Has the CFP Exposed themselves for what they really are?
Posted: 16 December 2020 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6976
Joined  2009-09-09

Moving forward, we should no longer hear about such terms as “metrics”, strength of schedule or any other descriptive measurement the CFP wants to use to justify the decisions they make.  It no longer matters.

First..As a Clemson fan if they lose to Notre Dame they don’t deserve to be in the final four. 

The CFP is going out of their way to tilt the scales in favor of certain programs and certain conferences.  It was easier to cover up these biases when all teams were playing a full schedule but the veneer has been stripped away.

Florida only drops one slot after losing to a 3 win LSU with a depleted roster and a fresh QB in the Swamp?

Iowa State moves up to 5th with 2 losses and a one loss Louisiana (the team that beat them) is 19th?

Coastal Carolina is undefeated and not in the top 10?

Then there is the very rested Ohio State…Playing is half schedule seems to be all the CFP needs to see to determine they are among the top 4.

How can the CFP move forward next year with any credibility.  Just call it what it is and not try project some sense of equality.

This could be the last straw to hold off on expanding the playoffs.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

“I’ve been in this league for 18 years. I’ve been the head coach here for 12. (Florida State has) had three coaches in four years… I’m not gonna worry about advice from Tallahassee.”

Posted: 20 December 2020 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4883
Joined  2013-01-17

Ok that’s a bit dramatic. 

1. Yes Florida only falling 1 spot was kinda ridiculous but the alternatives were’nt that great either.  Cincn and Coastal? Meh.  They beat UGA and OU is a joke. 

2. Louisiana has a good schedule but has 6 games with a 1 possession margin.  When playing poor competition you need to set yourself apart. 

3. Coastal tired to improve their schedule but it wasn’t enough.  When you have one P5 team to play you need to make it impressive.  38-23 is a solid win but it’s the second closest loss by Kansas.  2-7 Baylor beat them 47-14 the week after CCU did. 

4. Kinda like your UF point, who do you put over tOSU?  I don’t like them being in either but who deserves it that much more? TA&M who barely beat Vandy and 3 loss UF and already got smoked by Bama?  IMO TA&M dodging playing a CCG is worse than tOSU avoiding games against MD, Ill, and UM (all garbage).  ND has a MUCH more impressive win column. 

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 21 December 2020 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 20 December 2020 04:33 PM

Ok that’s a bit dramatic. 

1. Yes Florida only falling 1 spot was kinda ridiculous but the alternatives were’nt that great either.  Cincn and Coastal? Meh.  They beat UGA and OU is a joke. 

2. Louisiana has a good schedule but has 6 games with a 1 possession margin.  When playing poor competition you need to set yourself apart. 

3. Coastal tired to improve their schedule but it wasn’t enough.  When you have one P5 team to play you need to make it impressive.  38-23 is a solid win but it’s the second closest loss by Kansas.  2-7 Baylor beat them 47-14 the week after CCU did. 

4. Kinda like your UF point, who do you put over tOSU?  I don’t like them being in either but who deserves it that much more? TA&M who barely beat Vandy and 3 loss UF and already got smoked by Bama?  IMO TA&M dodging playing a CCG is worse than tOSU avoiding games against MD, Ill, and UM (all garbage).  ND has a MUCH more impressive win column.

I’ve never been accused of being “dramatic”....LOL

tOSU’s 2 “best wins” frankly were not impressive. When Indiana and Northwestern are considered quality wins is an indictment on the shape of the Big 10. In both of those Game the Buckeyes looked very pedestrian.

tOSU is probably one of the top 4 teams but 6 games is not enough to compare to the other schools.

I would make an argument that Oklahoma passed the eye test over tOSU.  They avenged the ISU loss and the KSU loss was early and they won more games after their last loss than tOSU played.

It you compare Oklahoma’s schedule starting on Oct 24th when Ohio State started their season the Sooners are 6-0, played a tougher schedule including a win over ISU whos was I believe 5th in the CFP Poll.  The Sooners are bein punished for games that were played before Oct 24 which seems unfair.

I could make a similar argument for Texas A&M but I think Oklahoma has a better claim.

The Eye test is the gold standard this year and not the metrics.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

“I’ve been in this league for 18 years. I’ve been the head coach here for 12. (Florida State has) had three coaches in four years… I’m not gonna worry about advice from Tallahassee.”

Posted: 21 December 2020 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2010-09-06

People are going to complain no matter who the committee chooses.

I say they need to revamp the entire system. First only P5 teams can get into the playoffs. The other schools can form their own division(s). And ND needs to join the ACC for real if they want to get in.

I like the ACC schedule model. Play 10 conference games and one optional game.

The playoffs should be expanded to 8 teams at least and eliminate the conference championship games. It’s crazy having to play teams twice and maybe three times in a season.

With this model at least teams other than Clemson, Alabama, OSU, and Oklahoma have a chance to play.

Signature 

“you are what your record says you are” Bill Parcells

Posted: 22 December 2020 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4883
Joined  2013-01-17

CUT4L so give your top 10.  It’s kinda funny that you make this out to be a conspiracy and then argue that Oklahoma, who has had their fair share of CFP invites (all losses), should be in this year.  OU lost 2 games and one of them was to a BAD KSU.  They eliminated themselves. 

If you want to argue that tOSU should be disqualified based on games played I’ll accept that argument.  IMO the CFP should have set a minimum games played or stated that people under a limit would have to “leave no doubt” which tOSU FAILED to do against it’s two mediocre opponents. 

But at the end of the day I think ND earned a top spot and they were put at 4 to avoid a 3rd matchup vs Clemson, and TA&M and OU didn’t have anything compelling to push them over the top.  All the BIG needed was a 1 loss champ and they had a slot, they couldn’t do it.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 22 December 2020 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Here’s My Top 10:

1.  Alabama
2.  Clemson
3.  Notre Dame
4.  Oklahoma
5.  Texas A&M
6.  Ohio State
7.  Cincinnati
8.  UGA
9.  Coastal Carolina
10. Florida

I don’t think Ohio State deserves access with only 6 games.  Florida proved that even a great program can get snake bit. 

I don’t punish teams as harsh that played earlier because there was no Spring Ball and practices were not as sharp in that fall. Teams enter this season a a little more rusty and it showed in some games.

Ohio State had a lot more time to practice, stay healthy observe other programs on the field and how the managed Covid.  They have a very unfair advantage.

You are right about Oklahoma’s bad loss on Sept 26th when Ohio State was chilling. But at least they were playing early.

Then take Oklahoma’s 6 best wins and compare them to Ohio State on 6 games that were wins.  I would argure that they are playing better than Ohio State and are a better program which is suppose to the the CFP’s goal…Who is the best team.

If you want to call Ohio State among the best after 6 games you’re in the majority and I respect that. I just disagree

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

Posted: 22 December 2020 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4166
Joined  2008-10-29

I think the playoff should be 6 teams. Presently, there are not 8 teams that realistically should be in the playoff

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!