1 of 2
Weird Alabama question
Posted: 08 January 2013 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1033
Joined  2008-10-29

Saw somebody post this attachment (which would make for a great T-shirt).

I do not understand what elephants have to do with “The Tide” or “The Crimson Tide”... or why elephants would be the mascot of a school in the southern U.S., far removed from their natural habitat.  The Tide makes sense, but elephants do not.

This has always confused me.

Anyone care to give a history lesson here?

-f

Posted: 08 January 2013 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6356
Joined  2008-10-29

Maybe because there are a lot of fat folks in trailer parks in Alabama?  Not sure….

Signature 

FIRE CHAD MORRIS, SHOTGUN EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!!!!!!!  But fire Robbie Caldwell first.

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 08 January 2013 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2009-04-27

I have been to South Carolina many times, are you kidding ?

There are two things . 1) a sponsor of the team long ago had an Elephant in
                        their logo and advertisments.
                      2) I forget who referred to the offensive line as
                        pushing the opponent around like Elephants would
                        but that is another reason.
Has there ever been a Seminole on FSU’s team ?
A Turtle on Maryland’s team ?
A Wolf, a bug , whatever a hokie is , no one lives who was a Tarheel in the 1860’s, a Tiger, etc.???
I like Elephants .
Did you see ND’s fabulous defense pushed around ?

Posted: 08 January 2013 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2879
Joined  2011-02-04

I remember reading the story on how Alabama got the mascot. I forget what decade it was, but it must have been in the early years. If I remember right it was Alabama vs Mississippi. Alabama was a heavy favorite, so they put in their second string O-Line for the first half and the game was fairly close. They were pulled in the 2nd half and the regular starters were put in, someone in the stands yelled out loud “here come the elephants.”

I’m of course paraphrasing the version of the story I read, some of the details I may have wrong.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 08 January 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2009-04-27

Tusk works quite well when the Million Dollar Band plays it.

Posted: 09 January 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1117
Joined  2012-05-08
harry carey - 08 January 2013 08:31 PM

A Wolf, a bug , whatever a hokie is , no one lives who was a Tarheel in the 1860’s, a Tiger, etc.???
I like Elephants .

chill out, im sure there has been a seminole on the fsu team, terrapins and wolves are native species for those respective areas, as were the tarheels in north carolina. Yellow Jackets (which are also native) and tigers were given their names by john heisman and everyone know when it comes to college football what heisman says goes. and a hokie is the sound that a turkey call makes. lots of turkeys in the woods over here

Signature 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUkxIDlCAAMr7Vq.jpg

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  979
Joined  2012-05-17
GoTigers712 - 09 January 2013 09:45 AM

I like Elephants .

chill out, im sure there has been a seminole on the fsu team, terrapins and wolves are native species for those respective areas, as were the tarheels in north carolina. Yellow Jackets (which are also native) and tigers were given their names by john heisman and everyone know when it comes to college football what heisman says goes. and a hokie is the sound that a turkey call makes. lots of turkeys in the woods over here

Don’t forget fighting roosters are also native to the redneck fans of SC.  They have them in coops out back in their back yards.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-08

the “Fighting Gamecock” was Thomas Sumter, who drove cornwallis out of the south and is the top contributing factor to the surrender at yorktown

“Sumter acquired the nickname, “The Carolina Gamecock” during the American Revolution for his fierce fighting tactics, regardless of his size. A British General commented that Sumter “fought like a gamecock”, and Cornwallis paid him the finest tribute when he described the Gamecock as his greatest plague”
wikepedia

Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17
GoTigers712 - 09 January 2013 10:50 AM

the “Fighting Gamecock” was Thomas Sumter, who drove cornwallis out of the south and is the top contributing factor to the surrender at yorktown

“Sumter acquired the nickname, “The Carolina Gamecock” during the American Revolution for his fierce fighting tactics, regardless of his size. A British General commented that Sumter “fought like a gamecock”, and Cornwallis paid him the finest tribute when he described the Gamecock as his greatest plague”
wikepedia

So you’re telling me it’s just a coincidence that rednecks like to fight chickens and that happens to be the mascot for a very redneck fanbase?  Hmm….my outlook has changed. 

If this were the case though, why not the Swamp Fox?  He’s a more recognizable name.

Signature 

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  692
Joined  2012-06-16

Though I actually like the name Swamp Foxes, I’m glad they picked the gamecock as a mascot.  It’s much easier to make fun of a chicken than a fox.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-08

i dont know exactly what it was. it looks like the school never officially adopted the name until well after reporters in the newspaper were calling it that

Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3313
Joined  2008-10-29

The Tar Heel name has it’s roots in the Civil War. A N. Carolina unit was in a battle and the unit stayed in the field after others had fled. They were said to have stuck like tar was on their heels. Going forward the unit was called the Tar Heel boys. The Ram comes from the nickname given a full back in the 1920’s. A cherleader thought it a good idea to buy a ram to illustrate the idea. It stuck.

Signature 

I’m quite lucky. I have a lovely wife, two great kids and an ever improving golf game.

Posted: 09 January 2013 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  576
Joined  2008-10-29
Tickle_It - 09 January 2013 10:15 AM
GoTigers712 - 09 January 2013 09:45 AM

I like Elephants .

Don’t forget fighting roosters are also native to the redneck fans of SC.  They have them in coops out back in their back yards.

It doesn’t make much sense that Clemson is the Tigers though. Since Clemson is clearly the little brother compared to USC, shouldn’t you guys be the baby chicks?

Signature 

2010 National Champions

Posted: 09 January 2013 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I didn’t know 4 years erased 100+ of domination before that.  Lol pot calling the kettle black, Alabama’s rag doll.

Signature 

FIRE CHAD MORRIS, SHOTGUN EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!!!!!!!  But fire Robbie Caldwell first.

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 09 January 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17
Clemtgrs - 09 January 2013 04:48 PM

I didn’t know 4 years erased 100+ of domination before that.  Lol pot calling the kettle black, Alabama’s rag doll.

This is not the pot calling the kettle black.  This is the pot calling silver spoon black as Auburn is to Bama what SC is to Clemson.

Signature 

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 09 January 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Sorry yes, thats what I meant.

Signature 

1 of 2