I think this will be Jim Grobe’s last year at Wake
Posted: 05 January 2013 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2650
Joined  2011-02-04

I have no sources or rumors to go off of, but the current AD Ron Wellman has to be on his last leg with the disaster hiring of Jeff Bzelik. I would not be surprised that both Jeff and Ron are gone after this basketball season, which means that the new AD will have no loyalties to Jim Grobe. I think he may be a little washed up now, he’s had a handful of good assistants leave him over the years and we’ve now seen 4 straight losing seasons, probably going to make it 5 before he’s done.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 05 January 2013 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2012-05-17

WF does seem to have regressed lately under his watch. I think it has a lot to do with the Atlantic division getting better as well as the loss of Riley Skinner. He always seemed to come up big for them.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 06 January 2013 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1873
Joined  2009-09-09

I cannot imagine Grobe being in trouble….He has done more to improve Wake football than anyone…..Wake is still one of the smallest schools in FBS and will always struggle to get top recruits.

If Grobe ever got the keys to a place like Tennesse where he has access to top talent you would see how good he really is.

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 07 January 2013 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4777
Joined  2008-10-29

Pretty sure Wake is the smallest BCS school and bottom 5 or so in entire D1. The ACC has done more for them than any other school for sure.

Wake would be crazy to get rid of Grobe. There is no one who would do any better.

I think Wellman is gonna ride Bzdelik all the way down so to speak. Wake needs a huge recruiting class this year to save him…(that have improved in win total each year though but not by much)

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 07 January 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2650
Joined  2011-02-04

I think it would be a painful firing for sure, even for the new AD because of how Grobe has elevated the standards at Wake, but 5 straight losing seasons won’t cut it, nor should it. Wake Forest has an 85 scholarship allotment like every other FBS school. Sure it could get worse, but it could also get better and that’s the chance you have to take.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”