Louisville to ACC
Posted: 28 November 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  458
Joined  2011-04-22

Appears official now per ESPN. Great call by the ACC. Definitely an upgrade from Maryland, especially if this keeps Charlie Strong from leaving for the SEC.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 28 November 2012 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2650
Joined  2011-02-04

It makes me wonder if this is the only move. There is a lot of good things Louisville brings to the ACC, definite upgrade to UMd, though I still think better moves could have been made.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  653
Joined  2012-06-16

I’m just happy it’s not (for now) UCONN or anything out of Ohio.  Louisville is the best choice out there.  You know how coaches will visit other programs in the offseason to pick up ideas for their O or D?  I think the FSU AD should visit Louisville and find out how they out-earn FSU on Big East money.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  371
Joined  2012-07-10

I actually think the ACC traded up athletically.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4777
Joined  2008-10-29

I agree, very good move. I have to admit I thought the presidents and ESPN were going to force UConn on us, and they still might but Louisville will be a great addition.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5426
Joined  2008-10-29

Agreed surprisingly, very good move.  If it has to be done then this is so much better then Maryland…..this was my first choice.

Signature 

2014 BCS Orange Bowl Champions
Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

“First team from the state of South Carolina to win a BCS bowl” - Dabo Swinney

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I am going to mark that one down as your first positive ACC post ever.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Interesting stuff prior to the vote:
http://www.accsports.com/blogs/david-glenn/2012112714123/acc-will-vote-on-expansion-wednesday-morning.php

And the formal invite:
http://www.accsports.com/wires/2012112814130/acc-extends-formal-invitation-for-membership-to-louisville.php

Signature 

- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2152
Joined  2009-01-07

Louisville is a good choice. If they can keep Charlie Strong, they should be a solid addition for football and they have a good basketball tradition.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5426
Joined  2008-10-29

Its more of a If I have to stay here, I’m not going to wallow in shit attitude.

I have nothing against Louisville, they aren’t all basketball they have an up and coming football program, they are a school with some money, and would upgrade our SOS wayyyyyyyy more then Maryland would.  And its a school I don’t hate.  I can watch a Louisville game and be impartial or cheer for them, they’ve given me no reason to hate them yet.  Out of the bunch…...this is the best we could do and we did it.

Signature 

2014 BCS Orange Bowl Champions
Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

“First team from the state of South Carolina to win a BCS bowl” - Dabo Swinney

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 28 November 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2012-05-17
SoPinesHeel - 28 November 2012 12:13 PM

Interesting stuff prior to the vote:
http://www.accsports.com/blogs/david-glenn/2012112714123/acc-will-vote-on-expansion-wednesday-morning.php

And the formal invite:
http://www.accsports.com/wires/2012112814130/acc-extends-formal-invitation-for-membership-to-louisville.php

Interesting about the TV markets and academics.  I knew they would be low on the academics side, but not that low.  Also, I though they would have a bigger TV market.  One thing that would be interesting to see would be how much of a market outside of their state that schools capture.  Like Charlotte and parts of Georgia would tune in to watch the Clemson games as we have a lot of alumni/fans outside of our state since we’re right here next to both NC and GA.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 28 November 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2012-07-10

In my opinion, this is the first positive move that the ACC has made in the “conference realignment” era.

Let’s be honest, football and basketball are the only two sports that MOST people care about, and Louisville was the only team in the Big East that offered quality programs in both sports.

Signature 

WE’RE GOING BOWLING!!!!!!

Posted: 28 November 2012 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5179
Joined  2008-11-01

I sort of feel sorry for them, it is a bit like that movie Titanic, but in this case Jack tries to get off the raft and grab the tail end of the sinking ship as it plunges under the waves.

Signature 

I’m your Huckleberry

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat FSU

Posted: 28 November 2012 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29
Clemtgrs - 28 November 2012 12:16 PM

Its more of a If I have to stay here, I’m not going to wallow in shit attitude.

I have nothing against Louisville, they aren’t all basketball they have an up and coming football program, they are a school with some money, and would upgrade our SOS wayyyyyyyy more then Maryland would.  And its a school I don’t hate.  I can watch a Louisville game and be impartial or cheer for them, they’ve given me no reason to hate them yet.  Out of the bunch…...this is the best we could do and we did it.

I am glad to hear it. I get that you feel you would fit in better other places, but I do think you will stay and I would much rather be in a neighborhood where people can at least tolerate their neighbors instead of constantly snipeing and gripeing.

Signature 

- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 28 November 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29
Seminole - 28 November 2012 05:14 PM

I sort of feel sorry for them, it is a bit like that movie Titanic, but in this case Jack tries to get off the raft and grab the tail end of the sinking ship as it plunges under the waves.

Well it would have been quicker for him than freezing to death.

Signature 

- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 30 November 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab—louisville-s-move-to-acc-a-sporting-miracle-192050157.html

I think Louisville is an American success story of building yourself from the ground up with very little advantage.

I am also excited about having a school that is genuinely happy to be here. It will be a nice change.

Signature 

- Airplane! (1980)