1 of 2
Judge Rules NCAA Players Can Pursue TV Money
Posted: 30 January 2013 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2037
Joined  2009-09-09

From ESPN

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8895337/judge-rules-ncaa-athletes-legally-pursue-television-money

If I read this correctly, this can be fairly explosive…..

Signature 

“If I get Manziel disease, I want every one of you all to get your mikes and start slapping me on the head”

Jameis Winston: 2013

Posted: 30 January 2013 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2013-01-17

If the players win it will crush college sports.  All the non profitable sports will be eliminated because schools won’t run constant deficits on their athletic departments.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1105
Joined  2012-05-08

the best approach to save college athletics is have all NCAA athletes under the same union, as opposed to the NFL and NBA having seperate unions. then have different pay grades for redshits, grey shirts, freshmen, sophmores, juniors, seniors, and team captains. Having all the students under the same umbrella drawing the same pay will prevent college sports from collapsing under the weight of football and basketball.

Honestly it might be a good measure to eliminate athletic scholarships and require students to pay their way through by playing the game. that would encourage them to seek academic scholarships, which is what its supposed to be all about anyways

Signature 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUkxIDlCAAMr7Vq.jpg

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  966
Joined  2012-05-17
GoTigers712 - 30 January 2013 03:10 PM

the best approach to save college athletics is have all NCAA athletes under the same union, as opposed to the NFL and NBA having seperate unions. then have different pay grades for redshits, grey shirts, freshmen, sophmores, juniors, seniors, and team captains. Having all the students under the same umbrella drawing the same pay will prevent college sports from collapsing under the weight of football and basketball.

Honestly it might be a good measure to eliminate athletic scholarships and require students to pay their way through by playing the game. that would encourage them to seek academic scholarships, which is what its supposed to be all about anyways

How many do you think would actually qualify to get an academic scholarship?  How many barely qualify just to get in?  Most of these kids have like a 3.0 or something close.  That’s not going to qualify them for an academic scholarship on a scale where many kids go above a 4.0 due to AP credit being able to receive 5.0.

Signature 

Broscience: 50% Fact, 50% Magic, 100% results.

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-08

well thats why they are getting a paycheck from the athletic department as part of a “work study program” college students should be rewarded for good grades, not rewarded with just getting by.

essentially im suggesting that you eleminate all athletic scholarships, then pay them as a work study instead of giving them a scholarship. if they can make more than their tuition, room and board then they can pocket the money.

Also they should be able to get health insurance through such a program

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

haha that would shut them up. 

Ok players if you’re a bench player you only get 1/4th of your tuition paid for until you can earn a starting position.  80% of them would be like “ohhhh never mind my bad I forgot I didn’t have $30,000 to pay for school every year”

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 30 January 2013 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17
Ancient Orange - 30 January 2013 03:59 PM

haha that would shut them up. 

Ok players if you’re a bench player you only get 1/4th of your tuition paid for until you can earn a starting position.  80% of them would be like “ohhhh never mind my bad I forgot I didn’t have $30,000 to pay for school every year”

Good point.  Most of these kids would have to have major help to even get started by doing this method.  It would keep most kids in state as well, which would be bad news for Clemson and good news for the GA, FL and NC schools who have more talent then they know what to do with.

Signature 

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 30 January 2013 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-08

oh im sure schools would make “need based” scholarship funds for out of state students in a “work study” program

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Well Clemson would dominate USC since if parents are gonna have to pay for school they will want to pay for the better school.  D2 schools athletic departments would disappear.  Actually this move could effectively destroy the NFL too since it would reduce the talent pool considerably.  This would cause lots of problems.  Now I wouldn’t mind if it forced schools to honor 4 year scholarships with more money given to students.

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17

The NFL, if it is killed, will die because of all these new “dangers” we’re finding out about playing football and how it’s effected the mental health of players.  If it gets banned on a HS level because insurance companies no longer want to cover football players, then it could get killed.

Signature 

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 30 January 2013 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-08
Tickle_It - 30 January 2013 05:11 PM

If it gets banned on a HS level because insurance companies no longer want to cover football players, then it could get killed.

dear god man, youve just made me a believer in obamacare

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17
GoTigers712 - 30 January 2013 05:16 PM
Tickle_It - 30 January 2013 05:11 PM

If it gets banned on a HS level because insurance companies no longer want to cover football players, then it could get killed.

dear god man, youve just made me a believer in obamacare

Obamacare FTW?  I doubt it.  I’m sure that wouldn’t be offered in the obamacare level that the insurance companies would offer for HS players, that would be a premium benefit. That means only rich white folks will be able to play football, much like the leather helmet days.  Should be fun to watch.  So far the extra $1,600 or so I’ll be paying the insurance company this year has not justified anything to me yet.

Signature 

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 30 January 2013 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-08

you know what, if thats the case ill be at try outs

Signature 

Posted: 30 January 2013 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-17

Lol, see you there.  I still have 4 years of elagibility left, though I’d probably have to be doing PHD work at that point.

Signature 

See ya at church - Dom

Posted: 31 January 2013 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

If I was the NCAA I would be calling the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Nike, and Under-armor telling them that if the NCAA gets burned on this one ALL sports will take a huge hit if players get to bargain for money. 

The only thing I can think of right now that I would be fine paying the players for is for NCAA football, baseball, etc to pay the kids for the use of their image.  If you do this force them to pay the same amount to every kid so there isn’t some unfair advantage for playing at a certain school.

Signature 

Posted: 31 January 2013 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-05-08
Tickle_It - 30 January 2013 06:05 PM

Lol, see you there.  I still have 4 years of elagibility left, though I’d probably have to be doing PHD work at that point.

Well…i was gonna keep this one under my hat…but since im probably not getting a phd any time soon. in 2015 a new start up company is going to start training astronauts to go to the astroid belt and start mining. the minimum requirements are military service O-3 or higher (i think), a medical degree, or a degree in life/geological sciences with 3 years of field experience or a phd.

Signature 

1 of 2