Convince Duke and Wake Forest to drop to FCS level for football.
I know both of these programs are trying their best to build itself up and I applaud the recent effort even if it was too little too late. However, it’s unlikely that their local and national interest will get any better even if their football teams improve. They should take a page from Notre Dame’s success, go Independent and play nationally, but really the size of these schools are better suited at the FCS level.
You are probably wondering how I would convince them to drop to the FCS level especially since they are investing so much into their programs? There are several things I would sell them on:
(1) You would easily enter the FCS level as the 2 best teams, thus winning championships for years to come.
(2) At the FCS level, you can drop some of your non-revenue sports programs to save you money.
(3) It would help keep the current ACC together. (More on this)
(4) The ACC will still give you an equal share of the tv money.
Why this would be good for the ACC:
(1) Better weekly matchups
(2) Higher average fan attendance
(3) Going back to 12 members, teams from the other division will play each other more frequently.
(4) More talent available for the other members.
(5) Improved conference reputation.
I still believe that 12 is the best number for conference members. Without Wake and Duke watering down the product, average fan attendance across the conference would improve. The money coming off of increased attendance will give anyone who was thinking about leaving the ACC more incentive to stay together.