The ACC can improve it’s football with 1 simple thing
Posted: 30 November 2012 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2720
Joined  2011-02-04

Convince Duke and Wake Forest to drop to FCS level for football.

I know both of these programs are trying their best to build itself up and I applaud the recent effort even if it was too little too late. However, it’s unlikely that their local and national interest will get any better even if their football teams improve. They should take a page from Notre Dame’s success, go Independent and play nationally, but really the size of these schools are better suited at the FCS level.

You are probably wondering how I would convince them to drop to the FCS level especially since they are investing so much into their programs? There are several things I would sell them on:

(1) You would easily enter the FCS level as the 2 best teams, thus winning championships for years to come.

(2) At the FCS level, you can drop some of your non-revenue sports programs to save you money.

(3) It would help keep the current ACC together. (More on this)

(4) The ACC will still give you an equal share of the tv money.

Why this would be good for the ACC:

(1) Better weekly matchups

(2) Higher average fan attendance

(3) Going back to 12 members, teams from the other division will play each other more frequently.

(4) More talent available for the other members.

(5) Improved conference reputation.

I still believe that 12 is the best number for conference members. Without Wake and Duke watering down the product, average fan attendance across the conference would improve. The money coming off of increased attendance will give anyone who was thinking about leaving the ACC more incentive to stay together.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 30 November 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4917
Joined  2008-10-29

I see your points but I just don’t think creating more disparity and instability is the answer.

Nobody would agree to your proposal either. I think more realistic ideas are here:

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/08/a-gameplan-for-the-accs-future-survival-prosperity/

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 30 November 2012 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

Good ideas presented by Chad Scott. I don’t think my ideas and his ideas have to be one or the other, but are totally unrelated and one won’t effect the other.

His ideas seem to start with Youtube to create a demand, then sell them out to television networks. That is fine when it comes to coaches shows, highlight videos, etc.

My idea require less creativity, but is what every AD is secretly thinking. They know that home games with Wake and Duke is not going to sell out their stadium. They also know that fans are less likely to buy season tickets and they can’t charge as much for them with too many duds on their schedule.

Duke and Wake is not being kicked to the curb, but rather used in a way that maximizes profit for the ACC. UNC and NCSU can still play these guys in football, but they’ll have to do it in Keenan or C-F.

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2611
Joined  2008-10-30

The ACC needs to do something. With FSU’s road games at Clemson and FU next year, what home game am I suppose to go to and enjoy next season? It may be the first year I don’t go to a game in a long time.

Actually, FSU needs to do something. Big 12.

Signature 

2012 ACC Football Champions
2012 Orange Bowl Champions
2013 Florida state Champions
2013 ACC Football Champions
2013 NCAA National Champions

“This is our time, it ain’t their time!”
-Jimbo

Posted: 30 November 2012 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2181
Joined  2009-01-07

I don’t see them as the main problem though they certainly don’t help. Kentucky and Vandy don’t help the SEC much but that’s not the identity of the conference. The ACC needs for Clemson, FSU, UNC, VT, Miami, NCSU, GT to get better. All of those teams have the ability to field a good team and have at times. If they were all playing well, Duke and Wake wouldn’t do much to bother the image of ACC football and would just be the weaker teams in a pretty good conference. The problem is that the some of the other teams are able to be lumped in with them right now.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 30 November 2012 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

I’m all for everybody getting better and I hope everybody does before we get to the “look in”. I’m not convinced that ESPN will pay the ACC a fair market value even if the conference improves. I’d like for the ACC to do what they can that they actually control.

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04
93N99 - 30 November 2012 04:29 PM

The ACC needs to do something. With FSU’s road games at Clemson and FU next year, what home game am I suppose to go to and enjoy next season? It may be the first year I don’t go to a game in a long time.

Actually, FSU needs to do something. Big 12.

Miami, VT, NCSU, Maryland (the farewell tour)

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  2008-11-01

We have reached a point in college football where road games mean nothing in many conferences. Let us be real here, not many fans go to their 6 home games a year and root about on a plane or camper to away games. That type is very rare.

What they want is something worthwhile during those 6 home games, not Wake, Duke, Boston College, Syracuse or Pittsburgh.

Does anyone honestly believe Mizzou fans travel to Baton Rouge, Gainesville, Athens etc in great numbers. Does Texas A&M? Don’t kid yourself. Fans want to see good match ups at home games and also when they turn on the TV ... TV..
TV .... TV that is where the money happens to be also.

Signature 

I’m your Huckleberry

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat FSU