Tony Franklin (VT OC?)
Posted: 13 November 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2012-06-19

What do ya think about that?

I don’t think we’ll make a bowl this year (and hopefully that will force Frank to get rid of the whole offensive staff)  I think we’ll win 1 of 2 games against BC and UVA (as painful as that is to say!) I think Shane Beamer is a great recruiter—but he is responsible for the problems with our run game this year. 

Franklin has some ties to Beamer/Foster back at Murray State.  He is currently the OC at LA Tech. 

What do you think?

Posted: 13 November 2012 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  692
Joined  2012-06-16

I like it.  Purging the offensive staff is a no brainer.  Beamer created O’Cainenstine, he can destroy it too.  There are two problems.  Franklin may be offered a HC job or Sonny Dykes may get a high profile gig, like Arky, and take Franklin with him.  Either way VT needs to open up the vault and spend some serious scratch on a top-tier OC.  In fact, all ACC teams need to be thinking this way.  Coaching upgrades are just as important as facilities and talent to improving the conference

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 13 November 2012 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2619
Joined  2008-10-30

Too bad teams in the ACC can’t afford to pay as much as other conferences. Thanks Swofford, doing a hell of a job buddy!

Signature 

2012 ACC Football Champions
2012 Orange Bowl Champions
2013 Florida state Champions
2013 ACC Football Champions
2013 NCAA National Champions

“This is our time, it ain’t their time!”
-Jimbo

Posted: 13 November 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2011-04-22

I’ve heard some smoke about this. I think it would be a pretty good hire. Not sure what went wrong at Auburn. Only snafu could be if Dykes leaves and Franklin is a HC candidate at LA Tech.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 13 November 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2011-08-16
whr2206 - 13 November 2012 07:45 AM

What do ya think about that?

I don’t think we’ll make a bowl this year (and hopefully that will force Frank to get rid of the whole offensive staff)  I think we’ll win 1 of 2 games against BC and UVA (as painful as that is to say!) I think Shane Beamer is a great recruiter—but he is responsible for the problems with our run game this year. 

Franklin has some ties to Beamer/Foster back at Murray State.  He is currently the OC at LA Tech. 

What do you think?

First of all Shane isn’t to blame for the run game that can be placed on Stinespring and Curt Newsome (O-line coach). Running back coaches are mostly in charge of running drills and working with the OC on rotation. The blocking scheme and play calling is much more important to the run game as a whole. Also I don’t see Frank agreeing to an Air Raid type of offense. He’s a conservative guy and he’ll stay that way. Can’t say I think it’s a good idea myself though.

Posted: 13 November 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5662
Joined  2008-11-01

I think the guy is a dynamite coordinator.  I would like to see Fisher hire him.

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat

Posted: 13 November 2012 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5157
Joined  2008-10-29
93N99 - 13 November 2012 11:03 AM

Too bad teams in the ACC can’t afford to pay as much as other conferences. Thanks Swofford, doing a hell of a job buddy!

Where do you get this? Doesn’t Clemson have the highest paid staff in the country? Do you know who the first million dollar staff was? NCSU under Amato back when Rivers was playing.

Duke is in the middle of a 3.5 billion dollar capitol campaign. Money is not on their list of problems.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 14 November 2012 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

It is on the list of problems for teams like FSU and Miami who doesn’t even have it’s own stadium.

When Oklahoma brings in 27 million in TV money and FSU and Miami bring in 13 million, who do you think can hire the most expensive coaches?

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

Posted: 14 November 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5157
Joined  2008-10-29

Ah, the circle is complete. We can always bring it back to made up numbers. Source for your 27 million a year? Greg Swaim, because he is so credible? Soonernet.com? Oh, That’s right. There isn’t one. But maybe if we keep saying it it will be true.

Henceforth, North Carolina makes 54 quintqillion a year from TV.

Franklin would be a good hire for VT. They need some change.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 14 November 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2117
Joined  2009-09-09
SoPinesHeel - 13 November 2012 11:44 PM
93N99 - 13 November 2012 11:03 AM

Where do you get this? Doesn’t Clemson have the highest paid staff in the country? Do you know who the first million dollar staff was? NCSU under Amato back when Rivers was playing.

Duke is in the middle of a 3.5 billion dollar capitol campaign. Money is not on their list of problems.

He really didn’t think that one out real well before he typed it….Chad Morris is the highest paid coordinator in the nation and worth every penny

Signature 

“If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head”

Jameis Winston: 2013

Posted: 14 November 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  2012-05-08

This quote perfectly outlines IPTAY’s fundraising capablities:

“Chad Morris to Kentucky? He couldnt afford the pay cut”

Signature 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUkxIDlCAAMr7Vq.jpg

Posted: 14 November 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  692
Joined  2012-06-16

Here’s an interesting comparison.  The numbers are slightly different in other sources I’ve read, but the idea’s the same.

Louisville has 22,000 students.  They compete in 22 Big East sports.  Papa Johns Stadium capacity is 55,000.  UoL received 3.1M from the Big East in 2011.  Total AD revenue was 87.7M, Total expenses 81.8M.  Revenue growth from ‘06-11 - 69.7%

FSU has 32,000 students.  They compete in 18 ACC sports.  Doak seats 84,000+.  FSU received 15.6M from the ACC in 2011.  Total AD revenue was 78.6M, Total expenses 86.9M.  Revenue growth from ‘06-11 - 17.3%

UoL has a beautiful new bball facility and made huge renovations to the football facilities all while having a third less students (less fees, less alumni) and getting tablescrap TV money.  And competing in more sports. 

From an Orlando Sentinal blog: ‘Donations are way off, too. Four years ago, Seminole Boosters reported total revenue of $42.8-million, according to its tax records. In its most recently reported year, it brought in $32.7-million.’

Sounds like poor management and indifferent fans/boosters are FSU’s biggest problems right now.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 14 November 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

Pines do you even bother to read the articles posted here for the last few months? Can you read?

It is not some mysterious assumption that Big 12 teams will make 20 million per year in TV money. This is a well established fact. OU will make an additional 7 million on 3rd tier rights with Fox. This is not debatable, this is in black and white and anyone who is literate and coherent can see it.

“Oklahoma will see $7M a year from TV deal”

“The University of Oklahoma’s block of branded programming on Fox Sports Net will result in upward of $7 million in new annual revenue”

https://www.sportsbusinessdail…a/Oklahoma.aspx

The ACC’s Third Tier Rights And Why They’re Killing The Conference

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/06/04/the-accs-third-tier-rights-and-why-theyre-killing-the-conference

FSU board of trustees chairman Allan Bense sees the $50 million exit fee as unenforceable and does not believe it would hold up in court. He thinks it looks like and unenforceable penalty. It looks like showdown at high noon. We don’t know at this point whether or not FSU will take their shot in court but mean while according to this the FSU administrators are continuing to look into the advantages of moving on financially.

A cost benefit analysis is still being run and FSU legal experts are looking into the legality of the new exit fee. The air of uncertainty continues.

Spetman was given a one year contract only with no raise and as the writer suggests, it seems to signal Barron might be looking for an athletic director with more experience who could navigate the rapids of conference change.

http://www.accsports.com/artic…-story-over.php

Syracuse and Pitt are excellent examples of another mouth to feed. FSU is second to USC in national appeal over the last few years even being down. A championship game and the Champ bowl with the SEC is a mega revenue expander for both the SEC and the Big 12.

http://www.cornnation.com/2012…-bowl-agreement

“But for schools like Florida State, the Big XII is still attractive as it may be the only opening into what could soon become a very exclusionary club.
Remember when some people thought that college football was headed towards four 16 team conferences? Well, those four conferences now have been identified. Now it’s just a matter of how many schools get to play in this new world.”??Dennis Dodd?@dennisdoddcbs??This Big 12/SEC announcement absolutely consolidates power, money in top four leagues. Sugar now mirrors Rose in tradition, money, power,???Matt Hayes?@Matt_HayesSN??Anyone who thinks this won’t lead to more expansion is nuts. It’s on the horizon—and it’s unstoppable.???Stewart Mandel?@slmandel??There may be no more official AQ/non-AQs, but there is now an unofficial line in the sand between SEC/Big 12, Big Ten/Pac-12 & everyone else???I also seriously doubt the SEC would align with the Big 12 like this if they opposed Slive in his quest to keep the playoffs to the 1-4 schools only.??http://www.operationsports.com…-xii-bowl-game/

As has been explained several thousand times, the champs bowl will pay out 80 million dollars, same as the Rose Bowl. For those bad with math, that is 40 million to the SEC and 40 million to the Big 12. In the case of the Big 12 current enrollment that is 4 million dollars per team, 3 million plus for SEC teams. ESPN has agreed to telecast it from 2015 through 2026.

That is about the time Swofford’s chicken 17 million contract runs out. If you are not following or you are a hard learner, the champ bowl alone is almost one fourth of the entire ACC chicken payout. You will notice we don’t see many numbers for the Miami car jack bowl and how much the respective teams will make or how much Swofford will award Notre Dame for the “prestige” they have brought to the ACC. It is a cinch it won’t be 80 million like the Rose or Champs, who make up the big 4.??This was what the 50 million exit fee was all about, a line in the sand, a legal dare.

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

Posted: 14 November 2012 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

For the hard learner “new revenue” means over and above the 20 million in TV money gets on a yearly basis.

NOT 13 MILLION LIKE THE ACC GETS BUT 20 MILLION. THE ACC WILL BE MAKING 17 MILLION BY THE YEAR 2026.

It also means the champs bowl will add another 2 to 3 million to each team in the SEC and Big 12 on that game alone and then since these two leagues have more teams than just a Clemson or FSU, they will have a much greater chance of putting teams in the playoffs which will result in even more money.

Why is this so hard for you?

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

Posted: 19 November 2012 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2012-06-19
HartwoodHokie - 13 November 2012 03:07 PM

First of all Shane isn’t to blame for the run game that can be placed on Stinespring and Curt Newsome (O-line coach). Running back coaches are mostly in charge of running drills and working with the OC on rotation. The blocking scheme and play calling is much more important to the run game as a whole. Also I don’t see Frank agreeing to an Air Raid type of offense. He’s a conservative guy and he’ll stay that way. Can’t say I think it’s a good idea myself though.

You have a point.  Still, though, David Wilson didn’t seem to have the best vision or decision making capabilities.  I would say that some of that is “innate” and that it can’t be coached.

I agree about the O-Line—-> But what about the “rotation” as you mentioned?  These past two games they’ve been a little more consistent but its still unclear who the man is.

The offense would be different.  But from looking at the stats Franklin’s offense is actually quite balanced.  They run a lot, too.  Our main problem is that Stinespring/OCain don’t have a coherent philosophy.  We run the option, we read a lot of plays with zone/stretch blocking—- we run some power I… some single back looks…  Then we throw in these WR screens…

Convince Radford to start a football team and send stiney there.  Then hire a new OC.  Im not sure where OCain would go :D