Could FSU Be “Sabre Rattling” to force either the SEC or Notre Dame to make a move?
Posted: 14 May 2012 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1925
Joined  2009-09-09

I have to tell you that I am officially all over the place on this issue.  Everything makes sense and at the same time nothing makes sense.  The only thing that I will say is that I want what is best for Clemson and I will also add FSU to that because even though we trade jabs during the season, I want to see them do well also.

There is a part of me that wonders if FSU is stirring up a hornets nests to either compel Notre Dame to join the ACC (with FSU as a member) or trying to compel the SEC to extend and invitation to them in order to keep a Big 12 footprint out of the south?  If the Big 12 went after Miami,FSU, Clemson and say GT, that would be a MAJOR incursion by the Big 12 into the SEC’s yard.  I would think even the so-called gentlemen’s agree may have to be set aside for the long term health of the league.

If the New BCS format may be what forces Notre Dame into a conference.  If all of the BCS schools “gang up” on Notre Dame and refuse to play them because the conferences do like Notre Dames unique position then the Irish may have to have a shotgun wedding.

Who knows?

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 14 May 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5546
Joined  2008-10-29

Sure they are.  They are trying to twist the ACC for more money and control….why wouldn’t they?  You do it with any job if you have 2 looking at you, which one offers you the best benefits/deal?  Problem is, for the ACC, is that they can’t match what the Big 12 would throw on the table even if the ACC adds ND and the ACC will lose anyway.

Signature 

2014 BCS Orange Bowl Champions
Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

“First team from the state of South Carolina to win a BCS bowl” - Dabo Swinney

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 14 May 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1925
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 14 May 2012 10:46 AM

Sure they are.  They are trying to twist the ACC for more money and control….why wouldn’t they?  You do it with any job if you have 2 looking at you, which one offers you the best benefits/deal?  Problem is, for the ACC, is that they can’t match what the Big 12 would throw on the table even if the ACC adds ND and the ACC will lose anyway.

I think Notre Dame has a lot more firepower than you can imagine.  It doesn’t matter how good their Football program…..They are Notre Dame and that is all they have to be.  Every team in America wants them on their schedule regardless of how good they are.  People from all around the world know the Irish and will watch them.  People in Europe will watch Notre Dame Football and their currency spends just as well.

Notre Dame would not join any league unless it got the TV money they want and I would guess tier 3 control.

Any network would open their wallets up to have Notre Dame football becasue they are a cash cow.

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 14 May 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I think ND is waiting to see whats going to happen, and has its eye more on the B1G rather then the ACC at this point.  Which it should, that’s the conference it needs to be in, not the ACC….especially an ACC that will be left in shambles football wise if the football schools left.  If I were an ACC fan I wouldn’t set my expectations of ND to high, I wouldn’t want to be disappointed later on.  I’ve said it many times here, adding ND is not the answer to all problems.

Signature 

Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 14 May 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  2008-11-01

We have seen the arguments on the net, one is Texas will eventually bolt, not hardly they are locked in with a guaranteed waiver of rights for television money. If Texas left they would forfeit TV money for 13 years, scrap that one. Texas will make 45 million in TV and radio money next year and FSU is looking at 13 million and has a 2.5 million dollar deficit.

Texas can play Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU without leaving the state and a big rival across the border in Oklahoma. Yeah I expect them to cut and run, leave the big 12 any day now.

In the SEC, PAC 10 and Big 12 and Big 10 48 teams will make more money than FSU next year providing this move is not made. Under the present set up FSU would lose in the area of 100 to 120 million by remaining in the ACC.

The Big 12 has a TV deal guaranteed to be financially competitive with the top football conferences in the NCAA for the duration and it could go to 28 million with FSU and Clemson aboard. Some estimates place the monetary value at a high end 35 million for FSU throwing in TV rights. Yeah those rights the ACC gave away in negotiations. The ACC from what I see doesn’t bother to even go into any detail with FSU and some other schools on what decisions they are about to make. Swofford is an incompetent. His son works for Raycom and that is part of the tier 3 problem. It is a family affair. How long are schools outside the Carolinas willing to be treated as second class citizens. Not only is football not recognized as being the money makers for the conference, the more viable football schools have no control over the conference.

The Big 12 has enough schools who are football oriented that should guarantee it cash bonus checks for playoff berths, FSU and Clemson throw some extra weight into this area.

Most people do not realize that the University of Kansas made more money than Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M. It is building a brand new basketball arena and is strong in this area. They are not the drain people make them out to be. If FSU and Clemson were in the big 12 now, it would give them 8 teams in the top 25 as opposed to the SEC having 6 in 2012.

Iowa State University is building a brand new training facility right now. Baylor is building a brand new stadium, KState and KU are making major improvements in facilities right now. What is the ACC doing in this area, anybody heard?

Oh wait I just thought of something the ACC is busy, busy fouling up schedules so rivals don’t play each other and travel longer distances to play meaningless games. There will still be no north and south even with Pitt and syracuse. It is great to maximize those travel expenses. Who needs rivalries anyway. Save those for basketball.

Everyone knows what happened last year, FSU played OU and then faced Clemson next and Clemson was coming off the Auburn game. Great scheduling there I tell you. This doesn’t happen much in basketball where the marquee schools are pampered. Unfortunately FSU was the ACC champion anyway.

It is better to play the big conference games early in the season so one or the other is eliminated early, we don’t want to build too much excitement here. Throw in Thursday night games early and often. Nothing like playing Boston college on Thursday night in a sleet storm.

I think everyone knows about the officiating and Mr. Cherry. Nothing is done after Fisher sends reel after reel to Swofford outlining the poor calls by ACC officials and these are the officials the SEC will not allow on the field for their games. Why do these people still have a job? Even TV announcers who are not the sharpest knives in the drawer have commented on this on the air!

Signature 

I’m your Huckleberry

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat FSU

Posted: 14 May 2012 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2009-08-04

Seminole:  Good, informative post.  I have not read-up enough on the contracts (conferences, schools), but I will (when I get some much needed time).  If this is true, then I would wonder how VT’s leadership is reading this.  As anyone knows, VT is football.  Not much else regarding other sports (although that suits me fine).

Posted: 14 May 2012 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

According to many in the 12 Kansas makes some serious money on their third tier TV rights due to basketball, as they are primarily a basketball school. We don’t know what FSU could do with their third tier rights but it would be interesting to find out,  football program is fairly popular.

The 25 million is a projection if Clemson and FSU came into the league with at least another several million more thrown in with another few teams and a high end with TV rights being around 35. That is probably a little high but who knows Texas is set to make 40 million this year as the media is paying them for their 3 tier rights on the long horn network.

They do have a clause that should the big 12 find suitable opponents, each team will make around 25 million a year as a projection. The big 12 pays traveling expenses also which the ACC does not.

They did pay 10 million of WVU’s buyout expenses also.

Signature 

I’m your Huckleberry

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

Posted: 14 May 2012 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2718
Joined  2011-02-04

A fixed ACC would be better than a bunch of schools fleeing. We might be locked into the crummy contract, but a North-South division split along with schools keeping more of their post season revenue might be enough to keep FSU happy.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 15 May 2012 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

With FSU basketball on the rise, a good baseball program, and a solid football program, there should be no issues with FSU making some really good money off of Tier 3.  I can’t see Clemson having a problem either.

And what if the ACC gets “fixed”....what happens when a playoff comes down the pipeline?  Even with FSU, Clemson, VT all stepping up….the rest of the schedule isn’t going to get you into the playoffs.  Its not a simple fix for the ACC, to me…personally, I see no option but to leave.

Signature 

Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

Posted: 15 May 2012 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

Deloss Dodd is hemming and hawing about maybe the 12 show stand pat for now, he is a poker player. Did say they Texas would abide what the league wanted yada yada. I think the big 12 wants FSU and Clemson bad and both schools would be insane not to take this. WVU, FSU and Clemson would edge the entire league further over into the south. A win win situation.

Signature 

I’m your Huckleberry