FSU looking at Billy Napier
Posted: 09 January 2013 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3820
Joined  2010-12-23

What do all y’all Clemson folks feel about Billy Napier??

Signature 

>>>─────;;;─►

“The same rowdy crowd that was here last night is back again.”

Posted: 09 January 2013 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2876
Joined  2011-02-04

Please not as an OC.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 09 January 2013 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6348
Joined  2008-10-29

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You don’t want to know what I think of Billy Napier.  He lasted 1 season calling plays at Clemson and it was a rotten mess.  I’d say his best trait is a good recruiter but I would not want him running my offense in any way.

Signature 

FIRE CHAD MORRIS, SHOTGUN EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!!!!!!!  But fire Robbie Caldwell first.

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

He and his QB were the bane of my rage during the 2010 season.

Signature 

FIRE CHAD MORRIS, SHOTGUN EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!!!!!!!  But fire Robbie Caldwell first.

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  448
Joined  2012-02-17

I don’t even really know who that is, but we do need someone to call plays other than Jimbo. I have never liked the idea of the head coach worrying about play calling.

Signature 

The artist formerly known as 4thNNole

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2112
Joined  2009-09-09

I think he would be perfect for FSU

Signature 

“If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head”

Jameis Winston: 2013

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

As a competitor of FSU I agree.  We’d never lose again.

Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  692
Joined  2012-06-16

I don’t think that’s fair.  Billy was in way over his head, but he wasn’t all bad.  Just inexperienced.  I remember many games where Clemson came out and the first drive or maybe two that were clearly scripted were really well done, almost beautiful.  They would look unstoppable.  Then once adjustments were made they’d stall and get predictable.  Maybe he’s learned something in the last couple of years, but I doubt that he’s ready for FSU.  Very good recruiter though

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3820
Joined  2010-12-23

From what I understand it will definitely not be calling plays… It would be tight ends/recruiting coordinator.

Signature 

>>>─────;;;─►

“The same rowdy crowd that was here last night is back again.”

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Well if you are going to get him, recruiting is where you want him.

Signature 

Posted: 10 January 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  979
Joined  2012-05-17
garnet_gold - 09 January 2013 11:25 PM

From what I understand it will definitely not be calling plays… It would be tight ends/recruiting coordinator.

This is a good position for him, though I think WR’s would be more his specialty.  Like others have said, he was a great recruiter, he and Dabo made a dangerous combo. Not sure how he would help out with the blocking part, but he was a good WR coach.

As for Clemson fans hating on Napier, I wouldn’t blame all of the 2010 mess on him, I would blame most of it on Kyle Parker and his lack of ability to compete or tell coaches when he needs to come out.  When he was hurt during the Aburn game, he never recovered and kept playing and taking hits (probably re-injuring himself).  That and you could tell how he just wasn’t into it, especially after he got his MLB paycheck.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 10 January 2013 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2319
Joined  2009-01-07

Great recruiter and pretty good position coach. He was put in way over his head as OC.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 10 January 2013 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I agree about Parker but as a coach you are in charge and you should know the players well enough to make those decisions rather then leave it up to the player.  I blame both, hated them both.

Signature