1 of 2
Clemson vs NCST
Posted: 17 November 2012 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6422
Joined  2008-10-29

Wow what a shootout.  Crazy crazy offense.  We looked good there.  TERRIBLE defense, gave up WAY to many big chunk plays and no pressure on the QB.  Special teams was pathetic (kick coverage).  Did I say how AWESOME our offense is?

Hope Venables chews their ass.  Guess that pregame speech by Ray Lewis didn’t work to well for the defense.

Go Tigers!  Looking forward to beating those lamecocks next week.  Night game in the valley!!!!!!

Signature 

FIRE ROBBIE CALDWELL!!!!!!!

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 17 November 2012 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-02-04

Why was Ray Lewis on the Clemson sideline?

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 17 November 2012 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Just brought in as a guest speaker.

And if Boyd isn’t mentioned in Heisman talks now then the whole country is NUTS.  Guy directs 700+ yds of offense tonight and had 8 TDs, 100Yds rushing and 3 TDs by himself…just tonight.  His QB rating is better then most on the list anyway.

Signature 

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 18 November 2012 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Just soooooooo relieved that our defense was “in control” of that game…..what???

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=11164

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-05-22
Clemtgrs - 18 November 2012 01:27 AM

Just soooooooo relieved that our defense was “in control” of that game…..what???

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=11164

Careful Clemtgers, someone might call you a “Negative Nancy” for pointing this out.  We certainly have the talent to win out, & next year should be crazy (provided The Chad does not get hired by Tennessee), but the next 2 games could be embarrassing based on our defensive performance up to now.

You’re right, our defense was horrible.  There were bright spots for sure, but overall our D was simply horrible.  Here are some final #s: 48 points against, 597 yards against (493 passing), 496 all-purpose yards (2nd most all-time in FBS history) including 219 yards receiving & 3 TDs to Palmer, Thornton rushes for 114 yards, kick coverage gives up astronomical yardage, & 18 big plays against (5 going for TDs).  It unbelievable

Going into SC, & possibly a BCS opponent, we’re were ranked 69th in total D, yet this is somehow actually an improvement over our rank of 71st last year.  We’re improved in many individual defensive categories over last year, but we’re still giving up .17 more yards per play (5.77 to 5.60), & 13.9 yards more per game (408.3 to 394.4).  IMO that’s more a factor of our horrible SOS than our defensive play.  Here are some interesting, & telling stats about our D:

—225 of the 779 plays against us (28.9%) have been runs over 5 yards or passes over 10 yards.
—143 of 416 rushes against us (34.4%) have been for 5+ yards.
—82 of 211 completions against us (38.9%) have been for 10+ yards.
—146 of 779 plays against us (18.7%) have been for 10+ yards (basically almost 1 in 5 plays against us goes for a 1st down).
—5-9 yard rushes = 79
—10-19 yard plays = 85 (43 passes & 42 rushes).
—20-29 yard plays = 30 (20 passes & 10 rushes).
—30-39 yard plays = 17 (10 passes & 7 rushes).
—40-49 yard plays = 8 (4 passes & 4 rushes).
—50+ yard plays = 6 (5 passes & 1 rushes).
—25 of the 33 TDs against us (75.8%—15 passes & 10 rushes) have been on runs over 5 yards or passes over 10 yards.  If you take out runs of less than 10 yards, the total is still 22 of 33 (66.7%) big play TDs.

These are truly horrible numbers.  It is absolutely amazing that Clemson has won 10 games.  FSU & VT have already showed that if we play a competent D, our offense gets flustered & is not nearly as dynamic.  This makes us extremely vulnerable.  LUCKILY our opposing offenses this season have been ranked an average of 70.6.  This would probably be worse if you could accurately rank Furman w/the FBS opponents we’ve played.  If you take FSU & Ball State out of that mix, our opposing O rank drops to 84.5.  Also, Our opponents’ combined record this season is 58-63 (.479), & again, if you take out FSU & Ball State, that record falls to 40-59 (.404).

Again, we certainly have the talent to win out, but the next 2 games could be embarrassing if Venables doesn’t plug some holes…quickly.

Signature 

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Losers practice until they get it right.  Winners practice until they can’t get it wrong.

Posted: 18 November 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-22

The fact that we’re sitting @ 10-1 right now is amazing.  This is a true testament to The Chad, & our offense.  Boyd, our OL, Nuk, Ellington, Watkins, & Ford have been amazing, & our role players have been excellent as well.

Probably the most important part of our success has been our OL.  This was the top concern going into the season, but has turned into our biggest strength.

Through just 11 games we’ve amassed 5892 total offensive yards (535.6 per game…2245 rushing, 3647 passing)…just 279 yards short of our 14 game total in 2011 (6171 total offensive yards/440.8 per game…2219 rushing, 3952 passing).  We’re 6th in total offense as of now…up 20 spots from where we finished last year.  This should take a hit over the next 2 games, but even if we only average 300 yards per game over the next 2, that would still have us ranked 13th based on current averages.

This is certainly the result of excellent skill players executing, well, excellently, but a young, inexperienced & maligned OL that has played well above expectations deserves much of the credit for where we are now.  W/o them, none of our skill players put up the numbers they have.

& I’ll throw this one in for CUT4L.  I’ve said before (though I doubt he’d remember b/c all he remembers is when people slight Dabo) that Dabo is an excellent recruiter, & excellent motivator (when he’s not channeling his mentor & showing his inner-Bowden).  He’s not an Xs & Os guy, though he could be at some point, & he’s excelled this year in ensuring that his coaching staff is solid & staying out of their way so they can do the job he hired them to do.  That’s not easy for a newer coach who’s trying to prove that he can run things.  I worry how that will change when The Chad inevitably leaves for his HC opportunity & that puts pressure on Dabo to perform in his absence, but for now he’s doing the right things.

Signature 

Losers practice until they get it right.  Winners practice until they can’t get it wrong.

Posted: 18 November 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2012-07-10

It is hard to not be a little distraught after the defensive performance.  When they were hot,they were playing really good defense, but when they stunk they really stunk.  I will say that Glennon is probably the best QB we will play this year and his receivers were catching just about everything thrown at them.  Perhaps this was a good wake up call for them.  I don’t know.

These high tempo spread offenses are running up ridiculous numbers all around the nation and we may have to redefine what is playing “good"defense.  Well Stanford did shut down Oregon which I really didn’t expect to occur.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-22
_ClemScott_ - 18 November 2012 01:40 PM

These high tempo spread offenses are running up ridiculous numbers all around the nation and we may have to redefine what is playing “good"defense.  Well Stanford did shut down Oregon which I really didn’t expect to occur.

You make 2 good points.  1, yes, the change in offenses does mean that there will be higher #s put up against defenses, & a change in mentality is necessary there.  2, it is possible to stop high powered offenses.  That said…

1, even though offenses are starting to put up Tecmo Bowl numbers, & expectations should shift, that still doesn’t change the basics of defensive play.  Solid fundamentals, taking good angles to the ball, good tackling, not getting caught out of position, etc.  The offenses will get their numbers, but the end result will not be as bad if we play sound defense.  We have yet to do that.  Sure, some will say that we’re breaking in a new DC, but his system is supposed to be MUCH simpler to learn and implement than Steele’s…or so say the coaches & players anyway.

2, the key is pressure.  As The Chad says, & many commentators have pointed out, our offense does not work well unless we’re setting the tempo.  This is the same w/any spread, high-tempo offense.  Even though these offenses spread the defense thin, they also spread themselves thin.  If you can cover people just long enough to get pressure, the high-tempo offenses start to sputter.  You’ve seen it happen w/us.  Once a good D adjusts, our offense slows & becomes vulnerable.

Hopefully we start shoring up our problems.  If we do, w/our offense, we could easily be partying like it’s 1981 again.  Of course, we’ve got a lot of problems to fix until then.  Hopefully The Chad is still around @ that point.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2125
Joined  2009-09-09
4schitzngrins - 18 November 2012 01:31 PM

The fact that we’re sitting @ 10-1 right now is amazing.  This is a true testament to The Chad, & our offense.  Boyd, our OL, Nuk, Ellington, Watkins, & Ford have been amazing, & our role players have been excellent as well.

Probably the most important part of our success has been our OL.  This was the top concern going into the season, but has turned into our biggest strength.

Through just 11 games we’ve amassed 5892 total offensive yards (535.6 per game…2245 rushing, 3647 passing)…just 279 yards short of our 14 game total in 2011 (6171 total offensive yards/440.8 per game…2219 rushing, 3952 passing).  We’re 6th in total offense as of now…up 20 spots from where we finished last year.  This should take a hit over the next 2 games, but even if we only average 300 yards per game over the next 2, that would still have us ranked 13th based on current averages.

This is certainly the result of excellent skill players executing, well, excellently, but a young, inexperienced & maligned OL that has played well above expectations deserves much of the credit for where we are now.  W/o them, none of our skill players put up the numbers they have.

& I’ll throw this one in for CUT4L.  I’ve said before (though I doubt he’d remember b/c all he remembers is when people slight Dabo) that Dabo is an excellent recruiter, & excellent motivator (when he’s not channeling his mentor & showing his inner-Bowden).  He’s not an Xs & Os guy, though he could be at some point, & he’s excelled this year in ensuring that his coaching staff is solid & staying out of their way so they can do the job he hired them to do.  That’s not easy for a newer coach who’s trying to prove that he can run things.  I worry how that will change when The Chad inevitably leaves for his HC opportunity & that puts pressure on Dabo to perform in his absence, but for now he’s doing the right things.

Ah 4shitz….......If we win at least 10 games a season and are a national player you can fuss about whatever bug is up your behind on any given day.

I actually don’t disagree with you about Dabo and play calling. I think some HC’s screw up games trying to be too involved.  Dabo strength is identifying talented players and coaches and surrounding himself with him…...and then allow them to do their jobs and manage them accordingly.

If Dabo turns Clemson into a place that creates head coaches rather than ends a career that is fine with me.

On the defense, I don’t think they are all of the adjectives that are being used on them but they are a work in progress….no question about that…...But they are making far more good defensive plays now at the end of the season than they were at the beginning.  Venables needs a year or 2 of good recruiting and development to really get a measure on him….We are not getting burned by Zone reads like we used to.

Signature 

“If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head”

Jameis Winston: 2013

Posted: 18 November 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-22
CU_Tigers4life - 18 November 2012 02:15 PM

Ah 4shitz….......If we win at least 10 games a season and are a national player you can fuss about whatever bug is up your behind on any given day.

On the defense, I don’t think they are all of the adjectives that are being used on them but they are a work in progress….no question about that…...But they are making far more good defensive plays now at the end of the season than they were at the beginning.

CUT4L, if you would take off your orange glasses, you’d easily see that if it weren’t for an amazingly easy schedule, we wouldn’t have 10 wins or be a national player this season.  The fact that we are 10-1 & are stagnant in the rankings while teams ahead of us lose & teams behind us rise should clue you in to that at least a little bit.  But yes, if we continue to win despite our glaring weaknesses, that would show growth as a team, b/c winners find a way to finish the job despite the circumstances.  & I would be happy w/that.  That has to be the norm though…until now that has been the exception.  It would also be nice if we could prove that we could win despite weakness against anything other than slightly less than mediocre competition.

Though even though I can point out the good in the team, it’s impossible for you to give any real criticism to the bad…even when it’s painfully obvious.  “Work in progress”...SMH.  Our defense is horrible.  While that certainly is “a bug up my behind”, & hard for you to admit, it’s a fact, & it’s justified by the numbers as well as the anecdotal evidence.

Even though the D has shown some improvement in certain areas lately, they’ve shown in many ways that nothing has changed for the better.  We’re still giving up a staggering amounts of big play yardage, & many of those big plays go for TDs.  & remember, this improvement you’re talking about has come against Wake, Duke, Maryland & NCSU…the 87th, 117th, 120th & 46th ranked offenses in the country.  Oh, & NCSU was 59th in total offense before they played our “improving” D & jumped 13 spots.

Like I said, if we can continue to win against (especially against quality opponents) despite these glaring weaknesses, then I can say that we’ve improved b/c in the past this was a kiss of death.  It will be telling to see how we respond to real opponents.  We’ve lost to & narrowly escaped the only 2 we’ve played so far.  The good news is that SCAR is the 93rd ranked offense…but they are strong where we are weak & have a potent, opportunistic D.  If we can get past them, then we’ll likely face another true test.  Hopefully we’ll have pulled it all together by then b/c that could be scary w/our offense.

As I’ve alway said, time will tell, but we have not done anything consistently over the last decade except be mediocre & fail to meet expectations.  I’m extremely eager for this to change, but not so eager that I will blind myself to reality.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

We really have missed far too many therapy sessions old friend…..I can very quickly condense your rather lengthy paragraphs into “We are good but we suck…...and our schedule is weak”....

4schitz…..we play the schedule that we have.  It is not our fault VT, a perennial 10 game winner fell apart this year…GT is falling apart as well…Auburn won the National title 2 years ago and look at them….How is that our problem?.....We schedule what is supposed to be pretty good outside of conference teams that are supposed to improve our SOS if we perform well….....

If we beat South Carolina and win our Bowl presumably against a quality opponent, we will finish as a top 10 team and would have played enough quality teams at the end of the year to make a strong statement. 

As far as Schedules, South Carolina and UGA haven’t played that much better of a schedule than Clemson…Both teams have played 3 of the 4 schools that will most likely have Head coaches fired at the end of the season..UT and UK has already done the deed and Arky and Auburn will do so soon…...Clemson will have played FSU and South Carolina as their toughest game…remove either of their 2 toughest games and the quality of competition isn’t as far apart as you would think.

Back to Clemson’s defense.  I am just not going to go as far as you are.  I grant you that they are not an elite squad, but for heaven’s sake they are starting to make some big plays.  I think that the problems we have are nothing that a little maturity, continue development and of course recruiting cannot fix.

Old friend, when we were sparring on Clemson as a 7-8 win team, you made some really strong points and my whole position was based on faith and belief in what were were recruiting and developing….......which I may say I was right for the most part…..But I could have been just as easily wrong.

In closing I have a question…....

If we beat Carolina and win either the BCS bowl or Peach bowl will you finally be satisfied?

Signature 

“If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head”

Posted: 18 November 2012 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  578
Joined  2009-07-04

Our defense’s front seven are playing better but the three seniors in the secondary are either plain horrible or it is coaching. While Coach Harbison has a great reputation, I think he needs to go. We have been so bad in the secondary the past few years, there is no way it is players. We’ll see if Dabo and BV have the guts to make the call in Clemson’s best interest and replace him after the season. State score 4 -5 TDs in one play yesterday. We need to stop making excuses for inadequent coaching and do what is best fro the program. Add Danny Pearman to the list of people who need to go.

We are close to being a really, really good program. Gotta keep pushing for the best!

Posted: 18 November 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-22
CU_Tigers4life - 18 November 2012 03:47 PM

We really have missed far too many therapy sessions old friend…..I can very quickly condense your rather lengthy paragraphs into “We are good but we suck…...and our schedule is weak”.

In closing I have a question…If we beat Carolina and win either the BCS bowl or Peach bowl will you finally be satisfied?

Your opening statement & closing question prove that you cannot see beyond your own opinion.  You’ve poorly paraphrased my position, & ignored the fact that I’ve already addressed your question.

Sorry my posts are too lengthy for you (& some others), but it’s not my style to make drive-by posts.  & if I just simply said, “our defense sucks” & didn’t explain why I said that, you & others would (and have) complain that I didn’t know what I was talking about & demand proof.  See how that works?  At any rate, you’r not condensing my post, you’re oversimplifying & misrepresenting it.  We are not simply “good but we suck…and our schedule is weak”.

We have a great offense, that is led by a great OC & executed by great talent, but solid defenses are capable of adjusting to our offense & exploiting its weak spots.  This becomes a problem b/c if you slow or stop our offense, our defense cannot stop opposing offenses.  We have an HC whose recruiting prowess has never been questioned, & I’m willing to shelve my negatives for him for the time being b/c he’s finally learned to get out of the way & let his coaches coach.  These are good things, & I can expand on them, but quite frankly, I don’t need to…they are obvious to most Clemson fans & there are enough cheerleaders to beat that drum.

No, to a large degree we cannot do a thing about our schedule, but I don’t know why you keep harping on that b/c the schedule itself is not my point.  I would have thought that fairly obvious.  My point is that we cannot say that we’ve turned the corner, or produced a body of work that sets the standard for our future based on playing a weak schedule.  It’s nice that we’ve beaten these weaker teams, as that is something we have not done for a long, long time; however, it’s easy to look like a world-beater when you’re playing schools that are struggling.  Our D SHOULD have been making plays against the offenses we’ve faced recently.  It concerns me that we’ve struggled defensively against a weak schedule, & it should concern you as well.  We won’t know where we stand on D until we play a decent offense.  As Oregon & KSU proved this year (& countless other teams have proven in the past), you can only win for so long w/a poor defense…no matter how good your offense is.

As for your question about my satisfaction, I’ll say this (even though I’ve already answered this question).  Regardless of how the season turns out from this point, I will be happy…just as I was happy w/our accomplishments last year.  Now, I’ll pause a second for you to pick yourself off the floor after reading that statement….........................................ok.  You see, it is possible to be happy AND concerned at the same time.  It is possible to see the positive AND the negative.  I’m an analytical mind by nature & by profession, so while I certainly see the positives, I concern myself w/the negatives b/c most people look past them, & I’d like to see them turned into positives.  & if you’re not mindful of your weaknesses, they will hurt you.  It’s not a question of if, but when.

I was happy w/our 10 wins last year & our ACC Championship & BCS berth, but I was disappointed in our epic collapse, & concerned that if we did not fix the conditions that led to that collapse that we were vulnerable for more of the same.  I am happy w/our 10 win season thus far, but disappointed that we lost to FSU…not b/c we lost, but HOW we lost & b/c we threw the game away.  I’m happy that we’re on the verge of possibly hitting 12 wins for only the 2nd time in school history, but also concerned that 11 games into the season I cannot have any faith in our defense heading into this crucial stretch.  We certainly could continue the trend of winning despite our “defense”, but I’d rather us correct our problems, or at least improve on them, rather than having to rely on an offensive shootout.

At any rate, if we win out over SCAR & a BCS or Peach Bowl opponent, I will not be “satisfied”.  I will be happy in the outcome, but I will not be “satisfied” w/Clemson until winning consistently becomes the norm again.  I won’t be “satisfied” until “pulling a Clemson” is a forgotten phrase in the CFB lexicon.  One season could possibly be a baseline, but it certainly is not a measuring stick.  We won’t know where we are until some time has passed.  So again, while I may be happy, no, I will not be satisfied.  Happiness can be fleeting…satisfaction is more of a sustained emotional state. 

We don’t have to win all the time…nobody can do that.  You love to say that I won’t be happy unless we’re duplicating Alabama’s success, but that’s not true.  That said, consider this.  There is no reason why we can’t duplicate what Auburn has done.  The similarities between our schools, fan base & recruiting footprint are staggering.  They’ve certainly had their share of disappointment, this year especially, but they’ve more than balanced that out w/their share of success.  There is no reason why we can’t duplicate this…especially given that we play in a lesser conference w/lesser competition.  We were on that level for almost 15 years, & there’s no reason why we can’t go there again.  I would be very satisfied w/that.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-22
Orange&Purple; - 18 November 2012 04:45 PM

We are close to being a really, really good program. Gotta keep pushing for the best!

^^^

This.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
4schitzngrins - 18 November 2012 05:05 PM
Orange&Purple; - 18 November 2012 04:45 PM

^^^

This.

Then say it….BTW, I resent you offering a one word reply when I get an essay…LMAO…

“We are good….yet we suck…and we play a weak schedule” That is you my good friend

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5752
Joined  2008-11-01

4schitz is entirely correct. If I were Tennessee I would go straight for Chad Morris also. If Clemson were smart if Tennessee made that offer, I would top it make Morris head coach at Clemson, as Morris goes so goes Clemson. If you lose him, exactly who does Dabo have in mind to replace him?

The South Carolina game is big as far as the Clemson season.

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat

1 of 2