4 of 4
Just out of curiosity do you believe in dinosaurs?
Posted: 27 August 2010 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1033
Joined  2008-10-29

My problem with Christianity is this.  I’m a dad, and I love my son dearly.  No matter what my son ever did/does, I would never create a special place for him with the threat that if he doesn’t do exactly as I say then he will burn and be tormented forever and ever.

And, truly, no matter what he would ever do, I would never put him in a place for eternal torture like that.  Even if he shouted from the tops of the mountains every day “Dad, I hate you and I don’t believe in you”.

And yet Christians believe God has this little place called Hell just waiting for any non-believers, unrepentant sinners, etc.

So, in essence, that makes me far more loving and forgiving than God.

Secondly, I would never create him for so-called companionship and then abandon him and his descendants in a virtual “sandbox” and never come say hi.  And I know Christians like to say “Oh, he hasn’t abandoned us, he’s here with us all the time”.  Give me a break, you know what I’m talking about.  I’d stop in and show my face and sit down and go fishing, and address the entire world in person from time to time.  But this whole “no physical evidence” mystery, just a book written by people thousands of years ago that I don’t know from Adam, is for the birds.  As is allowing tyrannical governments and torture and vast human suffering.

So, in essence, I would make a much better and more personable God.

By definition of God being all-powerful, all-loving, all-present, all-knowing… and me showing two examples in which 1) I’m already more loving and forgiving than the Christian god of the Bible, and 2) I would make a much better deity, then in essence I think that proves that either a) God doesn’t exist, or b) God doesn’t care, or c) God isn’t as powerful/knowing/loving/present as some would like to believe.

The truth is that my religion is “I don’t know”.  I wasn’t there when all this was made, and I haven’t seen any personal proof of anything, and personally I don’t believe in anything that the five limited senses I was given can’t perceive.  We’re clearly from the same stock as monkeys and every other lifeform on this planet—noses, eyes, reproductive organs, etc.  If we were truly made in the image of a god, why would he need eyes if he’s all knowing, or a penis (which is purely reproductive), or a heart to pump blood, or skin to protect his innards, etc.

And then we get to the final argument, well “in his image” means the “soul”... which again I have no evidence of that even exists.  A dog doesn’t have a soul?  Why do I watch my puppy kicking and whimpering in his sleep, having dreams in which he feels fear.  If that isn’t as much as what we were given, then I don’t know what is.  Plus, dogs are more loving, and more forgiving than any of us jerks.  It’s all ridiculous and I don’t know why any person chooses to believe in something so implicit and intangible.  We’re monkeys.  We’re amoeba.  We’re viruses.

The cycle of life and death is beautiful just as it is.  Quit clinging to some hope of eternal life, and just enjoy the time you have.

Posted: 27 August 2010 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1455
Joined  2009-10-20
fiercey - 27 August 2010 12:34 AM

My problem with Christianity is this.  I’m a dad, and I love my son dearly.  No matter what my son ever did/does, I would never create a special place for him with the threat that if he doesn’t do exactly as I say then he will burn and be tormented forever and ever.

And, truly, no matter what he would ever do, I would never put him in a place for eternal torture like that.  Even if he shouted from the tops of the mountains every day “Dad, I hate you and I don’t believe in you”.

And yet Christians believe God has this little place called Hell just waiting for any non-believers, unrepentant sinners, etc.

So, in essence, that makes me far more loving and forgiving than God.

Secondly, I would never create him for so-called companionship and then abandon him and his descendants in a virtual “sandbox” and never come say hi.  And I know Christians like to say “Oh, he hasn’t abandoned us, he’s here with us all the time”.  Give me a break, you know what I’m talking about.  I’d stop in and show my face and sit down and go fishing, and address the entire world in person from time to time.  But this whole “no physical evidence” mystery, just a book written by people thousands of years ago that I don’t know from Adam, is for the birds.  As is allowing tyrannical governments and torture and vast human suffering.

So, in essence, I would make a much better and more personable God.

By definition of God being all-powerful, all-loving, all-present, all-knowing… and me showing two examples in which 1) I’m already more loving and forgiving than the Christian god of the Bible, and 2) I would make a much better deity, then in essence I think that proves that either a) God doesn’t exist, or b) God doesn’t care, or c) God isn’t as powerful/knowing/loving/present as some would like to believe.

The truth is that my religion is “I don’t know”.  I wasn’t there when all this was made, and I haven’t seen any personal proof of anything, and personally I don’t believe in anything that the five limited senses I was given can’t perceive.  We’re clearly from the same stock as monkeys and every other lifeform on this planet—noses, eyes, reproductive organs, etc.  If we were truly made in the image of a god, why would he need eyes if he’s all knowing, or a penis (which is purely reproductive), or a heart to pump blood, or skin to protect his innards, etc.

And then we get to the final argument, well “in his image” means the “soul”... which again I have no evidence of that even exists.  A dog doesn’t have a soul?  Why do I watch my puppy kicking and whimpering in his sleep, having dreams in which he feels fear.  If that isn’t as much as what we were given, then I don’t know what is.  Plus, dogs are more loving, and more forgiving than any of us jerks.  It’s all ridiculous and I don’t know why any person chooses to believe in something so implicit and intangible.  We’re monkeys.  We’re amoeba.  We’re viruses.

The cycle of life and death is beautiful just as it is.  Quit clinging to some hope of eternal life, and just enjoy the time you have.

Good post.  Coupla thoughts:  Many Christians (including me) do not think Hell is place of physical pain and suffering.  It’s more like a place of isolation.  A person who chooses not to invite Christ into there life get exactly what they asked for:  isolation.  That’s what hell is IMO an eternity of isolation.  How is that not loving?  The Father gives exactly what we ask for in that instance….. to be left alone.

To your second point.  It’s free will. Nothing more.  Many think “free will” is a Christian cop-out.  But it’s like this.  If we don’t choose to love God, then how can we love God?  In other words, if you’re pre-programed to “love” someone or something, then do you really love it?  You’ve never made a choice.  God wants a relationship.  That’s why we were created.  What kind of satisfaction would it be for God if we don’t choose to love him?  And I agree…. I wish God did visit.  This place would be better.  There would be no doubt and I’m pretty sure us sinners would straighten up. LOL

There’s a fair amount of physical evidence that does exist to support the existence of God.  I’d encourage you to read The Case for Faith and The Case for Christ by Lee Stroebel.  I think you’ll be surprised by the amount of evidence.  As far as your point about “image” goes—well, it’s a good one. I guess I’d argue that “image” may not include eyes, organs, etc.  It may just mean shape.  IDK.

Lastly, I too struggle with your point about “souls” wrt dogs.  I love my dogs, and my dogs love me.  I see them in happiness and in suffering—just like humans.  IDK the answer to that wrt the Bible.  There are several interpretations depending on the verse.  I’ll see if I can find it.  Personally, I think if something has the capability to love, then it has a soul. 

Point is being a Christian doesn’t mean you have all the answers. Even Billy Graham has written about his struggles with Christianity over time.  After all the definition of faith is believing in what’s not necessarily tangible.  I just know that I feel better about myself when I make effot to follow Christ’s teachings that alone allows me to enjoy my earthly life and still have the hope (promise) of eternal life.  I guess I feel like I’m in pretty good shape either way.  Obviously, it’s a decision everyone needs to make for themselves.

Signature 

I won’t be money but I’ll wager avatar’s….I’ll use a Logan Thomas Avatar for an entire season if I lose and if I win you have to have some type of Clemson Avatar.

-CU_Tigers4Life (01-26-2013)

Posted: 27 August 2010 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1033
Joined  2008-10-29

This is an interesting documentary regarding this subject:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_994351&v=6pgRUpDDrb0#t=5m2s

I’ve skipped you ahead to the 5-minute mark in the link above, everything before that is just introductory war footage which can be disturbing.  But it actually goes into the documentary at this 5-minute mark.  Just be patient, it takes a minute to load even though it looks like it’s doing nothing.

I’d be interested to hear thoughts.  It takes about 25 minutes to watch.  This is part I in a three-part series.  Parts II & III discuss 9/11 and Banking.  The Banking one is actually the most interesting to me.

-f

Posted: 27 August 2010 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2009-04-22
fiercey - 27 August 2010 05:30 PM

This is an interesting documentary regarding this subject:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_994351&v=6pgRUpDDrb0#t=5m2s

I’ve skipped you ahead to the 5-minute mark in the link above, everything before that is just introductory war footage which can be disturbing.  But it actually goes into the documentary at this 5-minute mark.  Just be patient, it takes a minute to load even though it looks like it’s doing nothing.

I’d be interested to hear thoughts.  It takes about 25 minutes to watch.  This is part I in a three-part series.  Parts II & III discuss 9/11 and Banking.  The Banking one is actually the most interesting to me.

-f

This movie is such a stretch and bogus. It seem like that movie “Loose Change” but for religion. You should go check out the refuted videos. They house a lot more information than that one.

Signature 

“There can be no glory without some pain!” - Nick Saban

Posted: 01 September 2010 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2914
Joined  2008-11-23
tider4life - 27 August 2010 09:20 PM
fiercey - 27 August 2010 05:30 PM

-f

This movie is such a stretch and bogus. It seem like that movie “Loose Change” but for religion. You should go check out the refuted videos. They house a lot more information than that one.

When there was a break in the clouds I saw Jesus today.

Signature 

“I havn’t been a part of a team since I was with The 4 Peters”

Posted: 26 January 2011 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2010-06-05
TBE - 01 January 2009 11:57 PM

I just find it amazing…. I have relatives that have went to their kids school to make sure their kids aren’t taught certain aspects of science. Is it there right? Sure…. but none the less they are crazy lol. And these are well educated successful people.

Whether your in the Bible Belt or wearing a brown leather belt, the bottom line is the universe has been here for millions of years. Not 7k no matter how you want to talk yourself into believing it. A year was a second, 10 years was 2 minutes….. lol whatever.

And again, so we are clear. I have no problem with people believing what they want. As long as it’s separated from our politics and education. And SoPines, I hear what your saying and agree.

I know this thread is over two years old but I found it intriguing and had to post.

I’m in a unique position because I consider myself a conservative Christian, have grown up in the Evangelical church and believe the Bible to be God’s infallible word. At the same time, I don’t think that homosexuals should be denied the right to marriage and think that marijuana should be legalized. I also consider myself somewhat of an evolutionist.

While this is undoubtedly a very long discussion I do think it is impossible to make a case that the earth is only some 6,000 years old. I also that the odds for evolution actually succeeding are absolutely astronomical. I don’t think people realize how minute the chances of evolution playing out are. There are billions of factors that have to line up for evolution to work. Yet, here we are. My stance is that of theistic evolution, that the process of evolution was guided by a divine god. Francis Collins, a renowned physician-geneticist who headed up the Human Genome Project wrote a book titled The Language of God in which he explains theistic evolution. I think this is the direction Christianity will slowly take. At least I hope.

This all doesn’t sound quite as crazy if you run some of the numbers on evolution and realize how much chance plays into the process. At the end of the day however, I do realize however at some point in religion logic must give way to faith. I do fully agree with you though about the necessity to separate from politics and education. I think it is unfair and unbiblical to impose Christian ideals and beliefs on others through the political system.

Signature 

Go Noles.

Posted: 10 February 2011 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-02-10

I do cause i’ve seen one, a fusselized one that is!

Posted: 15 February 2011 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2914
Joined  2008-11-23
johaim - 10 February 2011 06:08 PM

I do cause i’ve seen one, a fusselized one that is!

oh be quiet

Signature 

“I havn’t been a part of a team since I was with The 4 Peters”

Posted: 02 May 2011 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2011-05-01

WTF?!  What is there not to believe?

Posted: 02 July 2011 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-05-22

Oh good lord, this is the dumbest thread in the history of the internet.

TBE, you should ban yourself for posting such a far-reaching and stupid post.

How anyone can take anything you seriously say after starting a thread about such nonsense is bewildering to me.

No kidding. You have redefined stupid.

Posted: 02 September 2011 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-09-02

I believe in dinosaurs. Do I believe the earth is as old as some folks say the fossils are? I think it’s possible.

Signature 

Reading the Psalms as an Auburn Fan

4 of 4