2020 College Football Playoff Discussion
Posted: 12 November 2020 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6929
Joined  2009-09-09

With the Ohio State and Maryland game cancelled, that really creates a lot of scenarios for the playoffs.  Ohio State appears to be the only team in that league good enough to make the tournament and they are in danger of meeting the minimum required games if they lose a second game.

I think that helps the the ACC the most if Clemson beats ND in the ACCCG and both teams are 11-1. 

The Pac 12 I don’t think will have a qualifying team either.

The G5 schools may have a legit shot at getting a team to the CFP.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

“I’ve been in this league for 18 years. I’ve been the head coach here for 12. (Florida State has) had three coaches in four years… I’m not gonna worry about advice from Tallahassee.”

Posted: 12 November 2020 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4107
Joined  2009-01-07

That would be interesting. I think the SEC could get 2 as could potentially the ACC. I could see them coming up with some plan to work around previous decisions to let OSU in it. Maybe Coastal Carolina can sneak in….

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 12 November 2020 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4155
Joined  2008-10-29

I think even if tOSU makes the playoff the ACC can still get two teams in. Of course, how ND is seen after they lose to UNC is anyone’s guess. hahaha. The SEC is proving to be Alabama and some overrated teams. aTm got handled, and now they are saying they may be the best team to not play in a conference championship game. The Big10 messed up pretty bad by starting so late. The teams that could have had a tune up game had to start with bigger games right off, and some (PennSt and M) proved to be paper tigers. The fact is tOSU will not get a challenging game in that conference, and even if they meet the minimum games their first challenging game will be in the CFP. Who knows how they will react to getting punched in the mouth vs an opponent on their level? As I see this is the ACC’s year with Clemson and ND. The optimal situation would be another close ACCCG with Clemson coming out on top. That would show the two to be very good and deserving.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 12 November 2020 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

It wouldn’t hurt my feeling if UNC beat ND.  In fact BC may be a handful this week.

There is a potential for Clemson and ND to play each other 3 times in a seas.  wow

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

“I’ve been in this league for 18 years. I’ve been the head coach here for 12. (Florida State has) had three coaches in four years… I’m not gonna worry about advice from Tallahassee.”

Posted: 13 November 2020 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4867
Joined  2013-01-17

I would prefer ND win out in the regular season and lose to Clemson in the ACCCG.  It would really put the pressure on the BIG and Pac.  It would also prevent a TA&M from backdooring in without even playing in a championship game.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 29 November 2020 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

This is shaping up to be a 2 ACC vs 2 SEC CFP if Clemson wins out and Notre Dame only lose to Clemson in the playoff.  Oregon St finished off the remote chance of a Pac 12 team making it,  Ohio State should be left out if they’ve only played half of the games as the rest of the field.  If 2 ACC or SEC teams don’t make it the a Group of 5 like Cincy or BYU should get a close look.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

Posted: 29 November 2020 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12881
Joined  2008-10-29

Theres no way they leave Ohio State out despite them playing hardly any games.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 29 November 2020 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4867
Joined  2013-01-17

I think it’s possible tOSU get’s left out.  If they don’t win the BIG due to not qualifying it’s a real possibility. Being a conference champion still means something right? Hell they are ranked behind Clemson now and are falling behind in games played.  Maybe Clemson won’t have to play in the ACCCG to get in the CFP. 

I think the ACC has the best odds to get 2 in with the SEC not THAT far behind.  If tOSU loses it’s basically over for everyone else.  B12 and P12 are out. 

IMO it will be
1. Bama
Clemson
ND
tOSU

They will likely seed it so Clemson and ND don’t play in the first round.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 29 November 2020 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12881
Joined  2008-10-29

I know one thing, it does not benefit us at all to schedule the FSU game

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 30 November 2020 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 29 November 2020 08:30 PM

I agree.  The only question I have is if Clemson decides to not play would the ACC call it a forfeit or a cancelled game?  The reason I ask is Miami only has one loss and a forfeit would give us 2 losses and wonder if that could affect the ACCCG.

Personally, I think FSU should have all of their games treat as a forfeit as it’s pretty clear they’ve thrown in the towel for the season.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

Posted: 30 November 2020 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4107
Joined  2009-01-07
CU_Tigers4life - 30 November 2020 09:36 AM
Clemtgrs - 29 November 2020 08:30 PM

I agree.  The only question I have is if Clemson decides to not play would the ACC call it a forfeit or a cancelled game?  The reason I ask is Miami only has one loss and a forfeit would give us 2 losses and wonder if that could affect the ACCCG.

Personally, I think FSU should have all of their games treat as a forfeit as it’s pretty clear they’ve thrown in the towel for the season.

It would be tough for eh ACC to call that a forfeit with the way this has shaken out.

OSU is in an interesting situation. I do think they’re probably one of the best 4 teams, but it seems like you should have to play a minimum number to demonstrate it or be tested. They conference has made a rule for that, and the playoff committee would be justified in saying they weren’t eligible for their conference championship so they’re out if it worked out that way.

As someone said in a previous post, a very short season would give them a significant advantage when it comes to injuries and wear and tear. Clemson has gotten a few guys back but still has a long list of injured players. I’m not sure what the other teams’ lists look like, but playing half the games of everyone else is an advantage in that department.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson