The Boy Scouts May Be Accepting Gay Youths and Leaders Soon Discussion…
Posted: 28 January 2013 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2212
Joined  2009-09-09

From the USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/28/boy-scouts-gay-united-way/1870919/

As a parent of a 1st Year/1st Grader at the very beginning of his scouting experience this is something that I know sooner of later will happen.  I suspect this a decision to allow gays is more of a caving in that a actual desire to do so.

I just wish the whole subject of human sexuality could somehow be left out of the discussion….but I guess we live in such a time.  When I take my kid to scouts, I would much rather discuss things pertinent to a scouting activity…....

If this occurs, I hope everyone just takes a no discussion approach and just focus on the kids and scouting…..

Thoughts?

Signature 

“If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head”

Jameis Winston: 2013

Posted: 28 January 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1021
Joined  2012-05-17

Agreed.  As an Eagle scout, I can say that the scouts can teach kids things that they won’t get at school, like teamwork, leadership, self-reliance, planning, etc.  This has nothing to do with sexual preference.  If someone is gay, that doesn’t mean that they’re a pedofile.  It also doesn’t mean that they’re going to influence boys and young men to be gay.  That’s an internal decision that every person makes anyways.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 28 January 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Tickle_It - 28 January 2013 05:37 PM

Agreed.  As an Eagle scout, I can say that the scouts can teach kids things that they won’t get at school, like teamwork, leadership, self-reliance, planning, etc.  This has nothing to do with sexual preference.  If someone is gay, that doesn’t mean that they’re a pedofile.  It also doesn’t mean that they’re going to influence boys and young men to be gay.  That’s an internal decision that every person makes anyways.

An Eagle Scout?......I would have pegged you as one that got kicked out for eating “Browines”......

Signature 

“If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head”

Posted: 28 January 2013 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6812
Joined  2008-10-29

I’m an Eagle Scout as well.  My take is, who freakin cares.  They are gay, not radioactive and not all predators out to get our children.  I take the same stance as I have for the military and sexual preference….if they can do the same job to the same degree as a straight person and I can count on them to have my back I don’t care if they are gay, straight or undecided.  Same with scouts, if they can fulfill the roles of scoutmasters or leaders the same as any straight person could, who cares….go for it.  As for the kids, why wouldn’t you want to include them?  These are kids these days that have to hide who they are for fear of being bullied, often times rejected by their own family.  Include them.

Sometimes society today makes me sick.  How can someone discriminate so much against other human beings is beyond me.

Signature 

FIRE ROBBIE CALDWELL!!!!!!!

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 28 January 2013 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17

Actually we did that as well, except we smoked the brownies if you know what I’m screaming (what else do you do in the woods?).  I have a very diverse resume.  The only thing I’ve been kicked out of (besides bars and a few fun parks) is the national honors society for doing such little community service and for getting a referral.

Signature 

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 28 January 2013 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Tickle_It - 28 January 2013 06:09 PM

Actually we did that as well, except we smoked the brownies if you know what I’m screaming (what else do you do in the woods?).  I have a very diverse resume.  The only thing I’ve been kicked out of (besides bars and a few fun parks) is the national honors society for doing such little community service and for getting a referral.

Those were the “browines” I was speaking of…...that one went right over your head…LOL

The Browinies, as in a part of the Girls Scouts…..

Signature 

Posted: 29 January 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1252
Joined  2012-05-08

Who cares, been a long time coming. if youre worried about safety just make sure that theres never less than 2 leaders per group, and that theres never a private 1-on-1 situation. thats has nothing to do with being gay just for the liability of the scout and the master. If your worried about it “rubbing off”...i dunno…thats a personal problem that no logical argument is going to solve for you.

Signature 

if Bo Pelini goes to USC im going to start a Clemson-centric parody twitter account and argue with @fauxpelini

Posted: 29 January 2013 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17
CU_Tigers4life - 28 January 2013 06:41 PM
Tickle_It - 28 January 2013 06:09 PM

Those were the “browines” I was speaking of…...that one went right over your head…LOL

The Browinies, as in a part of the Girls Scouts…..

Apparently.  Must have been all the brownies from my younger days.

Signature 

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 29 January 2013 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
GoTigers712 - 29 January 2013 10:04 AM

Who cares, been a long time coming. if youre worried about safety just make sure that theres never less than 2 leaders per group, and that theres never a private 1-on-1 situation. thats has nothing to do with being gay just for the liability of the scout and the master. If your worried about it “rubbing off”...i dunno…thats a personal problem that no logical argument is going to solve for you.

The scouts have already addressed this:

http://www.people.vcu.edu/~albest/Training/Tiger Cub Handbook 34713.pdf

This is my son’s scout book for Tiger level….Page 3 and 4 really deals with this and parents must sign off on this before a child can participate stating that we have sat down and discussed this issue

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1284
Joined  2013-01-17

When I was a kid I went to my first scout meeting at my elementary school.  When we were leaving they said they would mail us information for the next meeting.  Then never mailed me :’(

But I’ve hunted since I was 8 so its not like I missed out on the outdoors or anything.

Signature 

Go Tigers!