A Good Read On How Clemson Was More Physical Than LSU…..
Posted: 02 January 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1873
Joined  2009-09-09

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2013/01/01/lsu-clemson-wears-down-chick-fil-a-bowl/1802693/

It is hard to get such a good read (Of course the staff of Southern Pigskin is always on the spot!) from the national medial to say a non-SEC team was man-handled that I had to share this with you

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2012-05-17

This article was longer than expected.  I got cramped up at the 1/2, 3/4, and especially during the last quarter of the article.  It was probably due to the surrounding environment I read it in (my work desk).

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  465
Joined  2009-07-04

Look, I’m ecstatic a the win; huge, huge win against a great opponent but i’m not buying we out-muscled them. we out-conditioned them without a doubt. boyd, nuk, ford, ellington were warriors on the field but our OL got torched most of the night. even my wife, who knows nothing about football but went to the game with me, said lsu was whipping us. if boyd was anything less than an absolute stud, it would not have been that close.

our defense is what impressed me “physically”. if goodman had played half as good during the season as he did monday night, he’d be AA. while i’m still in a holding pattern with BV, i have to think he did a remarkable job, especially with our two starting CB’s out. we got penetration, got off blocks, etc; i could hardly believe this was our defense. i liked the mix he used personnel-wise, scheme-wise as well so i hope that is a sign of the future.

great momentum game for recruiting and next year to open against those hated bulldogs!!! man, i’ve missed this series for too long.

again, kudos to dabo, coaches and team for a hard-fought victory. makes for a much better off-season!

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

Look, I’m ecstatic a the win; huge, huge win against a great opponent but i’m not buying we out-muscled them. we out-conditioned them without a doubt. boyd, nuk, ford, ellington were warriors on the field but our OL got torched most of the night. even my wife, who knows nothing about football but went to the game with me, said lsu was whipping us. if boyd was anything less than an absolute stud, it would not have been that close.

Not so fast!.......Tajh was used like a pounding Fullback.  He had 29 carriers in the game.  These were not designed to get big yards, but to quickly pound LSU’s D-Line and it worked.  By eliminated an exchange, these runs went quickly and had a cumulative effect…Sure, LSU got their shots, but we got the better end. You make a difference between out-condition and out muscled.  I guess I don’t considering the way our Defense handle them at their own game

our defense is what impressed me “physically”. if goodman had played half as good during the season as he did monday night, he’d be AA. while i’m still in a holding pattern with BV, i have to think he did a remarkable job, especially with our two starting CB’s out. we got penetration, got off blocks, etc; i could hardly believe this was our defense. i liked the mix he used personnel-wise, scheme-wise as well so i hope that is a sign of the future.

AGREE!

great momentum game for recruiting and next year to open against those hated bulldogs!!! man, i’ve missed this series for too long.

AGREE!

again, kudos to dabo, coaches and team for a hard-fought victory. makes for a much better off-season!

AGREE!

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 02 January 2013 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-05-22

*** Guess I should have hit refresh before I posted this & saw that the conditioning angle was already talked about. ***

Good read.  Though I disagree w/the writer’s premise that we physically wore them down.  We didn’t out-physical them so much as we out-conditioned them.

A lot of people have [incorrectly & unfairly] knocked The Chad’s up-tempo offense b/c they say it puts our defense at a disadvantage, but the converse is true.  The CFA Bowl is just one example of this, but it is proof-positive.  The only time our up-tempo O hurts our D is when we’re not moving the ball & racking up 3-&-outs.

Over the last 2 seasons our D averages only about 1:38 more time on the field per game than our O.  That time is spent against offenses moving @ normal speed for the most part; however, opponents spend their 28:22 running @ double-time.  Our up-tempo O has the potential to kill an opposing defense when it’s running well b/c they are constantly moving, scrambling to get in position & never have a chance to rest.  This constant movement gasses an opponent & increases the likelihood of mistakes…all to our benefit. 

LSU’s D couldn’t handle the pace, & it cost them the game.  & it was sweet revenge that Craig Loston was one of the ones who couldn’t keep up given that he decommitted from us a few years ago.

Signature 

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Losers practice until they get it right.  Winners practice until they can’t get it wrong.

Posted: 02 January 2013 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2012-05-22
Tickle_It - 02 January 2013 06:03 PM

This article was longer than expected.  I got cramped up at the 1/2, 3/4, and especially during the last quarter of the article.  It was probably due to the surrounding environment I read it in (my work desk).

LMAO.  Well played.  Though you guys should be well-conditioned after reading some of my posts.  wink

Signature 

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Losers practice until they get it right.  Winners practice until they can’t get it wrong.

Posted: 02 January 2013 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
4schitzngrins - 02 January 2013 06:54 PM

*** Guess I should have hit refresh before I posted this & saw that the conditioning angle was already talked about. ***

Good read.  Though I disagree w/the writer’s premise that we physically wore them down.  We didn’t out-physical them so much as we out-conditioned them.

A lot of people have [incorrectly & unfairly] knocked The Chad’s up-tempo offense b/c they say it puts our defense at a disadvantage, but the converse is true.  The CFA Bowl is just one example of this, but it is proof-positive.  The only time our up-tempo O hurts our D is when we’re not moving the ball & racking up 3-&-outs.

Over the last 2 seasons our D averages only about 1:38 more time on the field per game than our O.  That time is spent against offenses moving @ normal speed for the most part; however, opponents spend their 28:22 running @ double-time.  Our up-tempo O has the potential to kill an opposing defense when it’s running well b/c they are constantly moving, scrambling to get in position & never have a chance to rest.  This constant movement gasses an opponent & increases the likelihood of mistakes…all to our benefit. 

LSU’s D couldn’t handle the pace, & it cost them the game.  & it was sweet revenge that Craig Loston was one of the ones who couldn’t keep up given that he decommitted from us a few years ago.

Shoot…I was looking for something to zing you on and couldn’t…I agree!

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2013 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2152
Joined  2009-01-07

There are a number of ways to measure strength and conditioning. A one-rep max is one way and endurance strength (conditioning) is another. A guy can be superior for a period of time, but once he’s fatigued as a result of conditioning, he tends to get out muscled. The bottom line is that they guys that spend the 4th quarter on their backs for whatever reason tend to lose. In this case it went in our favor though I admit I didn’t expect that.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 03 January 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2012-05-17
4schitzngrins - 02 January 2013 07:00 PM
Tickle_It - 02 January 2013 06:03 PM

LMAO.  Well played.  Though you guys should be well-conditioned after reading some of my posts.  wink

I usually read the first paragraph and move on, or just skim it.  If you ever have an important point you want to get across, please bold or underline it as some of us lesser conditioned and LSU readers have trouble putting in the desired conditioning and effort required.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom