The Future of Football
Posted: 27 January 2013 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  656
Joined  2012-06-16

Given the studies showing the links between concussions and dementia, the suicides and lawsuits and the societal trend towards risk-aversion bordering on risk-hysteria, what is the future of American football?  Will it someday cease to exist, either by law or disinterest in a changed game?

I don’t think it’ll happen in the next decade or maybe even 30 years.  But, I think one day we’ll see a radically different sport that resembles more the 7-on-7 model.  The “helicopter” parents will prohibit participation at the youth level and society will shame the rest that they don’t care about their kids.  Gradually, the fear of liability and expensive settlements will force rules changes at the NFL level on down to the point that participation and fan interest will wane.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 27 January 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  182
Joined  2009-08-04

Good question and prognosis Slappy.  Interesting.  The part about a segment of society “shaming” the rest who allow their kids to play…hmmm, that is how our ‘enlightened’ society operates in this day and time with all social issues.  If you are not in lock-step with the PC conscious of this country, then you are going to labeled (in a non-flattering way).  Anyway, this is a football board and I do not want to divert into broader issues. 

Good post.

Posted: 27 January 2013 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1991
Joined  2009-09-09

Whew…....such a deep subject for a lazy Sunday afternoon…....

I don’t think it is going to change as much as we think at the College and Pro-Level…..The Dollars and stakes are wayyyyyy too big.

Now that the genie is out of the bottle if you will I do think we will see changes, but not so much of the game….....at least I hope not.

Football is still a collision sport…...like Rugby where they wear no helmets and play full contact…....funny how we hear nothing from that sport around the world about concussions….....

Here is where I think the biggest changes will come from:

1.  All participation in organized sports from the youngest levels will have to have a letter signed by a parent/guardian understanding that football is a collision sport and repetitive impact can lead to various forms of injury and later in life health issues…...If they sign off on that then the monkey is on their back….................Once the cigarette industry settle the class action suit and everyone knows that smoking can mess you up, it is the individuals responsibility to participate at their own risk.

2.  I think technology will actually make the game safer.  Better head gear research will undoubtedly continue to evolve and the game will get safer.

3.  I think medical awareness will be one of the bigger things that will happen.  Medical will be quicker to pull a player out and sit him to be evaluated rather than sending him back out…..I actually have some experience in this area.  When I was in the Air Force in the 1980’s, I was an Athletic Trainer at the Air Force Academy.  I worker with Olympic Sports with the wrestling team and Boxing team being regular sports and I supported intramural , JV and a little Varsity Football….......I don’t want to say a lot, but we had a way of dealing with concussions…........I will say that most of them are easy to sport…..it is the marginal ones where a player gets hit hard and gets up that is a little more difficult because they are asymptomatic….........

I hope the game doesn’t get ruined over this

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 27 January 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-16

Look how popular cigarette smoking is today.

I don’t think it’ll be limited to football.  Hockey, boxing, MMA all potential targets.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 27 January 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  934
Joined  2013-01-17

Bottom line, no it won’t go away.  We are moving in the right direction now.  Plus with how much money is in the medical field now we may be able to reverse the damages of a concussion.  I actually recently heard some news that they can actually make brain cells from cells that you piss out, yes urine. 

There will always be money there and the risk vs reward will always lead the poor to pursue a sports that make a lot of money.  The leagues will pad themselves from liability with contracts saying you can’t sue for concussions side effects and they will change rules and equipment to help prevent concussions.  Also, certain players might just have to retire at an earlier age or allow larger rosters to account for concussion resting time.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 20 November 2013 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-06-16

I thought I’d update this thread with a couple of new stories that go to my earlier points

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/column-youth-football-lose-numbers-game-20946701?page=2

http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/199414/proposed-new-york-youth-tackle-football-ban-upped-to-age-14/

This is a page of all sorts of stories related to head injuries from football.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/football/head_injuries/

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2013 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-04

Whoa..Post #2 attributed to me…SWVA Don…That is NOT my post.  How did this happen?  I did not submit this post.  Admin-can you explain this???

Posted: 20 November 2013 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-04

Hmmm-knee jerk reaction on my part.  Heck, I may have submitted that post- it was back in January!  I may have actually wrote that response (which is not bad after all).

Posted: 21 November 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2804
Joined  2011-02-04

I remember hearing about Pop Warner participation dropped 10% this year on the news.

Yeah I think the shift will be gradual and inevitable, football is a dangerous sport and concerned parents will probably encourage their children to participate in sports that involve less contact. If I had children, I would try to forbid them from playing at the high school level.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 21 November 2013 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2220
Joined  2009-01-07

I saw a story a few days ago that was discussing the possibility of keeping ‘hit counts” and setting a limit to prevent damage. That idea has a long way to go.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20131119/PC20/131119302/1032/is-football-headed-for-x2018-hit-counts-x2019

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson