Poll
Should Clemson, FSU, UGA, UF, USC, GT Move Their Rivalry Games To Earlier In The Year?
Yes. League Championships Needs to be Decided at the end of the season.5
No. These rivalries are Tradition and must be preserved.12
Undecided0
Total Votes: 17
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Poll On Rivalries of FSU/UF, Clemson/USC, UGa/GT…......
Posted: 23 January 2013 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1925
Joined  2009-09-09

There was an interesting post on tigernet about the Clemson/USC rivalry game and it didn’t quite go into the direction I was thinking so I wanted the gang here to expand on it…...

Our six teams have a problem of being in different leagues.  Although I want to keep playing our rival, I don’t want to play it at the end of the season.  I think your last game should be a conference game.  Clemson should be playing FSU as the last game and GT should be playing some ACC team like Miami in their finale and USC should be plying UGa on their Finale and I really don’t give a flip about UF…...perhaps Tennessee.

I would much rather play our Non-Conference rival around game 6 because that is when both schools should be a peak performance and hopefully more healthy.

Playing a key Conference foe as your last game I think would really make the ACC a little more exciting.  The winner of the Clemson/FSU game will usually decide who goes to the ACCCG and I would rather that be our finale than USC…..Frankly it is more meaningful.

What do you think?

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 23 January 2013 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2012-11-28

In reality, it doesn’t really matter when you play the game….both teams theoretically will be facing relatively similar circumstances (injuries, fatigue, etc.). That said, I love playing these games at the end of the season. Rivalry Week aka Hate Week is the best week of the year!

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  790
Joined  2013-01-17

I think it should be moved.  First off the game is played in the middle of students Thanksgiving break.  This sucks because breaks and time with family is important then for students and athletes alike.  So if its a home game that means thousands of students will lose time with their family over break. 

Second its the week before the conference championship game.  For teams that already have that locked down the championship means more then the rivalry game so some might sacrifice rivalry practice time for championship practice time, watering down what should be one of the best games of the year.

On that note I think the rivalry game should be played just one week earlier.  With conferences trying to predict the contenders and giving them an easy matchup for their final week.  This will let everyone relax on the holiday, have a great rivalry week, and strengthen the conference championship games.  And for gods sake if the ACC doesn’t keep scheduling cupcakes the week before rivalry week like the SEC has done for years I’m gonna be pissed.  If we want to strengthen the league we need to make intelligent scheduling decisions.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 23 January 2013 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1090
Joined  2012-05-08

Im voting to keep things how they are. yall are talking like you know who is going to win the conference before the schedule is made. Having the game over thanksgiving break is a side effect of the effective start and end dates of the season, which will be changing as the playoff system develops. If a coach sacrifices rivalry practice for championship practice….thats football, you have to make choices.

Id rather have the conference schedule wrap up earlier. get the monkey off your back and know your destiny so you can focus on your marquee and rivalry games, and then know whats going to happen in the post season. Players might practice for an opponent during gameweek. the coaches are gameplanning every game, every day. rivalry week keeps players focused late in the season. what happens when youve already played your rivalry game and youve clinched your division before the last 2 or 3 weeks. You lose focus and drop games you should have won.  you dont gain anything from moving up in the season, you just lose a lot of what makes the games special

Signature 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUkxIDlCAAMr7Vq.jpg

Posted: 23 January 2013 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2012-07-10

Interesting.  Seems that this is an evenly divided poll.  I tend to learn towards moving the rivalry.  I know we have drop 4 to Carolina, but I would have like to have played against Lattimore for example.  We would have probably lost, but I tend to agree that in this new playoff era that is about to launch that conference titles are more important that “rivalry week”.  It you want traditional then go back to the polls and cut the bowls to 15.  Things have changed and will continue to change.

Although I am happy to stay put in the ACC, if these 6 schools were in the SEC it would be a moot point.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2013 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2009-07-04

I’m with GoTigers as I prefer to keep them as they are. Some of my favorite times during Thanksgiving is watching all the big rivalry games with a bunch of family and friends. Most teams don’t make it to the Championship game and this game IS the biggest game of the year, at least emotionally. It is especially fun (or not fun if you lose) to be in the room with family and be pulling hard against each other.

As a Clemson fan, many (especially our HC) think we had an outstanding year, grade A, yada yada. As for me, this year was only a B, a good year, but because we lost to the Dirt Peckers again, it could NEVER be a great year. And that’s the way it should be. When ole Dabo makes his rounds on the Prowl & Growl, you can bet I’ll be asking him when is he going to beat USuC WAY before I ask about winning the Division or ACC. Having the Clemson/USuC as the last game, man, that’s what it’s all about.

Cry me a river about having to play a big rivalry game before a championship game. Excuses are just that, excuses. If you’re good enough to play for the trophy, just lace ‘em up & spot the ball.

Posted: 23 January 2013 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Yall are acting like having a harder schedule makes you tough or something.  It doesn’t, it decreases the chances of going to a NCG.  It also takes away from the level of play in one of not both of your two most important games.  Your goal every season should be to beat your rival, with the conference, and go to a NCG.  To my knowledge SoS is based on who you play not what order you play them.  Sometimes you gotta drop the “lets have an epic story-line season” attitude for “lets do what we can to win our games”.  They give trophies for winning the last time I checked.  If your coach needs it to be a rivalry game to keep his kids motivated he won’t go far in this league. 

Sometimes the problem is you gotta play smarter not harder.  Look at who the coots play before the Clemson game every year, trash teams.  You’re a fool if you don’t think that gives them an advantage.  If you think playing with one hand behind your back is gonna win you games you should probably think again.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 23 January 2013 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2012-07-10

If I understand CUT4L’s message, I don’t he was suggesting exchanging the rivalry game for a cupcake.  USC playing UGA instead of Clemson is a lateral move.  Same thing with Clemson playing FSU at the end of the season.  If the ACC Atlantic or SEC east went down to the last game of the year, that would have some serious sizzle if you ask me. In some years when you know you are not going to the BCS title game, but have a date with your league championship game, I could easily see certain teams focusing on their league conference title foe instead on their non-conference rival. Not always, but sometimes.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2013 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Of course the chance to get a BCS birth is more important.  The post season is the time to shine and everyone wants to be in the biggest show possible.  Last time I checked Clemson doesn’t get $15 million (I know its shared with the ACC) for playing the coots.  Instate recruiting it helps to beat your rivals but out of state kids will be much more concerned with playing in one of the top 5 (generally speaking) games of the year with the entire nation watching.  THAT is why our win over LSU was so important.  On a level playing ground, with a huge (record breaking) audience, against a quality opponent Clemson pulled out a close win but with a dominating performance.  THAT is a good storyline.  “Tigers drop 4 to the coots since they have double the time to practice”  is a good read in my book.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2013 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5547
Joined  2008-10-29

Up until recent years it was just a giant buildup to the rivalry game, it’s the way it should be and I would keep it where it is currently for that reason.  If we can even find that mentality again it would be even better.

I get the easier road arguments but no thanks, read the sig.  I do like a cupcake before the rivalry though, if they want to do it then we should too.

Ancient Orange - 23 January 2013 04:02 PM

Yall are acting like having a harder schedule makes you tough or something.  It doesn’t, it decreases the chances of going to a NCG.

ND had the same attitude when it road it’s happy little yellow brick road schedule into the NCG…....oops!  Maybe if they had faced tough opponents all year they would of been better prepared.  NIU waltzed into the Orange Bowl too…..

The only argument I have against it is it could knock you out of a BCS at large spot, see Clemson this year.  But again, good teams find a way to win so no FSU excuses.

Signature 

2014 BCS Orange Bowl Champions
Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

“First team from the state of South Carolina to win a BCS bowl” - Dabo Swinney

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 23 January 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Its not the “easier road” its the smarter road.  I’m not saying schedule easy opponents I’m saying have an intelligent schedule structured to promote success.  If you truly want excellence you would want to maximize all your capabilities as a football team.  That includes the strategy involved in planning your schedule.  Again, catchy stories don’t make great teams winning championships does.

Signature 

Posted: 23 January 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  498
Joined  2009-07-04

Scheduling a “weak” opponent the week before your rivalry game is definitely smart and I do think it helps USuC, UGA, FL, etc. But that is a conference scheduling issue, which could and should be handled as such. Who is to say you play your big rivalry game on Oct 1 but have two key conference games the week before and the week after this game. Your rival though has a bye week the week before and play a Duke/KY/WFU type game the week after. My point is you have a better chance to play your biggest rival under fairer terms by having it at the end of the year. Tell the idiot ACC Commish to do what is best for the conference for a change and make sure those teams that need to have a competitive “break” before the rivalry game get it.

And if winning your biggest rivalry game doesn’t mean anything, or at least not much as some suggest, just cancel the game and get another home & home scrub team to pad your schedule and wallet.

Posted: 23 January 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  653
Joined  2012-06-16

I’m pretty sure each school schedules the who and the when for OOC games, submits that to the league and the league fills in the conference schedule and open date around that.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 23 January 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
Slappy - 23 January 2013 07:46 PM

I’m pretty sure each school schedules the who and the when for OOC games, submits that to the league and the league fills in the conference schedule and open date around that.

I think you’re right.  That’s why only the ACC portion of our schedule is missing.

It would be advantageous for the ACC if they scheduled their games to favor the teams that are expected to do the best.  The better your top teams do the better the conference looks in general.  I’m not even saying play it in october.  I’m saying schedule rivalry week one week earlier, keep a cookie for before and after the game.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2013 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1925
Joined  2009-09-09

Based on the small sampling of this poll, it would appear that I am in the minority

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 24 January 2013 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
CU_Tigers4life - 24 January 2013 05:17 PM

Based on the small sampling of this poll, it would appear that I am in the minority

Change is hard for most

Signature