A Different Perspective on Dabo Swinney:  Is he or Clemson on borrow time?
Posted: 30 November 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2012
Joined  2009-09-09

This is not intended to be an attack on Dabo.  Clemson fans are still raw about the SCAR game, but it is time to move on…

What are good HC’s known for?  Coordinators are easy.  look at a few names:

Rich Rod: High Powered Offense
Nick Saban: Defense
Charlie Strong: Defense
Urban Myer: Offense
Mike Leach: Offense
CPJ: Triple Option

The list goes on an on…......

What is Dabo’s specialty?  Recruiting and that is it!.....He was never a coordinator and was just an offensive position coach.  I guess you could include “manager” but in college football you have have the ability to multitask and be known for that…..

Dabo’s success is directly tied to having competent coordinators all the time.  I don’t think Dabo has the ability to take over one side of the ball like the coaches mentioned above have in the past and can do in the future….

That leads to the main discussion….Are Clemson and/or Dabo on Borrowed time?  If Chad Morris leaves, that will leave a major void in Clemson that is not as easy to duplicate like a pro-style offense…...The Defense is still a project.

If Dabo had a chance to go to another school like Tennessee or Auburn (Doubtful), he should take it.  If Clemson goes into a tailspin, he won’t get another head coaching job at Clemson’s level and He wouldn’t be considered for a coordinator position.

Clemson on the other hand is an a dicey situation. If Dabo succeeds, we all succeed as Clemson fans, but if he busts…whew…who knows?

The situation at Clemson can be potentially more volatile than it looks right now….......

What are your thoughts?

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 30 November 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5310
Joined  2008-11-01

Interesting discussion on that which the Clemson moderator gets very frustrated with.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=46&f=3167&t=10712012

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat

Posted: 30 November 2012 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5310
Joined  2008-11-01

After leaving you that link, I have to say Clemson has had some pretty poor administrators as has FSU.

Let’s face it when all the hoopla about Tommy Bowden started when he was at Tulane, what was really behind the success? Was it Tommy Bowden or was it Rich Rod? Bowden’s best days at Clemson all revolved around Rich Rod. When he left not much happened afterwards. Bowden could not seem to identify and bring in similar assistants and it led to his down fall.

Right now Clemson may be facing the same matter. Where is the bright spot at Clemson? Of course it is Chad Morris who is reportedly being interviewed by NCSU. They are not interviewing Dabo they are interviewing Morris.

Is Clemson going to let the same thing happen. Can Dabo find another OC of similar quality? Terry Don wasn’t one of the greatest minds in the history of athletic directors.

Signature 

EMBRACE THE HATE

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat

Posted: 30 November 2012 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2012-05-17

I don’t think a coach has to have an identity.  Look at Spurrier, known for his offensive mind, but yet SC is known for it’s defense, not it’s putrid offense.  What is Gary Patterson known for?  He’s a mix of both really and neither is extraordinary, he just puts a good game plan together and his players execute.  The same could be said for Bill Snyder.  I think good coaches recognize the talent they have on their roster and taylor their team and game plan to fit their stregnths and limit their weaknesses.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2011-09-10

CUT4L…. _CS_ will be glad to see that you FINALLY get it…. although, _CS_ waivers at times, depending on success, or lack thereof.

Signature 

The Judge and Jury

Posted: 30 November 2012 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  397
Joined  2012-07-10
TheBoro86 - 30 November 2012 07:43 PM

CUT4L…. _CS_ will be glad to see that you FINALLY get it…. although, _CS_ waivers at times, depending on success, or lack thereof.

Keep me out of this one.  CUT4L will be “all in” soon enough.  If Clemson wins a bowl against an SEC team he will be back to himself.

There is a difference between wavering and seeing no reason to be overly critical when we have back to back decent seasons.  I am not all in, but he hasn’t been terrible.

As for Mr Boro, are still thinking SOS needs to go? It seems I recall you were ready to run him out of town at one point.

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  533
Joined  2009-07-04

I am certainly not a huge Dabo supporter. However, I do think he is an upgrade from Bowden and doesn’t lose games he shouldn’t like Bowden did year after year. I also think HC, just like people in business, can be successful in varying ways. While I totally disagree the comment about Gary Patterson, who is a defensive genius and developed his own unique scheme, Mack Brown has been ultra successful yet he would never hold a coordinator title. Look at Jimbo, great OC yet Dabo beat him to an ACC title with slightly less talent.

I think Dabo could be very successful long-term IF he will do a few things differently/better. However, I am almost convinced he will not do the additional things to get to the next level so he has probably reached his ceiling, and Clemson with it.

Let’s see if he keeps his job next year when the streak to USuC runs to five.

Posted: 01 December 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10
_ClemScott_ - 30 November 2012 10:06 PM
TheBoro86 - 30 November 2012 07:43 PM

Keep me out of this one.  CUT4L will be “all in” soon enough.  If Clemson wins a bowl against an SEC team he will be back to himself.

There is a difference between wavering and seeing no reason to be overly critical when we have back to back decent seasons.  I am not all in, but he hasn’t been terrible.

As for Mr Boro, are still thinking SOS needs to go? It seems I recall you were ready to run him out of town at one point.

Yep..I sure did say that..and do you remember why? He was just managing the coaches and not coaching.  Shortly after that he admitted that he needed to become more involved as the head coach.  Since then he’s done just that.  (he must read my posts)...  But, the point in that is, SOS CAN coach, and chose not to, until he decided that he’s putting his name and reputation on the program..  The question is can Dabo coach or just manage the coaches?  It seems to be the latter..  I also remember from Dabo day 1, a certain _CS_, at the time who went by just _C_, was “all in”.... and was a HUGE supporter after his one and only win against us.. You couldn’t gush enough about him… So, don’t lay it all on CUT4L for being the only one like that.. As usual, you followed me and realized I was right…. One day you’ll look back and thank me for all I’ve done for you.. sheesh.. the lack of gratitude thus far….

Signature 

The Judge and Jury

Posted: 01 December 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-10

Boro, I think I have been fairly consistent in my belief that everything has a shelf life.  Of course I was supporting Dabo.  Ding Dong the wicked witch (bowden) was dead!  Dabo has has done a little better than Bowden, but as has been mentioned before some of that is due to the fact that several ACC teams that was beating Clemson like BC,VT,Wake have taken a downward spiral and Clemson has benefited from that.

BTW, you we sucking SOS’s winky pretty good until I gave you a reality check about 4 years ago.  Damn I wish the transcripts were still available. Heh Heh.

Signature 

Posted: 01 December 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-10
_ClemScott_ - 01 December 2012 03:14 PM

Boro, I think I have been fairly consistent in my belief that everything has a shelf life.  Of course I was supporting Dabo.  Ding Dong the wicked witch (bowden) was dead!  Dabo has has done a little better than Bowden, but as has been mentioned before some of that is due to the fact that several ACC teams that was beating Clemson like BC,VT,Wake have taken a downward spiral and Clemson has benefited from that.

BTW, you we sucking SOS’s winky pretty good until I gave you a reality check about 4 years ago.  Damn I wish the transcripts were still available. Heh Heh.

Not only are you getting older…but your memory is FAILING you!  It took me a long slow time to warm up to SOS… I still have a few reservations about El Steve-o and some of the stuff he does.. So, he’s never been on my ass-kissin’ list….If you remember correctly, I’ve always defended the school..not necessarily the coach.  You NEVER had to straighten me out about SOS.. EVER.. But, I did have to screw your head on straight about Dabo Dabo Do… I’ve had to do rougher work on you..now it’s just smoothing out the edges.. I’ll reiterate that you’ve come a LONG way Grasshopper… Just always remember who gave you your name and your message board game..

Signature 

The Judge and Jury

Posted: 01 December 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-10

I knew that if I set the snare your would take the bait.  Only I can you to take the time to respond to me so eloquently.  As they say, history is always written by the victors

Signature