (DC)
Good job by UNC being 19, FSU 21, and the AMAZING job at GT for being #24. 

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 19 December 2019 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3974
Joined  2009-01-07

Good summary. It was a huge day for Clemson - more cycling out I guess.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 19 December 2019 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6591
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 19 December 2019 04:02 PM

Good summary. It was a huge day for Clemson - more cycling out I guess.

Definitely the golden age of Clemson football.  So many things had to go right to get to this point.  Could you ever imagine a time when Southern California wasn’t in top 25 in recruiting and “little old Clemson” lands the #1 Pro-Style QB in the Nation that lives 21 miles from the campus of USC?...

Dabo has built a program where coaches want to coach and stay until a true step up becomes available while being very selective of the types of players they offer scholarships to.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2019 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12826
Joined  2008-10-29

Love listening to Swinney talk about these guys.  To see his just raw excitement to get Ajou Ajou in here, a guy out of Canada that doesn’t even know how to get in a stance and Dabo a coach at one of the premier programs in the country with pure joy talking about how he can’t wait to mold him into a top WR is great.  And to get a kicker with almost zero football experience that can kick with either leg, Dabo watched him grow up so he knows better than anyone the talent.  But this is part of why Clemson has been so good.  They’ve found those diamonds that no one else really pursues and turns them into 5 stars.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 19 December 2019 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6591
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 19 December 2019 04:45 PM

Love listening to Swinney talk about these guys.  To see his just raw excitement to get Ajou Ajou in here, a guy out of Canada that doesn’t even know how to get in a stance and Dabo a coach at one of the premier programs in the country with pure joy talking about how he can’t wait to mold him into a top WR is great.  And to get a kicker with almost zero football experience that can kick with either leg, Dabo watched him grow up so he knows better than anyone the talent.  But this is part of why Clemson has been so good.  They’ve found those diamonds that no one else really pursues and turns them into 5 stars.

That’s why a 5 star Deshaun Watson won the National Title with a TD to a Walk On WR in Hunter Renfrow

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2019 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2008-10-29

Simpson a 4 star on 247 last time I checked, but still a great get.  UNC did well in MB’s first full class. As team wins more games I expect it to get better. Getting the #1 and #3 players in NC, and 12 of top 20 or so, shows guys they can stay, and the 2021 class in NC is stacked.  Clemson had overall #1 class, which just shows the rich get richer. I have no problem with it, though. UNC played Clemson tough the last two time they’ve played. As UNC gets better, and MB and coaches get more comfortable, I expect to see Clemson in the ACCCG again very soon. Overall, Clemson, Miami, UNC, FSU, and GT had pretty good classes, I think. It will most likely take two seasons to see how well, except in some cases. UNC has 12 coming in January out of 25 total players. The key is meeting needs. UNC got DL, LB, secondary, and WR help. They got a couple of very good safeties, which is good because they lost a 3 year starter there.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 20 December 2019 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3974
Joined  2009-01-07
UNC 98 - 20 December 2019 12:49 PM

Simpson a 4 star on 247 last time I checked, but still a great get.  UNC did well in MB’s first full class. As team wins more games I expect it to get better. Getting the #1 and #3 players in NC, and 12 of top 20 or so, shows guys they can stay, and the 2021 class in NC is stacked.  Clemson had overall #1 class, which just shows the rich get richer. I have no problem with it, though. UNC played Clemson tough the last two time they’ve played. As UNC gets better, and MB and coaches get more comfortable, I expect to see Clemson in the ACCCG again very soon. Overall, Clemson, Miami, UNC, FSU, and GT had pretty good classes, I think. It will most likely take two seasons to see how well, except in some cases. UNC has 12 coming in January out of 25 total players. The key is meeting needs. UNC got DL, LB, secondary, and WR help. They got a couple of very good safeties, which is good because they lost a 3 year starter there.

Brown is a good recruiter. UNC showed a lot of improvement this year. With that and meeting some needs, I think there will be some momentum building for UNC. I don’t know what to expect out of FSU, Miami etc. They have a way to go.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson