1 of 3
2019 CFP Championship; Clemson Vs. LSU Discussion
Posted: 29 December 2019 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6804
Joined  2009-09-09

We’ve got a few weeks to kick this around.  From what I’m reading and seeing the day after the Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl is the LSU and SEC Fan Base is incredibly confident to the point of arrogance…Most of the Sports media will give Clemson no chance of winning this game.

This game is going to be about how great Joe Burrow is and Dabo will continue to play the Little Old Clemson card…

Signature 

Edgar Friendly

Because I like to think, I like to read. I’m into freedom of speech, the freedom of choice. I’m the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - “Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of BBQ ribs with the side order of gravy fries?” I want high cholesterol.

Posted: 29 December 2019 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12826
Joined  2008-10-29

It’s setting up perfectly for Clemson.  It’s a home game for LSU, to themselves and the media they can’t be touched, Heisman winner, nice and rested from their past few games, etc.  Scrappy scary good Clemson team coming in underdogs, no chance of winning, battered and bruised from the Ohio St game.  Just watch out LSU, i’m just saying.  It may not be easy, but our offense matches up much better with LSU than we did against a very good Ohio St D.  Oklahoma put up 300+ yards and almost 30 points on LSU, against their starters because they kept them in almost all game.

Our defense will be tested in the secondary for sure.  That will be the matchup to watch, our defense against their offense.

I hope ETN has the game of his LIFE in his home state of Louisiana.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 30 December 2019 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  841
Joined  2009-07-04

I thought we played with little intensity and focus against OSU in the first half. We can’t do that against LSU as they will score TDs, not FGs if we do.

OL has got to be better and we can’t put the game in Turners hands on defense. He is way too slow and easily the weak link on D. I was happy he got the game saving Int but he will get beat routinely against that offense.

We have a shot if we come out playing with our hair on Fire as we need to stay with them from the start and settle into the game.

Posted: 30 December 2019 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4129
Joined  2008-10-29

game posted with Clemson a very slight underdog. Both teams can play. I think the however obvious, the team that can score more wins. LSU scores points on points. Clemson has a good defense, might be the best LSU has seen. I still think Clemson will have to score points on points.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 31 December 2019 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4051
Joined  2009-01-07

Clemson will have to score a lot. LSU will put up points on our defense. We need to get a lot more pressure on Burrow than we did on Fields. Our dbs are vulnerable if the qb has time.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 31 December 2019 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

This might be the type of game some old fashioned “slow-ball” might work.  If our offense can move the ball consistently then taking the air out of the ball and to keep LSU’s offense on the sideline might be a strategy..

Now if Venables can get to Burrow and rattle his cage all bets are off

Signature 

Edgar Friendly

Because I like to think, I like to read. I’m into freedom of speech, the freedom of choice. I’m the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - “Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of BBQ ribs with the side order of gravy fries?” I want high cholesterol.

Posted: 01 January 2020 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4799
Joined  2013-01-17

Honestly I hate slow ball and I don’t think it suits out team.  We are best in the 1 minute offense IMO.  We just have too many weapons for us to not score quickly most of the time.  If our OL can protect Trevor I’m confident we will win.  The biggest change with tOSU is their D-line got a lot of pressure on Trevor and it took some time to adjust.  The only time we should dink and dunk down the field is if DB’s are scared to get burned and giving us 8 yard per pass with no pressure.  If you aren’t aggressive on offense you’re selling yourself short.  Our greatest strength is that we can score on any play and you need to use that threat to get the opposing DC off his game. 

We will likely play LSU like we did Bama and tOSU.  Don’t be too scared to let them into the redzone and then smoother them.  Our safeties are not elite athletes and are a bit stiff so you don’t want a busted play at mid field.  But in the redzone our DB’s are capable of zoning out the entire redzone and forcing the QB to make tough decisions/mistakes.  Our biggest adjustment needs to be covering the wheelroutes.  Dobbins had WAYYYY too many free 10 yard plays on simple wheel routes.  If we’re being honest if not for 2-3 busted plays tOSU may have only kicked fieldgoals.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 03 January 2020 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I would love to see Clemson be able to play as wide open as we did against Bama last year.  I think OSU had the better defense to LSU and I’m hopeful we can move the ball on them.  My guess is the will play Cover 2 and force TL to play patient drives. Of course that should open up ETN.

We can’t get behind on they guys like we did against OSU.  I just hope it’s close at half time. If so I like our chances in the 2nd half.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly

Posted: 08 January 2020 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

After reading the SEC message boards for a few days, should Clemson win, the melt will be epic.  Clemson folks have been around enough to acknowledge a better team winning, but LSU, much of the sports media and the SEC nation will be ablaze. 

Clemson is becoming that team like Alabama, the Patriots or any number of teams with prolonged success that people will turn on after a while.

Bring it!

Signature 

Edgar Friendly

Posted: 08 January 2020 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4051
Joined  2009-01-07
CU_Tigers4life - 08 January 2020 11:57 AM

After reading the SEC message boards for a few days, should Clemson win, the melt will be epic.  Clemson folks have been around enough to acknowledge a better team winning, but LSU, much of the sports media and the SEC nation will be ablaze. 

Clemson is becoming that team like Alabama, the Patriots or any number of teams with prolonged success that people will turn on after a while.

Bring it!

That is true. It’s seen as a sure win for LSU.
Clemson is moving that way as far as how people view the program. Some people will remain fans because of Dabo and how he does things. There are some where he just adds to their growing dislike.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 08 January 2020 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

The media had a smear campaign against Clemson all year and turned hard on Dabo when he called them out for it and it seems most people have bought it. 

LSU is their new darling just because Bama isn’t in the picture.  Coach O seems like a nice guy and has some of the same “aw schucks” Dabo to him but he also seems to have a lot of the “old school tough-ass coach” to him.  Coach O said his OC “Came back to work like a man” after his daughter in law died the previous day wasn’t even discussed to my knowledge?  Kinda out of line way of thinking in 2020.  And his team or star player not knowing his OC had a death in the family was a weird moment. 

Bring on the melt

Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2020 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Will be interesting to hear the narrative should LSU lose this one since they are the greatest team ever breaking every CFB record.  Time to knock them down a few notches.  I still think Clemson can do it.  The message boards will have one of the biggest melts in years if Clemson wins.  It’s all setup perfect for us.  LSU hype, LSU home game, LSU betting money, LSU everything.  That ROY plane is gonna be rolling into the bayou tomorrow with the stage perfectly set to go back to back.

I’m working an event today that has brought in Clemson Football’s team psychologist to speak.  Will report back if he shares any info or good tidbits during his presentation.  Talking to him this morning he said the team has practice today at Clemson and then flies out tomorrow to Louisiana and everyone is excited and ready to be there.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 09 January 2020 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Oh, if LSU wins, Clemson’s 15-0 season will rarely be mentioned again.  It will be as if LSU was the first team to go 15-0 in the modern era.

The sports media loves giving Clemson the standard backhanded compliment of “Clemson is a great team, BUT, they didn’t play anyone”...That little dig gets included in every “compliment” Clemson gets in the sports media and they wonder why Dabo and the fans get upset.

Clemson needs to win this game.  Maybe more than the last 2 because we are no longer the Cinderella team that DW won or the dismantling of the evil empire of Nick Saban in an epic beating.  This game his about history and legacy and frankly the right to tell all of the naysayers to go to hell.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly

Posted: 11 January 2020 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I’ve watch some LSU highlights and Oklahoma essentially rushed 3 men all night and it was a turkey shoot for Burrow.  Clemson has to bring pressure and keep bringing pressure with expectation of giving up some chunk plays.

A lot of what Venables is going to be able to dial up is going to be based on how well Clemson’s offense is going to be able to move the ball.  If Clemson can score offensively, that will really free up Venable to open the floodgates on his various Blitz Packages.

Signature 

Edgar Friendly

Posted: 13 January 2020 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Both teams playing pretty well IMO.  Refs definitely letting the LSU DB’s get away with being handsy.  AJ Terrell is getting murdered, tackling, covering, everything. 

Dissapointing to give up that TD right before the half.

I kinda feel like tOSU in the first round in terms of wasting short fields.  We need to go for it when it’s 4th and 4 on the 35. 

I think we should have run the ball more on offense.  Maybe not good to do when you’re behind in the second half but we squandered some opportunities early going pass happy.

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2020 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

We aren’t wrapping up, trying to go for a big hit and getting beat.  Terrell is getting destroyed, he needs help.

Offense has had so many chances and just couldn’t keep the drives going.  Defense needs a stop bad after half, of not it may be grim.  TL passes are a bit off tonight.

So much holding not being called.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

1 of 3