Great Win For The Tigers!  Les Miles Showed poor sportsmanship IMO
Posted: 01 January 2013 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2012-07-10

First, I can’t begin to tell you how pleased I am with the great finish.  I have definitely been one of those fans that has ridden Dabo’s back on the roller coaster we tend to get on.  This year I didn’t have so many of those moments.  What fantastic way to end the season and hopefully sends a strong message to recruits that Clemson is a great place to play and win at the highest level.

One thing that has really been sticking in my crawl is Les Miles classless and blatant faking of injuries.  Either LSU’s defense his a tissue hide or they were faking to stop Clemson’s high tempo because in the 4th, their defense was spent.  I am not saying one here or there is a bad thing, but this was way over the top and the referee’s should have flagged them for unsportsmanlike conduct a few times to cut that out.  If LSU’s defense player are that weak and injury prone, then Tajh Boyd must be made of iron because he took the most hits of any offensive player and kept getting up and taking more.

Kudos to the defense!  Venables really had LSU’s offense figured out and with the exception of a few chunks, they were shut done.

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5546
Joined  2008-10-29

Agreed.  They were gassed and could only fake it to stop us from rolling…...to bad it happened anyway.  Now we see the reason Saban was talking about….he just left out the word Fake before injuries in his argument.  With a decent defense, a high tempo offense can take one of those golden SEC defenses.  Texas A&M did it this year, and Clemson did it in the bowl.

Signature 

2014 BCS Orange Bowl Champions
Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

“First team from the state of South Carolina to win a BCS bowl” - Dabo Swinney

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 01 January 2013 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5560
Joined  2008-10-28

What are Boyd’s pro chances and when?

Signature 

“Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.”

TB12, the most mis-understood poster on Southernpigskin.com

Posted: 01 January 2013 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2012-05-17
TB12 - 01 January 2013 10:33 PM

What are Boyd’s pro chances and when?

he’s a RS JR so he could theoretically go now but I doubt he does. He submitted paperwork and they told him mid to late rounds. He’s only 6’0 which will scare off a lot if teams.  I say he stays a year and probably goes in the 3rd 4th or 5th round next year.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 02 January 2013 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2009-07-04

I’m not 100% sure about the injury fakes but I’m guessing the NCAA needs to look at taking teams time-outs or something for games under the 2:00 mark. It is ironic that the DL, which absolutely obliterated Clemson’s OL for 90% of the game, just ran out of gas. They were not getting off the LOS late in the game that they had earlier and clearly conditioning was an issue. Boyd was incredible although he did not play his best game; he did played his toughest game but still needs work to become an elite QB. Nuk was the player of the game in my view. He was totally unstoppable and solidfied his place in Clemson lore. He is a great, great WR. AE played solid but the OL gave him only spurts of openings; looks like he hurt his arm late but was again, a huge part of our success.

Boyd will not go very high in the draft but with Russell Wilson’s success this year, I think his height deficiency could be mitigated next year if he improves and Wilson has another good year (which he should). Nuk should go as he has little left to prove in the college ranks.

Fun game to attend and hope it was as good on TV as it was in person.

Posted: 02 January 2013 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1925
Joined  2009-09-09
Orange&Purple; - 02 January 2013 12:37 PM

I’m not 100% sure about the injury fakes but I’m guessing the NCAA needs to look at taking teams time-outs or something for games under the 2:00 mark. It is ironic that the DL, which absolutely obliterated Clemson’s OL for 90% of the game, just ran out of gas. They were not getting off the LOS late in the game that they had earlier and clearly conditioning was an issue. Boyd was incredible although he did not play his best game; he did played his toughest game but still needs work to become an elite QB. Nuk was the player of the game in my view. He was totally unstoppable and solidfied his place in Clemson lore. He is a great, great WR. AE played solid but the OL gave him only spurts of openings; looks like he hurt his arm late but was again, a huge part of our success.

Boyd will not go very high in the draft but with Russell Wilson’s success this year, I think his height deficiency could be mitigated next year if he improves and Wilson has another good year (which he should). Nuk should go as he has little left to prove in the college ranks.

Fun game to attend and hope it was as good on TV as it was in person.

Tajh should look at what one extra year did for Russel Wilson….

Chad Morris was even more clever when you think about it….He used Tajh as a Fullback to pound LSU’s O-line.  By using Tajh, he kept the ball in his hands, which reduced the chance of fumbles and just kept coming at them.

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 02 January 2013 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5546
Joined  2008-10-29

I agree, Tajh should stay…...but he should also be mindful of what an extra year did for Matt Barkley.

Signature 

2014 BCS Orange Bowl Champions
Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

“First team from the state of South Carolina to win a BCS bowl” - Dabo Swinney

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 02 January 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2009-07-04

Barkley was a first rounder though; Boyd is probably a 4th plus rounder if he leaves this year. Huge difference but do agree Barkley should have left last year.

Posted: 02 January 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-05-22

I’d love for Tajh to stay, but he would be smart to go.  Sure, there is room for improvement on this season, but his stock is not likely to be higher than it is right now, & QB is a little thin in the NFL @ the moment.  & as controversial as this is sure to be, I don’t think we’ll notice much of a drop off if he does go.

Many people will probably disagree, but think of the Ellington/Spiller situation.  I argued w/several of my friends that although Ellington was nowhere near the all-around threat that Spiller was, I knew he would fill in @ RB in a way that we wouldn’t miss Spiller there.  He did.  I think that we will have a similar transition w/Stoudt or Kelly.

Considering the skill position talent we have (even w/departures), the fact that the OL is young, but experienced, & The Chad is back for at least another year, I think we’d be in good shape w/either Stoudt or Kelly.  They’ve had 2/1 years respectively in The Chad’s system, & both are good athletes w/good bloodlines.  Stoudt has already been solid in his time on the field.  & the word is that the coaches love Kelly.  It’s true that unless either are a Manziel-in-waiting, there will definitely be some drop off as they grow into the position, but nothing detrimental.  Remember, it took Tajh a while to get settled as well, but he was solid from the beginning.

Overall I think we’ll be in good shape w/Stoudt &/or Kelly should Tajh decide to declare.  I think either will fill in admirably…just like Ellington did for Spiller.

As for our defense, I’ll reserve judgement.  Remember LSU’s offense was their biggest liability all season, & they were the 78th ranked offense coming into the Peach Bowl.  Not exactly a stern test.  I will say this though, even though LSU’s offense was sub-par, it was on par w/the average O we faced all year & we definitely did better against them than we did against most other teams.  There was definite improvement, but still a lot of the same critical mistakes they exhibited all season long.  We’ll need to see how things progress next year to know for sure where our D stands.

Signature 

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Losers practice until they get it right.  Winners practice until they can’t get it wrong.

Posted: 02 January 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1925
Joined  2009-09-09

Many people will probably disagree, but think of the Ellington/Spiller situation.  I argued w/several of my friends that although Ellington was nowhere near the all-around threat that Spiller was, I knew he would fill in @ RB in a way that we wouldn’t miss Spiller there.  He did.  I think that we will have a similar transition w/Stoudt or Kelly.

No surprise here….I do disagree, but respectfully.  Tajh made some big strides and one more year and maybe a Heisman run could be the difference between a 5-6th rounder and a 2-3rd rounder. He also still has just a few more rough spots to work out and on the field would be better than holding a clipboard.  Tajh most likely will not start like some of the others and needs that one more year to distinguish himself.

Also, comparing a running back replacement to a QB is a huge difference.  Tajh has been working with this crew and offensive system and that is huge. In power eye football you cab insert the next QB to hand off to a RB but in this offense timing and understanding is everything.  Are you telling me that you would rather have Chad Kelly or Cole Stoudt opening against UGa next year or Tajh Boyd?...The QB handles nearly every offensive snap and 2013 is supposed to be our best shot….......If the right pieces are in place.

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 02 January 2013 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-05-22
CU_Tigers4life - 02 January 2013 02:10 PM

Also, comparing a running back replacement to a QB is a huge difference. 
Are you telling me that you would rather have Chad Kelly or Cole Stoudt opening against UGa next year or Tajh Boyd?

I realize QB & RB are different positions, but I was using that comparison as an analogy to our QB situation.  We had a great player leave & many people were worried about his replacement, but the replacement did fine & there was not much of a drop off.  If Tajh leaves, I believe we will have a similar situation play out.  I’d love for Tajh to stay, but he would be smart to go.  I said there would surely be some drop off, but nothing detrimental.  I don’t know how you translated that into this, “Are you telling me that you would rather have Chad Kelly or Cole Stoudt opening against UGa next year or Tajh Boyd?”

As for Boyd improving his position, like I said, there’s certianly room for improvement on this season, but his stock is not likely to be higher than it is right now.  “Not likely” does not equal “impossible”, but it will take all of his skill, a lot of luck, & the work of a lot of other people for him to surpass these numbers.  Also, be mindful when you pull out the “What If?” reasoning that, a lot can happen over a 13-14 games season.  & as Clemtgrs said, remember what an extra year did for Barkley?  I’ll bring it closer to home…remember what an extra year did for Cullen Harper & Kyle Parker?  Do I think his stock will drop like those guys?  Absolutely not, but like I said…w/stats like these:

ACC POY
Chick-fil-a Bowl MVP
Total Offense: #8 (up from #18 in 2011)
Passing Yards: #13 (down from #10 in 2011)
Passing Yards/Game: #16 (up from #20 in 2011)
Passing Efficiency: #4 (up from #34 in 2011)
Points Responsible for: #1 (up from #13 in 2011)

It will be hard to rise higher than he is now.  Like I said, I don’t want him to go, but remember, he’s @ Clemson for himself…not for us.  & if he does go, I don’t think it will be the end of the world.  I see bigger concerns (defense) than the prospect of Tajh leaving.

Signature 

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Losers practice until they get it right.  Winners practice until they can’t get it wrong.

Posted: 03 January 2013 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  2008-11-01

Brandon Jenkins will tell you all about that senior year. FSU lost/were without Carradine, Reid, Thompson and Jenkins, 4 of their best players.

Signature 

I’m your Huckleberry

FSU has beaten the SEC champ at least 8 times, and we don’t even play in the SEC, lol:

FSU beat the 1987 SEC champs 34-6
FSU beat the 1988 SEC champs 13-7
FSU beat the 1989 SEC champs 22-14
FSU beat the 1993 SEC champs 33-21
FSU beat the 1994 SEC champs 23-17
FSU beat the 1996 SEC champs 24-21
FSU beat the 2000 SEC champs 30-7
FSU beat the 2013 SEC champs 34-31

Give it up for the SEC, a conference which almost beat FSU