1 of 2
I Thought Clemson and FSU Had To Leave The ACC to Compete in Recruiting. THINK AGAIN!
Posted: 07 February 2013 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  382
Joined  2012-07-10

FSU and Clemson, both teams in the “horrible” ACC yet again had top 15 recruiting classes.  This is Clemson’s 3rd straight and I didn’t check FSU, but probably even longer.

I am going off ESPN’s rankings because all are fairly close BTW.

Both Clemson and FSU had higher recruiting classes than EVERY TEAM in the BIG 12.  You know, that conference that some feel the need to jump to. How was that possible? 

The richest public college in the nation and Big 12, TEXAS, didn’t even break the top 20 and they are wayyyyy down.  This is a program that makes over 100 million in revenue and that is what they have.  I thought money and facilities would take care of everything.

The SEC dominated the top 15 in recruiting.  I believe 7 schools were in the top 15. Clemson even out classed South Carolina, which has been said that we could not compete with anymore because of the SEC logo, money and whatever else they claim.  That is the formula for parity and teams will knock each other off.

Clemson and FSU have everything they need to win national titles right here in the ACC.  We are in absolute prime geographic location they allows up very quick access to the best high school players in the nation every year. That is a great equalizer.  Both schools facilities, fan bases and tradition are more than adequate to get the job done. Both schools have done really well in sending players to the NFL as well.

Believe it or not there is a saturation point to how nice a place needs to be to attract a recruit then it comes down to relationships, team teams and playing time.

Clemson and FSU, unlike the SEC are in a position to separate themselves and dominate ACC football just like Michigan and OSU appears to be doing in the B1G.  That is fine by me. 

If Clemson and FSU utilizes these players properly, manages the money, will will be in the playoffs every year rather than being in the SEC or Big 12 and maybe have a shot once every 7-8 years because of the parity.

I can’t believe this is even a debate.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3501
Joined  2010-12-23

Nice sell… I believe the parity in the SEC, but they don’t knock each other off, but they elevate each other by beating highly ranked teams or… if they lose.. its not a bad loss because they lost to a good team… Basically, they get 1 mulligan per year.

Signature 

>>>─────;;;─►

“The same rowdy crowd that was here last night is back again.”

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-23

Not gonna touch the ACC thing.

Signature 

>>>─────;;;─►

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1965
Joined  2009-09-09

methinks our old pal _CS_ is stirring up a hornets nest….........

Very “4shitzngrins” of him…LOL…drops a bomb then leaves.

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  883
Joined  2013-01-17

Clemson can’t dominate recruiting because of the SEC hype.  Look at what those recruits (kids) listen to all day “SEC BEST BEST BEST”.  #13 Montravious Adams for example probably picked Auburn just because it’s SEC.  His dad even talked about how they were the hot conference.  We probably could have picked up #2 Carl Lawson too.  And we lost 2-3 receiver commits to a horrible Tennessee and a UF team that just got destroyed by Louisville and struggled against many subpar teams.  Bottom line is that the SEC has a hype advantage over us and it hurts our recruiting.  The big 10 or big 12 hell no i see no advantage for them. 

Do we bring in great classes?  of course but we’re not reaching our potential.  Now some of that can change but the SEC has to be dethroned first.  Oregon, FSU, and Clemson probably have the best chance of that, maybe Ohio State too but they need to prove their toughness a littler more imo.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-23

Nah… FSU could compete with anybody in the SEC… Anybody… would they go undefeated and win National Titles every year like Alabama… prolly not… But They’d definitely compete and they’d be tough to beat.

If Texas A&M can… then FSU definitely could.

Signature 

>>>─────;;;─►

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Ancient Orange - 07 February 2013 12:24 PM

Clemson can’t dominate recruiting because of the SEC hype.  Look at what those recruits (kids) listen to all day “SEC BEST BEST BEST”.  #13 Montravious Adams for example probably picked Auburn just because it’s SEC.  His dad even talked about how they were the hot conference.  We probably could have picked up #2 Carl Lawson too.  And we lost 2-3 receiver commits to a horrible Tennessee and a UF team that just got destroyed by Louisville and struggled against many subpar teams.  Bottom line is that the SEC has a hype advantage over us and it hurts our recruiting.  The big 10 or big 12 hell no i see no advantage for them. 

Do we bring in great classes?  of course but we’re not reaching our potential.  Now some of that can change but the SEC has to be dethroned first.  Oregon, FSU, and Clemson probably have the best chance of that, maybe Ohio State too but they need to prove their toughness a littler more imo.

I think we more likely lost to UT and Auburn because they both suck and a offers a lot of opportunity for early playing time.

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Clemson offered early playing time one the defensive side of the ball.  Our three biggest losses (RN, CL, MA) were all defensive.  We had a shot at #1,2,4, 13, all defensive players.  We landed 4 but lost one to a very questionable Ole Mi$$ and two to Auburn.  Both teams who’s ONLY advantage over us is SEC.  From what I hear they are similar to Clemson minus a lake.  Auburn has a NEW head coach and Ole Miss has a freshman HC has hasn’t proven a thing.  Now I do think Ole Miss is cheating so its a little more understandable but lets pretend they are not.  So what can you name as a reason for missing on those players?  And don’t give me the “RN’s brother is at ole miss”  he knew is brother was there when he committed to Clemson originally. 

If there is one thing to complain about clemson it’s the fact that they play a lot of home games at noon because our competition level is down.  These kids want PRIME TIME SEC slots.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  510
Joined  2009-07-04

Ancient Orange is dead-on right.

Do you think when your PRIMARY competitors have a HUGE advantage in dollars, prestige, and exposure they may actually be able to field better teams? And guess what, with the new “rules” from the idiots at the NCAA, the rich are going to get richer. You think the SEC dominates now?? Just wait.

By the way, EVERY elite player we lost, we lost to an SEC team. Coincidence??

At the highest levels, a few players can make or break your chances. It’s a fact at every level.

Do we recruit well? yes. Would we recruit better if we were in the SEC? absolutely. No one WANTS to leave the ACC just to leave; those of us without our head in the sand just want to have the same advantages as those schools we recruit and compete against. Why do you have such a problem with that?

Posted: 07 February 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

AO, I just gave my 2 cents and if you don’t agree that’s cool.  RN is a Diva…plain and simple and he could very easily be a Brice Brown type of guy if not careful…....I actually think it is pretty impressive to lose out on all of those players and still post a top 15 Class….

Our biggest need was in the secondary and we knocked that one out of the park.  Also, a few years ago, everyone was crying fowl on our top 10 class….

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

I hear yea but I’m just saying we could have a better class in the SEC.  Not being SEC is literally our only disadvantage. 

EDIT:
And to be fair we missed out on Clark who went to OSU too, so one lost to the the Big 10 (meyer land).

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  510
Joined  2009-07-04

RN is not a diva; he’s an unbelievably great DE with a Mom and Dad who are “working the system”. I will tell you that Ole Mi$$ and Auburn have LONG histories of passing envelopes full of who knows what to players. They are not alone in this but honestly, they are and have been two of the worst offenders.

We had a very solid class but outside CB, DE was our greatest need and we basically whiffed. Maybe Shaq will be able to provide some really good DE play but I just don’t think he is elite, very good yes. No one else will see the field next year except upper classmen on the DL.

Posted: 07 February 2013 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  653
Joined  2012-06-16

I think you are all missing Scott’s point.  Joining the SEC is not one of the expansion scenarios everyone is talking about.  I don’t think you’d find many Clemson folks who wouldn’t welcome that change.  The argument has been that being in the ACC hurts our recruiting so if the Big X(II) comes calling, we should jump.  According to the four letter network, both Clemson and FSU outrecruited the entire Big X(II) including the largest AD in the country that also happens to have it’s own network.  The ACC also had the 2nd most teams in the top 25 behind the SEC.  The point here is that neither team has to leave the conference to get to where every other team, that’s not in the SEC, is or can be.

Signature 

Lord loves a workin’ man; don’t trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it - The Jerk

A person is smart.  People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - K

Posted: 07 February 2013 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-10
Orange&Purple; - 07 February 2013 12:54 PM

Ancient Orange is dead-on right.

Do you think when your PRIMARY competitors have a HUGE advantage in dollars, prestige, and exposure they may actually be able to field better teams? And guess what, with the new “rules” from the idiots at the NCAA, the rich are going to get richer. You think the SEC dominates now?? Just wait.

By the way, EVERY elite player we lost, we lost to an SEC team. Coincidence??

At the highest levels, a few players can make or break your chances. It’s a fact at every level.

Do we recruit well? yes. Would we recruit better if we were in the SEC? absolutely. No one WANTS to leave the ACC just to leave; those of us without our head in the sand just want to have the same advantages as those schools we recruit and compete against. Why do you have such a problem with that?

First everyone wants to run to the Big12 and now it appears that the SEC is where we are supposed to be. 

Guys, look at Texas. They have stooooopid money.  I mean filthy rich money and their own network.  They have more money than any SEC school will ever have and they cannot place a top 20 team.  They don’t appear to be anywhere near close to being back anytime soon.

The SEC isn’t going to take us and we would be foolish to leave for the Big12.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-10
Slappy - 07 February 2013 01:39 PM

I think you are all missing Scott’s point.  Joining the SEC is not one of the expansion scenarios everyone is talking about.  I don’t think you’d find many Clemson folks who wouldn’t welcome that change.  The argument has been that being in the ACC hurts our recruiting so if the Big X(II) comes calling, we should jump.  According to the four letter network, both Clemson and FSU outrecruited the entire Big X(II) including the largest AD in the country that also happens to have it’s own network.  The ACC also had the 2nd most teams in the top 25 behind the SEC.  The point here is that neither team has to leave the conference to get to where every other team, that’s not in the SEC, is or can be.

Thank you Slappy! You totally get my point

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

Well outside the SEC the ACC is clearly our best option.  Being in the Big 10 or 12 would murder out recruiting for sure.  I’m fine with the ACC right now.  I was the only one to vote “great” on my “ACC additions” thread and most people voted “good”.  Don’t worry the ACC will be just fine.  One or two good seasons and we won’t have to worry about the SEC hype.  Hell I truly believe that Clemson has a chance at a NCG next year.  That alone will bring us closer to level playing ground with the SEC, especially if we go through UGA and SC to get there.  As it stands I have complete faith in my team and I’m pretty confident in where other ACC teams are headed.

Signature 

1 of 2