Jerry Moore retires at App St.
Posted: 02 December 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2008-11-01

Hate seeing it end on a freakin’ blocked extra point! Regardless, thanks for so many great memories Coach!

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205819345

Posted: 02 December 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  461
Joined  2009-07-04

He is clearly a Hall of Fame coach and quality man. All the best to him.

Posted: 03 December 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

Sounding more and more like he was fired. unfortunately. Didn’t want to move to FBS and ASU see’s the green!

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-10-29

Wow…I was wondering about that.

Do you all think it is a mistake if you move to the Sun Belt? I am surprised CUSA is not calling. Are they?

I will just say remember Marshall. They were top dog in 1-AA and now nobody cares anymore.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

At first it was 50-50 split on moving up. Big Fish in little pond vs. small fish / big pond. I have heard the Marshall argument too. Now, I feel the majority want to move up. It’s frustrating to see 30-35,000 a game at Boone then go to Samford, Elon, Chattanooga, etc. and play in front of 2,000-5,000. Kind of makes you think about where you are in the grand scheme of things. A move up would bring in more money, better recruits, being taken more seriously as a legitimate football program, and raise the bar for other athletic programs. However, more losses will come too. Will we lose fan support if we move up and lose? Marshall did have lots of success after moving up initially. Is it sustainable? These questions were studied and looked at by an advisory committee and they still recommended a move up. I don’t know if you’ve been to Boone but I’d think most people would be surprised at the athletics facilities they have. Renovated double-decked football stadium, indoor practice facility, 10,000 seat gym, new baseball field. I’d be willing to bet we have more to sell than most Sun Belt and MAC schools. It’s been long debated up here, but finally looks like movement is coming our way.

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I think yall can pull it off. I hope you get in CUSA instead of the Sun Belt. If Charlotte can you all definitely should be.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 03 December 2012 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01
SoPinesHeel - 03 December 2012 03:51 PM

I think yall can pull it off. I hope you get in CUSA instead of the Sun Belt. If Charlotte can you all definitely should be.

Unfortunately it’s all about TV markets and Charlotte vs. Boone isn’t much of a competition. Probably helps Charlotte has a previous relationship with CUSA. We have an extremely young alumni group as the school has grown so much in recent years. I think more than 75% of alumni are under age of 35. As that generation ages and hopefully move up in their careers, more money will flow in. Athletic Director Charlie Cobb has even said CUSA is where we want to be. A possible CUSA East of Marshall, App, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Southern Miss   and Georgia Southern could be very intriguing. I don’t think Marshall and Southern Miss would like that though. I do feel we’ll offer more than Charlotte on the football field though. I really think we’ll know within the next 2 weeks. Head Coach will be named soon as well.

Posted: 04 December 2012 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Yeah but I would think that App counts both Charlotte and the Triad as its market.

Are you saying App’s head coach or Charlotte. Charlotte has Brad Lambert who used to be at Wake.
It will be interesting to see who App gets.

Signature 

- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 04 December 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

I was referring to App’s being filled very shortly. Spurrier said OL Coach Shawn Elliot has interviewed. He played and coached at ASU up until 3 years ago. More than likely will be him or Satterfield. We do count those markets but convincing that to conferences has been the hard part considering we’re 1 and a half to 2 hours from each. Raleigh/ Durham actually has the second most alums behind Charlotte.

Posted: 04 December 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2012-05-08

as much trash we talk about with the NC mafia, i still would like ASU in the ACC over a program like Pitt or UCON

Signature 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUkxIDlCAAMr7Vq.jpg

Posted: 05 December 2012 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1240
Joined  2011-07-22

I’m a little late posting this, but here are my thoughts on Jerry Moore: http://www.southernpigskin.com/SoCon/view/appalachian-states-patriarch

Coach Moore was one of the classiest guys I ever had the privilege of covering. I hate to see the way it ended, but he will go down as one of the greatest coaches in college football history.

Signature 

Be sure to give me a follow on Twitter: @UrbanWhiteGuy