My Thoughts on the Auburn Job
Posted: 28 November 2012 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1240
Joined  2011-07-22

http://www.southernpigskin.com/SEC/view/war-eagle-no-thanks

Give it a read and let me know if you agree with my take.

Signature 

Be sure to give me a follow on Twitter: @UrbanWhiteGuy

Posted: 28 November 2012 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2012-06-19

I agree. —->

But I think most of the reason is because of their neighbor in the state.  If Saban wasn’t at Bama I think that job becomes a lot more attractive.

Posted: 28 November 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2009-05-11

Interesting article. I think some of it is true. However, the reality here is that if ANY of the big 5 SEC schools (LSU, Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn) go 3-9 in a season they would fire their coach. Period. You just can’t pay coaches that much and have that much fan support and passion and go 3-9 and lose to your main rival 3-9. Its just how it is. Would happen the same way at any other top SEC school after a season like that. It is a good move by Auburn and they will hire a solid coach.

Auburn is the only team with 2 undefeated seasons within the last decade and as your article states, is consistently one of the winningest programs in the nation over time.  Just a blip on the radar for AU right now.

Signature 

Jeremy Hillman
SEC Writer
http://www.southernpigskin.com
Twitter: @SECpigskin
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 03 December 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  576
Joined  2008-10-29

Gotta agree with Hillman here. Sure it doesn’t sound good to win a national championship and get fired 2 years later but that only tells a small part of this story. He followed that national championship with an 8-5 year and then an atrocious year that included 0 SEC or meaningful wins. Had Auburn gone 7-6 or 8-5 or even 5-7 or something again, I think he would’ve been fine. I don’t think any realistic fan expects us to be Alabama, but we would sure like to be competitive! However, the product that was put on the field these last few weeks was absolutely embarrassing and unacceptable.

This is a big boy game and coaches know what they are in for. If Chizik is crying, he’s crying all the way to the bank. I’m sure there will be plenty of good coaches who wouldn’t mind giving it a go at Auburn to the tune of $3 mill a year. If you think this is bad, I’m eagerly awaiting your article on Mark Richt. Seems UGA fans want him gone every year and all he does is win year after year.

Signature 

2010 National Champions

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5653
Joined  2008-11-01

Some good observations there. Reading Auburn forums, which I do at times, reveals part of the problem. Many of them are dead set on a 3 yard and cloud of dust philosophy with the pass thrown in once in awhile.

Back when they were replacing Tuberville, many of them trashed Tony Franklin and what they called the “gimmick offense.” Then lo and behold Malzahn comes in and gives them a NC with his gimmick offense.

Switch to next scene, Tony Franklin is at ULM lightning it up with guess who, Tony Franklin and Sonny is in the discussion as next Auburn coach.

Meanwhile Tuberville is at Texas Tech lightning it up with Neal Brown as OC, a disciple of Leach/Dana Holgorson and one of those gimmick offenses.

By the way Tuberville is widely rumored to be headed back to the SEC to Arky and will bring the “gimmick” offense.

The sad part of it all is Auburn’s best hope against the Saban machine is a good coach who can run a spread, win games with less talent than Bama is putting on the field. This is the exact thing you might note that Saban is complaining about, fast break spread offenses that hurry up. His SEC type defenses are not geared to stop such contraptions.

If I were a sought after coach I would never go to Auburn. Right now they are talking about Petrino and how they could forgive his “sins.” A large part of the fan base is more concerned about whether or not he could be Christianized rather than win football games.

They also seem to want both Gogue and Jacobs fired on the spot and running a seven eleven in the local area. Some claim that Jacobs told Chizik’s staff not to do business with stores in the area who were friends of Tuberville. It all has a small town flavor that remind one of old Peyton Place series.

And then we hear the NCAA is still going to want some splaining about a few things very soon.

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

Of course Auburn fans say if Tubby ever comes back to the SEC area it will be only to open a catfish restaurant!

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010&t=10784825

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

Posted: 03 December 2012 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  413
Joined  2012-07-10

Chad Morris is interviewing for the job today.

Signature 

Posted: 03 December 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

For auburn?

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

Posted: 03 December 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2009-05-11
_ClemScott_ - 03 December 2012 04:14 PM

Chad Morris is interviewing for the job today.

From Pete Roussel….

“Auburn: Despite a report that has surfaced, sources tell me that Auburn has NOT setup an interview with Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris at this point.”

I have also confirmed this as rumor.

Jimbo Fisher, Gary Patterson, and Gus Malzahn continue to be the top 3 candidates with Bobby Petrino in the mix as a fall-back.

Signature 

Jeremy Hillman
SEC Writer
http://www.southernpigskin.com
Twitter: @SECpigskin
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 03 December 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2619
Joined  2008-10-30

Jimbo is going to have a rough season next year coaching 4 teams.

Signature 

2012 ACC Football Champions
2012 Orange Bowl Champions
2013 Florida state Champions
2013 ACC Football Champions
2013 NCAA National Champions

“This is our time, it ain’t their time!”
-Jimbo

Posted: 04 December 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2012-11-28

Saw on ESPN last night that Kirby Smart was talking to Auburn about the position. I’m sure that won’t sit very well with the Alabama faithful.

Posted: 04 December 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6351
Joined  2008-10-29

Gus Malzahn back to Auburn.  Hope he looks forward to dealing with another NCAA nightmare.  Good idea to jump off the Auburn sinking ship after the championship…..but not sure he is hopping back on deck at the right time.

Signature 

FIRE CHAD MORRIS, SHOTGUN EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!!!!!!!  But fire Robbie Caldwell first.

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.