VT to name…
Posted: 14 January 2013 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1455
Joined  2009-10-20

Scot Loeffler as OC and Jeff Grimes as OL Coach. Aaron Moorehead rumored to soon be the new WR Coach.

Signature 

I won’t be money but I’ll wager avatar’s….I’ll use a Logan Thomas Avatar for an entire season if I lose and if I win you have to have some type of Clemson Avatar.

-CU_Tigers4Life (01-26-2013)

Posted: 14 January 2013 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5574
Joined  2008-10-29

Not gonna lie, had to google all of them.

Signature 

2014 BCS Orange Bowl Champions
Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

“First team from the state of South Carolina to win a BCS bowl” - Dabo Swinney

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 14 January 2013 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2720
Joined  2011-02-04

What did Beamer do with O’Cain and Stinespring?

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 14 January 2013 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-20
Clemtgrs - 14 January 2013 10:59 PM

Not gonna lie, had to google all of them.

Might wanna try paying attention to football outside of upstate.  Both of these guys are pretty well-known.  From a VT perspective, I’d rank this an 8 outta 10. 

Loeffler is talented.  Was great at Temple in 2011, but struggled at Auburn last year (but that whole program was just a dumpster fire.)  Was involved with some big-time programs and teams as a QB Coach before that (Michigan in the late 1990s and Florida in the mid-2000s). 

Moorehead is a young guy.  Up and comer.  Was an Asst WR Coach at Stanford.  Came highly recommended by Pep.

Grimes is home-run. 

That’s my early thoughts anyway.

Signature 

I won’t be money but I’ll wager avatar’s….I’ll use a Logan Thomas Avatar for an entire season if I lose and if I win you have to have some type of Clemson Avatar.

Posted: 14 January 2013 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-20
Garrett_TD23 - 14 January 2013 11:09 PM

What did Beamer do with O’Cain and Stinespring?

O’Cain was let go.  Stinespring is still on the staff—Recruiting Coordinator and TE Coach. 

Stiney was a great position coach.  Coached six All-American’s on the OL in the late 1990s early 2000s.  He’s a B+ recruiter too.  Very highly thought of in the Commonwealth.  He just struggled as an OC.  I’m glad he’s still on the staff.

Curt Newsome was the other coach that was not retained.  He was our OL Coach.

Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2013 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2012-05-17

I hope that Loeffler dials up more creative plays, as he was pretty vanilla from what I saw of him last year in a couple of games, although I think that VT will suit his style more than Auburn did with a good run game and tight defense.  I don’t keep up much with VT recruiting but have they gotten any good power backs recently?  After Williams and Wilson left, the VT running game kind of took a step back.  I’m expecting Leffler to bring it back to where it was, possibly even raise the bar.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 15 January 2013 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-20
Tickle_It - 15 January 2013 10:55 AM

I hope that Loeffler dials up more creative plays, as he was pretty vanilla from what I saw of him last year in a couple of games, although I think that VT will suit his style more than Auburn did with a good run game and tight defense.  I don’t keep up much with VT recruiting but have they gotten any good power backs recently?  After Williams and Wilson left, the VT running game kind of took a step back.  I’m expecting Leffler to bring it back to where it was, possibly even raise the bar.

Agree, 100%.  You’ll never see a fancy spread O under Beamer.  I don’t want it anyway.  Blacksburg in November is not a place conducive to tossing the ball around.  Too cold and too windy.  See WVU this year.  Morgantown and Blacksburg have similar weather. 

From what I read about Loeffler at Auburn, the whole program was just a dumpster fire.  He had to play a WR at QB, in fact.  At Temple in 2011 he had the nations #7 rushing attack.  They only ranked #115th in passing yardage, but with respect to efficiency, the Temple QB led the MAC in efficiency—a much, much more important stat.

And, yes, our two power backs could/did not play this past year.  We had one who RS’d—Trey Edmunds, son of former NFLer Ferrell Edmunds—who was only 17 years old when he started college.  And our prize RB recruit, Drew Harris, had to prep.  Both are expected to be available this coming year.  Edmunds is 6’2” 220 and Harris is 6’1” 230.  Little JC Coleman at 5’7” 180 lbs will be a nice compliment.

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2013 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1240
Joined  2011-07-22

In case you guys missed it, former VT quarterback Sean Glennon gave us his thoughts on the hire. Check it out.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/ACC/view/is-scot-loeffler-the-right-guy-for-tech

Signature 

Be sure to give me a follow on Twitter: @UrbanWhiteGuy