1 of 3
Poll
What do you think of the ACC’s additions? (Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse)
1 Great1
2 Good11
3 Neutral5
4 Bad1
Total Votes: 18
You must be a logged-in member to vote
ACC’s Future Additions
Posted: 24 January 2013 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1279
Joined  2013-01-17

I know it was probably discussed but that was before Charlie Strong got a fancy new contract.  This is solely about teams staying or joining the ACC, not leaving. 
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8872727/charlie-strong-new-deal-louisville-cardinals-worth-37-million-annually

Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville

I think they will all be great additions.  They all have decent or good football and basketball programs.  It will help stabilize the strength of the ACC and limit what the big 10 can absorb severely.  Cincinnati and Uconn are probably the only other two schools worth poaching that are available with Uconn being down in football and Jim Calhoun gone and with Cincinnati being ranked #139 in US universities even they are questionable. 

Louisville in particular looks really solid now that they probably have Strong locked down.  Coaching stability combined with a better conference and they could become a serious team fast.  Considering they are replacing Maryland total win. 
Pitt could use the Pennstate troubles as a chance to to really compete for top notch instate and northeast recruits.  Actually the whole big 10 is looking pretty sad and this gives the recruits in the region a new option.  They have a few improvements to make in football but with an extra $10million? a year I would expect to see quick changes.  Hopefully we don’t lose Chad them or Cuse.  Basketball is solid. 
Cuse, basically the same as Pitt.  They are playing really good bball and might be able to get us in to MSG for the ACC tourney.  Anyone know the details of the Big East getting in MSG?

Notre Dame and Louisville are very similar too except ND will get more hype.  This is pretty nice because we can poach BCS points from them.  I know they aren’t in the conference but I think they will be eventually.  Especially since it will probably get harder for them to get into the playoffs without a conference and if they can’t get in a playoff they will make a change. 

Maryland?  Ok they may be in a big market but I don’t think they really added much value to the ACC.  If you want big contracts you need to win games, something Maryland never did.  Yes I realize viewership is important but winning will probably bring more eyes then Maryland ever did.

Signature 

Go Tigers!

Posted: 24 January 2013 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6802
Joined  2008-10-29

I voted good, BUT…only for Louisville.  Was the best available team, and we should of had them much earlier.  Syracuse will be middle of the road ACC team in football if not worse, and their basketball decent their basketball will prop them up much like Duke or UNC in the past (their basketball doesn’t seem to be propping anything up right now).  Pitt will be a total train wreck in every sport.  Louisville will possibly contend in football and basketball and I hope for the conference’s sake that Louisville is put in the Coastal division.  Unfortunately, it looks like at this point they will be in the Atlantic taking Maryland’s place….....terrible terrible terrible mistake by our conference leaders, yet another reason they are stupid.  Welcome to the ACC screwfest.

Signature 

FIRE ROBBIE CALDWELL!!!!!!!

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 24 January 2013 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

What were the other options though?  If you don’t bring on more teams and stabilize the conference then you risk your top teams trying to leave.

Signature 

Go Tigers!

Posted: 24 January 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3006
Joined  2011-02-04

I picked “good”, but I think we are going to look back at these additions in 3 years and feel like they were “great”. I feel very confident in Pitt’s football team that they will be very good in a few years and of course Charlie Strong has Louisville rising. Syracuse is a bit of a wild card and I don’t believe their ceiling is as high.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 24 January 2013 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2209
Joined  2009-09-09

Good….....not great, but like most say we didn’t have the greatest selection to work with…....

The only other thing would be to try to poach either the SEC, Big 12 or Big 10 which seems highly unlikely….....

I will say Penn State could be vulnerable and if offered the right deal. I wonder if they could be poached…....I thin the B1G treated them poorly in the scandal….

WVU would be great but I think they are so locked in of media rights to the Big 12 that they cannot get out if I understand their deal.

I am in no hurry to rush to 16 teams unless circumstances dictate it.  From a revenue sharing perspective, I don’t see 2 more schools out there unless it is Notre Dame and Penn State that could increase our pot of money to share…..I don’t see how schools like Cincy or UCONN enhance either our mone of football competition.

Also, I do think division realignment should really be looked at.  The bigger the ACC gets Geography becomes an issue….

Signature 

“If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head”

Jameis Winston: 2013

Posted: 24 January 2013 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  692
Joined  2012-06-16

AO, that’s a ringing endorsement by Clem’s standard.  Six months ago you would have received a very different response. 

I definitely think Pitt can be a good football program again.  It’s not like they don’t care about football.  They have better history than most teams, superstar alums like Larry Fitzgerald and Shady McCoy and Pittsburgh is as good as rust belt cities get (better than Columbus or Cinci, really any city in Ohio) PSU’s issues help, but going head to head with Urban Meyer hurts.  I could see Meyer focusing on southern recruits looking for that ‘SEC speed’, so maybe not.

The one thing that ‘Cuse has going for it is that it’s really the only game in town for hundreds and hundreds of miles, even if the talent pool is only a foot deep.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 24 January 2013 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3319
Joined  2008-10-29

I voted good. The reason is I think the teams added will add to the value of the conference on a financial basis. Conference footprint over the highest population region of the USA. Not bad.

Signature 

I’m quite lucky. I have a lovely wife, two great kids and an ever improving golf game.

Posted: 24 January 2013 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2012-07-10

Well, these 3 teams certain are BCS caliber programs and not C-USA or MAC level programs which is good.  All 3 programs have the ability to field solid football and basketball programs.

As long as programs like East Carolina or Memphis or not in consideration we are fine.

Signature 

Posted: 24 January 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2009-07-04

All are good programs but only Louisville has the resources (money, recruiting, brand, college sports focused state) to make a splash long-term. We really didn’t have many options due to all the other conferences with much better financial terms to lure anyone away. Why would PSU, any SEC team come to the ACC for a sizeable pay cut?? So, we look to the Big East to fill out our line-up….

I have two concerns with these adds:
1. we continue to push north with the conference and that is not the way the population trends are going; football is driving college sports and football is south not north.
2. non-revenue sports are taking a huge nose-dive downward in competition and competitiveness. This may evolve into having more weekend tournaments at rotating sites in lieu of sending the track team to Syracuse for a day, or the tennis team to Pitt for a day match, etc.

Thankfully somebody told Swofford to get his head from out of his crotch and bring in Louisville or this would be a disaster.

Posted: 24 January 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Footballs may be more popular as a percentage of the people but the northeast is dense in population and has a lot of money to blow compared to the south. 

If rotating sites saves money for teams that don’t turn a profit I’m all for it.

Signature 

Go Tigers!

Posted: 26 January 2013 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5271
Joined  2008-10-29

Voted good not great but there were no GREAT options and as much as I would like to have the ACC of 1970, that is not reality. Expansion is necessary for survival and that applies to EVERY conference, although some more than others. The Big 12 is gonna have to expand but the humor to me is that as much sabre rattling that has occurred, it is gonna be a Cincy not FSU that they will end up with. It is the Big 12 that needs to be scared, not the ACC. The ACC is 50 years older than the big 12 and will exist 50 years after the big 12 goes the way of the SWC.

The basketball speaks for itself of the additions and the fact that Pitt bball is not given any more credit is funny to me…Pitt has been a force in bball over the past decade.

As far as football goes too, I think Syracuse Pitt and Louisville are going to make waves immediately. Not saying win the league but they will be factors.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 26 January 2013 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  181
Joined  2009-03-13

Louisville was the best add out of the bunch.  They will be competitive in football, basketball, baseball, and soccer right out the gate.

Pitt will be a solid addition. Their basketball is pretty good, and if they can get some stability with their football coaching situation they will be a good, not great addition there as well.  It also gets the ACC into Western PA and the recruiting hotbed that is there.

Syracuse was a total basketball add, and once again Tabakky Road screws the conference over hoops.  Two winning seasons in the past 10 years in football and a recruiting wasteland. Now as they enter the ACC they are on their 4th coach in the past 10 years.  The only worse choice to add would have been UConn. Should have added West Virginia.

Posted: 27 January 2013 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

I’m pretty sure the problem with WVU is their lack of academic credentials

Signature 

Go Tigers!

Posted: 27 January 2013 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6802
Joined  2008-10-29

Still, after our latest adds it looks foolish that we didn’t get WVU to start.  WVU and Louisville and maybe Syracuse as the third…..would of been so much better.

Signature 

FIRE ROBBIE CALDWELL!!!!!!!

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 27 January 2013 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Ranked 165 in USN≀ no chance is what i was gonna say…

Louisville is 160, but you gotta remember WVU isn’t he classiest group either.  To be honest, with the stories I’ve heard I would rather leave them out and develop a lesser football school.  Burning couches and attacking a guy with his pregnant wife should not be the aftermath of a football game.  It seems like every time they lose a big game at home somebody needs to die. 

If it helps give you some perspective SC State is 147

WVU wiki nugget
“Some WVU fans, primarily in the student sections, have developed a reputation for unruly behavior, being compared to “soccer hooligans” by GQ magazine.[111][112] At some events, there have been cases of objects thrown onto the field or at opposing teams.[113][114] There were previously also issues with small-scale fires, most notably of couches, being set after games; over 1,100 intentionally ignited street fires were reported from 1997 to 2003”

Signature 

Go Tigers!

Posted: 27 January 2013 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3006
Joined  2011-02-04

I would like to know which schools voted against them.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

1 of 3