Hot Seat Victim #1: Tommy West
Posted: 09 November 2009 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2397
Joined  2008-10-30

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4637456

Terrible, terrible coach. Failed everywhere he’s been. How he’s been a head coach for 15 or so years can only be a result of him working the good old boy network.

Signature 

WIN FOREVER

“You are what your record says you are.” Bill Parcells circa 1986

“We’re not the BCS, where the polls and the power ratings and all of that ridiculous stuff matters. This is a legitimate sport.” Stan Van Gundy 2009

Posted: 09 November 2009 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4045
Joined  2009-01-07

He is a terrbile coach. Clemson paid dearly for the mistake of hiring him.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 10 November 2009 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-30

Check out West’s final press conference…it’s a total rant! I can’t tell if he’s blaming the fans or the media or the AD for lack of support.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/videos/detail/tommy-west-fired-and-fired-/

Signature 

WIN FOREVER

“We’re not the BCS, where the polls and the power ratings and all of that ridiculous stuff matters. This is a legitimate sport.” Stan Van Gundy 2009

Posted: 10 November 2009 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5591
Joined  2008-10-28

That’s nuts. Tommy West is nuts.. he comes across like he’s dumb as a bag of rocks. I wonder who gets that job?

Signature 

“Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.”

TB12, the most mis-understood poster on Southernpigskin.com

Posted: 10 November 2009 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4127
Joined  2008-10-29

I know West stunk it up at Clemson, and I know Memphis has not been good. I’m sure a lot of that is his fault. Is there anything to what he was saying about the city, fans, media, etc… always knocking and tearing the program down? Also, does Memphis support it’s football like it does basketball?

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 10 November 2009 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4045
Joined  2009-01-07
UNC 98 - 10 November 2009 03:37 AM

I know West stunk it up at Clemson, and I know Memphis has not been good. I’m sure a lot of that is his fault. Is there anything to what he was saying about the city, fans, media, etc… always knocking and tearing the program down? Also, does Memphis support it’s football like it does basketball?

I don’t know about Memphis, but that wasn’t the case at Clemson until they really did suck.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 10 November 2009 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9102
Joined  2008-10-29

I think that was one of the best press conferences I have ever seen. I wish all coaches, and politicians for that matter, spoke the truth to power like that.

My limited experience in Memphis, just by having friends who live there, is that everything he says is true. Hopefully they can change that, but if Memphis had the support that ECU gets something tells me they would win alot of games.

West had a pretty good stint there and I think he is a better coach now than when he was at Clemson.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)

Posted: 10 November 2009 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-30

Living here in Memphis there are some things that were TW’s fault and others that weren’t. UofM football has many, many problems and not all are coaching related.

Tommy’s fault: poor playcalling, going through coordinators like toilet paper, recruiting JUCOs left and right, never really knowing what it takes to make a formidable offense.

Not Tommy’s fault: aging facilities, little caring by the admin for football (UofM is considered a basketball school), wildly critical media (Geoff Calkins of the Commercial Appeal is a huge critic), poor athletic director in R.C. Johnson.

The feeling among fans is that they respect TW quite a bit because he led the Tigers to a few bowls, which is more than in their history prior to West’s arrival. But he simply couldn’t get to the next level and compete for the C*USA crown and West was known for starting off by saying things were his fault but then would proceed to blame players, etc. I think his press conference above was fairly correct but unprofessional because I felt West did many things wrong but he never manned-up to them really. West also blamed all the negativity, but the fact he doesn’t get is that perennial losing breeds negativity, and he bred it.

What I think is ridiculous is Johnson hired Mike Tranghese to advise them on how to go about joining a BCS conference (specifically the Big East), but they gotta have a strong football program first and they don’t have that. The Big East only cares about football as far as Memphis is concerned, and for Memphis to have any chance they first need to hire a home-run replacement like a Terry Bowden, Charlie Strong, Gus Malzahn or (maybe) Larry Porter. Someone who’s experienced at the BCS level.

Signature 

WIN FOREVER

Posted: 10 November 2009 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-30

In case no one’s seen the video, here’s a transcript of it…

“It’s not fun, and it’s certainly not easy when you get fired. That’s a bad day. Okay. That’s not a good day at the office.

“I do want to thank…I got a lot of…I’ve been here nine years and I got a lot of good memories, lot of people, players, coaches, fans, in a nine-year period of time that we were really lucky and fortunate to be around, to have a chance to be a part of them, and I don’t want to take anything for that.

“I do want to say that, to our people, we got some really good fans. But they got to stand up right now. Okay? And sometimes when you’re the head coach, you can’t say things. Because if you do it’s kind of sour grapes. You know? You can’t say exactly what it is. But what I would say to them is now is the time to stand up for your university and your football program.

“I’m the seventh straight coach that stands here, saying the same things to you. This is the seventh straight time this has happened. And history will continue to repeat itself, folks, if they don’t do something about it.

“Whoever they hire, they’ll hire a good guy, and I’ll pull for them. Okay? But our fans have got to demand…you gotta do one of two things. You have to demand that you give him an equal stick to fight with within our conference. You gotta give him a level playing field to fight. Give him that.

“Stobart stood here the same way. Stobart became a bad coach. Wouldn’t recruit and he was a bad coach. But he was good enough to beat Southern Cal. And Rip became a bad coach and wouldn’t recruit. But he could beat Peyton Manning and Tennessee. We could beat Eli in his senior year and Ole Miss again the next year down there.

“At some point in time you gotta say ‘we gotta help this football program. We gotta do the things necessary to make this what we want, or do away with it.’ And I couldn’t say that as a coach, but you gotta do one or the other because it’s too painful. It’s painful. For coaches, for players and for people, for fans, it’s painful.

“Put something in it or do away with it. One or the other. That’s what they should do.

“And I don’t say that in a negative way. I’ve been here nine years. I got nine years of my life invested here. Hard years. Hard years. Fighting years. Every day, a fist fight to try to move this program. I don’t say any of it in a negative way. I say it in a very positive way, because I want to see this program be successful.

“The only other thing I would say is you gotta somehow take the negative out of it. You gotta find a way to get the negative surrounding this thing out of it. I don’t know how you do it, I don’t know if you can do it. But you gotta do that.

“Because there is a group, there is a negativity like nowhere I’ve ever coached, I’ve coached at a lot of places, this is the only place. There’s a negativity here that, in the end, eats you up. It’s hard to win. Today’s game, it’s harder to win than it’s ever been. And if you gotta fight battles around your own program and around your own campus and around your own city, it’s hard. It makes it very difficult.

“If you want to be…don’t be negative. Ask what you can do to help the football program. Instead of being negative about the coach or the team, ‘what can I do to help? How can I help?’ Come to a game and bring somebody with you. Do that for the next guy. Give him a fighting chance.

“Just like our…and I’m not picking on our paper, but instead of writing sarcastic, smart-aleck remark articles, why not call me and ask me, ‘coach, what can I do to help your football program? We love this city, we love this university and we love this football program. And we’d love to see it be succe…How can I help it?’ Instead of running it down all the time, when it doesn’t go exactly right and running it down. Do something to help. Give the next guy a fighting chance. That’s what I would ask all of our fans.

“But to our fans, demand that he get a fighting chance or give it up, one or the other. Thank you very much.”

Signature 

WIN FOREVER

Posted: 12 November 2009 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  181
Joined  2009-03-13
Curggr - 10 November 2009 05:05 PM

I don’t know about Memphis, but that wasn’t the case at Clemson until they really did suck.

Well, a lot of what Tommy was bashing Memphis about could be applied to Clemson as well.

The facilities at Clemson hadn’t had any upgrades in over 10 years when Tommy was fired. There wasn’t even anything in the plans. We had rested on our laurels of having the best facilities in the ACC so long we were middle of the pack. It took Bowden whining about it every chance he got before somebody said “Hey! He might have a point!”

Tommy West’s AD at the time, Bobby Robinson, was a big reason why the facilities got in the condition they did. He did three things at Clemson that one could consider a success: hiring Tommy Bowden to rebuild the football program,the construction of Vickery Hall, and promoting Jack Leggett. I wouldn’t be surprised if Robinson was purposely doing as little as possible to help the football program because the West hiring was pretty much pushed on him by IPTAY after the way he messed up with Hatfield.

Now, like he did at Memphis Tommy West didn’t do himself any favors at Clemson. Changing coordinators and philosophies like they were underwear, not making recruiting a priority, and horrible game day decisions, but it’s not like Tommy West was handed a gem of a job to begin with.

Posted: 20 November 2009 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9102
Joined  2008-10-29

http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2009/11/18/tommy-west-is-a-class-act/

Thought this was a good end to this thread.

Signature 

“Looks like the upper hand is on the other foot!”
- President Tug Benson, Hot Shots! Part Deux (1993)