Have you had a traditional Thanksgiving lunch or dinner this year?
Posted: 22 November 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3299
Joined  2008-10-29

We used to do that. A few years ago I realized it wasn’t fair to my wife, and we started eating from restaurants or catered dinners. This year we had Eastern NC barbecue, fried chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, brunswick stew, hush puppies, and pecan and apple pies for dessert.

I don’t mind if we do this every year.

Signature 

I’m quite lucky. I have a lovely wife, two great kids and an ever improving golf game.

Posted: 23 November 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  653
Joined  2012-06-16

Traditional. Bird, stuffing, taters, squash casserole, stuffed mushrooms etc.  I do all the cooking.  Though I enjoy it, most of the time it feels more like a chore that has to be done as quickly as possible (except when it comes to BBQ).  But on Thanksgiving it’s different. You can’t rush a turkey and what’s the rush anyway?  I’m not going anywhere.  There’s three football games on and my fridge is full of good food and drink.  The familiar smells of roast turkey, bacon and onions (best damn stuffing ever) and the taste of foods that I love but only make once a year.  I also like the challenge of timing the preparation of 7 or 8 different dishes to be ready at the same time.  Then there’s the leftovers.  I’m not sure that the leftovers aren’t better than the meal.  Here’s the key.  None of the stress-inducing relatives are allowed at TG.  That’s what Christmas is for.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 23 November 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3299
Joined  2008-10-29

sounds like you had a nice spread. We were just my wife, two daughters, and me. I watched a little football, but the NFL has more trouble keeping my attention than college ball. The weather was great, and I spent some time outside. The winter kind of makes me depressed a little bit. I have to enjoy the 60’s while there here. I went and visited my daddy, and we talked a while. All in all it was a very good day for me. I really enjoyed the barbecue and pie and all the rest. The stew was especially good.

As for Christmas.. it will probably be more of the same. Although, my wife bought a lot of stuff to make some baked goods, and I don’t mind if they keep coming from now until Christmas.

I’m glad you had a nice time. I was down at Clemson last year, but didn’t have the opportunity to meet any of the fans here (that I know of). If Clemson ever comes to UNC (before they leave the ACC) maybe some of you guys can come up, and I can show you a good time.

Signature 

I’m quite lucky. I have a lovely wife, two great kids and an ever improving golf game.