UNC finished their class
Posted: 06 February 2013 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3299
Joined  2008-10-29

with 17 commitments. They pretty much had this class set prior to signing day. It will end up around third in the ACC, which is pretty good considering it’s just 17 players. Of those 17 I think CB Walker, DT Webb, A back Switzer, WR Fieulleteau, and maybe S Miles will play in year one a lot. Scholarship reductions haven’t really hurt UNC that much, and next season is the last year of them. Exciting times to be a Tar Heel.

Signature 

I’m quite lucky. I have a lovely wife, two great kids and an ever improving golf game.

Posted: 06 February 2013 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2013-01-17

didn’t clemson nab one of your guys today?

edit*

was this expected?

http://www.tigernet.com/view/recruiting_update.do?id=9754

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 06 February 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Wiggins was seen on twitter wearing a GT jersey this past weekend. He verballed to UNC last year, but said he would take all of his visits. I would call his flip a mild surprise. I think he will find it difficult to get on the field with all the DB commits Clemson got today. It certainly appears that Clemson is having a great signing day. As for UNC, they were limited to 19 by the NCAA. North never commited, and Wiggins flipped. That leaves them with 17, which isn’t bad, because if they have no attrition they would have been limited to 12 signess in 2014 in order to stay at the 82 limit. I think every one of UNC’s signees will fit their system, and will find their way onto the field. With this class UNC just couldn’t take any chances on projects. They had to offer and get players that will surely play. the scholarship reductions forced that. UNC is getting some pretty talented walk ons, including a DB transfer from Cinncinatti who turned down scholarships to walk on at UNC. I really think UNC is getting better, and the records will reflect that down the line.

Signature 

I’m quite lucky. I have a lovely wife, two great kids and an ever improving golf game.

Posted: 06 February 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Well the 18th ranked class under sanctions is pretty impressive to me, especially for a UNC that isn’t exactly a power programs.  I definitely see them as on the rise though.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 06 February 2013 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2009-07-04

Much as I dislike Fedora, he is a good recruiter although he is no Butch Davis, who I think is one of the finest talent evaluators in the last 20 years. Not sure of his coaching abilities just yet but he seems to have a pretty good staff.

TN bought off North and Wiggins saw early playing time at Clemson as our secondary is awful.

I think UNC will end up either 3rd or 4th in the conference recruiting ratings, which means they have ample talent to compete.

We whiffed on 3-4 key players just like last year so our class is solid but not spectacular.

Posted: 06 February 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
Orange&Purple; - 06 February 2013 04:09 PM

Much as I dislike Fedora, he is a good recruiter although he is no Butch Davis, who I think is one of the finest talent evaluators in the last 20 years. Not sure of his coaching abilities just yet but he seems to have a pretty good staff.

TN bought off North and Wiggins saw early playing time at Clemson as our secondary is awful.

I think UNC will end up either 3rd or 4th in the conference recruiting ratings, which means they have ample talent to compete.

We whiffed on 3-4 key players just like last year so our class is solid but not spectacular.

Its hard to out recruit money and SEC hype…  I’m most disappointed in losing Clark to OSU to be honest.  I think that kid could be a star in Clemson’s offense.  RN would have been a GREAT addition but now i see him as more of a liability.

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2009-07-04

Clark was a big loss but Lawson was bigger. We need an impact DE like nobody’s business and we just don’t have one. Adams was a huge blow too. Robinson is actually the better WR in my view than Clark but both are outstanding players - that did not sign with us.

Overall a decent NSD. Hard to really know for a few years.

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Yea I know we need a good DE but I think we develop that pretty well too so maybe a current player will step up.  I never felt we had Lawson.  Losing Adams sucks but Clark was FAST.  I think he’s a player we could use as a decoy if nothing else to spread those defense out. 

I’m not worried about players we missed.  I think our class is spectacular.  I’m really digging mike williams and jordan leggett too.  I love me some big receivers.

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5015
Joined  2008-10-29

I always enjoy seeing these classes re ranked in 3-4 years as they rarely end up where they start.

Orange, why do you dislike Fedora? Does he have a bad rep amongst some? If so I had no heard that.

Signature 

Ted Striker: “My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We’re bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We’re coming in from the north, below their radar.”
Elaine Dickinson: “When will you be back?”
Ted Striker: “I can’t tell you that. It’s classified.”
- Airplane! (1980)

Posted: 06 February 2013 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2009-07-06

I’m tickled about the Carolina Tar Heels’ crop of 17. Guys like Logan, Switzer, Webb, and Trubisky, for example, have the potential for huge contributions to future Tar Heel success. I’m very pleased, and thankful for Coach Fedora and his staff, and the job they are doing.

Posted: 06 February 2013 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

That spread offense is going to get used more. It’s in the NFL with that read option. UNC doesn’t really do that, but they run the ball about 50% of the time. This class will do nothing but help. I truly believe this class’ description is quality over quanity. The coaches got players for UNC’s offensive and defensive systems and it will play out positively. It surely is an exciting time to be a Tar Heel!

Signature