Four 16 team super conferences? Really?
Posted: 30 November 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4750
Joined  2008-10-29

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/2012112914146/are-four-super-conferences-really-inevitable.php

I agree with this. They are not inevitable. I can see some 16 team conferences but like it or not it is HIGHLY unlikely there will be only 4 of them.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 30 November 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  455
Joined  2011-04-22

Not happening. There are 65 “Big 5” teams now with Notre Dame, so the math really doesn’t work. They’re not going to just “kick out” a team like Iowa State or Colorado.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 30 November 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2012-05-08

If it does happen, i dont think it will be 4 super conferences in terms of the conferences we already have, it will probably be SE, NE, Middle America, and West Coast. broken up partly population density, region, and prestige of program.

i think it would be really cool to see a relegation style system where if you win your conference 1 year the next you get bumped up to the next higher conference (like moving from the FCS to FBS),

Year 1:FCS, year2 ACC(member of SE region), year 3 SE region Champions conference, Year 4 National Championship conference, winner of that conferrnce is national champion

you move up/down of you are the top/bottom 3 in your conference respectivly. for the national championship conference its top member from each regional conference is allowed to stay in, all others drop back down to regional and the top 3 from the regional move up.

Signature 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUkxIDlCAAMr7Vq.jpg

Posted: 01 December 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Interesting…I would be fine with football seperating from other sports and playing regional games.

I am all about regionality.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 01 December 2012 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1873
Joined  2009-09-09

The way events are happening, it appears the 16 Team Super Conference is all but inevitable.

All I really care about is Clemson being in one of those but I want to dig into this deeper….

The ACC is acting now like the Big East has been and scrambling to keep the ACC intact…...well I think that is starting to unravel….

The SEC is the one I am most interested in.  When they pick their final 2 teams, who will it be?....If they want to go for TV market, then a couple of NC Schools…If they want to be in the DC market..then UVa and VT…If the want to go for geography, fan base and competition then FSU Clemson…....In Short what the SEC does will affect many things….

The Big 12 may be proactive and try to lock 16 teams up rapid while there are some quality programs available…..I could see them trying to creat an Eastern Division of the Follow 6 schools to compliment WVU:

Clemson
FSU
VT
Uva
Louisville
NCState

This is assuming GT is going to the B1G.  I picked Uva and Vt because I think State Politics force that issue.

But again, Think what the SEC does is going to be big influence

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 01 December 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5178
Joined  2008-11-01

“I am all about regionality.”

Sure Pines, you and Swoffy, that is why Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh are such great fits for the ACC.

Now go get SWofford another cup of coffee.

Signature 

I’m your Huckleberry

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat FSU

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Who ever said I was in support of expansion to begin with?

Once again…I will get coffee as soon as you get some photoshop skill.

Signature 

- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5178
Joined  2008-11-01

It is a bit like show down at high noon. Naturally Clemson and FSU want in the SEC. We hear talk of the SEC wanting those “markets” and branching out helps with TV and Contracts.

However if the SEC stands pat on this assumption what they do is allow the Big 12 brand to expand into the heart of the south east. That is what they are not so crazy about. The two teams that brings them there with a vengeance is FSU and Clemson.

Sure the SEC can pull in a Carolina team or two but do they really want to watch Oklahoma Texas and crew show up in Tallahassee and Clemson for college game day with FOX sports as the sponsor?

Signature 

I’m your Huckleberry

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat FSU