Poll
Where Should Future ACC Championships Games Be Played
They Need to Remain in Charlotte18
They Need To Be Rotated To Various Large Cities4
They Need To Be Played At The Home Field of the Higest Rated ACC Team15
I Have No Idea0
Total Votes: 37
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Poll:  Time To Move The ACC Championship Game To The Home Field Of The Highest Ranked Team
Posted: 19 February 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1932
Joined  2009-09-09

FSU lost 479K in the last ACCCG:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21726933/report-florida-st-loses-479000-on-acc-championship-game

As spread out as the ACC is, there really is no “Central Location” to accommodate schools.  I think we need to adopt the Pac 12 Model where they play at the home field of the highest ranked team.  That may provide a home field advantage, but at least the game will most likely sell out and not create such a hit on the bottom line.

A backup plan can be made for smaller schools to have the option to use a larger stadium. like having access to Charlotte, Washington, etc….

Sounds like it is time for another poll!

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 19 February 2013 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1090
Joined  2012-05-08

im voting for the “various large cities” selection and ill explain why:
I think it should be at the home stadium of the better conference record (bcs is tie breaker) if both schools are located close together and far away from charlotte. for Clemson, NCSU, UNC, Duke, Wake, and even GT Charlotte isnt that far away, get over it. If its Miami, FSU, Cuse, Pitt…thats a different story. i think at the very least we need to have 3 cities ready to go. Probably Miami, Charlotte, and DC(?) and go to the best location for the fans of the 2 participating schools. I dont think it should be a scheduled rotation, it should be determined towards the end of each season

Signature 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUkxIDlCAAMr7Vq.jpg

Posted: 19 February 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  795
Joined  2013-01-17

I voted various large cities but I think I want to change it already to highest ranked team.  To be honest I think a hybrid system would be better.  This might sound kinda crazy but would make a lot more sense financially.  I really think we should limit it to Clemson 82k, FSU 82k, and VT 66k stadiums.  Maybe Miami at 77k, it is left out because its so far out the way for fans to go but might still be feasible because its a good travel destination that late in the year.  I picked these because they are the biggest in the ACC and you could keep your money in house if you play at an ACC school.  This would probably save the ACC millions every year.  To be honest I wish the bowl games were done like this too.  School blow tons of money to play in NFL stadiums while there are empty college stadiums that obviously have the infrastructure to support a stadium worth of people coming in town any weekend.  Play at the biggest stadium that makes the most geographic sense.  I would just say the highest ranked but if it was Wake 32k we would lose out on 50,000 in ticket sales, that’s a lot of money gone.  So if you do it at the nearest big ACC stadium everyone makes more money since there can be some contract that says the hosting school gets cost covered plus a little incentive and the teams playing in it don’t lose money on ticket allotment that is forced on them.  This also keeps it at a neutral field.  I think its arguable that you could say the highest seed deserves home field you can’t only give it to the big schools and you can’t afford giving it to the small ones.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 19 February 2013 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

The reason I am in favor of playing it at the highest ranked teams home is that helps with traveling near Christmas time and will also assure a sold our stadium in most cases.

I go to a lot of post season games and Going to the ACCCG then turning around about 3-4 weeks later and going to a bowl with Christmas in this economy is a real strain on good fans that simply can’t afford to make it.

Everyone wins IMO.

Signature 

“I remember when I was coaching down at Florida, we would always lose kids in recruiting battles to Clemson. I would tell my coaches that we shouldn’t be losing kids to Clemson. Charlie Strong responded ‘coach have you ever actually been to Clemson?’ I hadn’t but I’ll tell you what, I’ve been here now and I get it. This is an exceptional, special place.”

-Urban Myer, Sept 17th, 2011 while calling the Clemson Auburn Game. Clemson won 38-24

Posted: 19 February 2013 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  499
Joined  2009-07-04

I think Ancient Orange is onto something. I like a lot of your argument but need to mull it over a bit.
Let’s face it, unless two true football team get into the ACCCG, it is often a joke how empty the stadiums are. Heck, FSU didn’t exactly bring the house to Charlotte this year to watch them beat a very average GT team.
I think the conference needs to look long and hard at how to leverage the ACCCG into a winning game for the schools and league. So far, the jury is still out.
Unless they figure out a better system, I say just meet in Charlotte and flip a coin.

Posted: 19 February 2013 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  181
Joined  2009-03-13

I vote for it to stay in Charlotte.

We shouldn’t panic because of a one off situation where a non-worthy opponent was place in the game because of two cheating schools not being eligible.

Two out of three years the game has almost sold out and we are going to panic because of one year?

Moving it to the stadium of the highest ranked team poses problems because of the small size of some of the stadiums in the ACC, and the fact that the ACC would lose money on games at Duke (33k), Wake (31k)and probably BC (44k).

Limiting it to Clemson, FSU, and VT would never fly. First, you run the chance of the higher ranked team being put at a disadvantage if their opponent is one of the three.  Second, you can rest assured that the ACC isn’t going to do anything that benefits one of the football programs.

Posted: 19 February 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

The chances of a Duke or Wake playing in the ACCCG is so small that in the Fluke that it does happen, an arrangement can be made with a larger facility can be “on stand by”

In North Carolina, either Charlotte, UNC or NC State’s stadium is plenty Big Enough for an ACCCG.  Up North, most of the Stadiums up there are large enough for a title game.  Even BC has a 40K plus stadium.  If a Miami/BC game occurred for the ACCCG, you would not want that one in Charlotte for heavens sake!

I too am not entirely against AO’s idea.  It is intriguing as well.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-13
CU_Tigers4life - 19 February 2013 05:50 PM

The chances of a Duke or Wake playing in the ACCCG is so small that in the Fluke that it does happen, an arrangement can be made with a larger facility can be “on stand by”

You do realize that Duke only finished 2 games back in the Coastal this past year, and that Wake Forest played in the ACCCG before Clemson did right?

And good luck finding a facility that is willing to be on “stand-by” without compensation.  There are significant costs in maintaining a facility for gameday, especially later in the year when maintaining a safe playing surface becomes a challenge.

In North Carolina, either Charlotte, UNC or NC State’s stadium is plenty Big Enough for an ACCCG.  Up North, most of the Stadiums up there are large enough for a title game.  Even BC has a 40K plus stadium.  If a Miami/BC game occurred for the ACCCG, you would not want that one in Charlotte for heavens sake!

I too am not entirely against AO’s idea.  It is intriguing as well.

The ACC has made it a priority where championships in all sports are not held on campus. I don’t see them changing that policy because a bunch of people are running around like Chicken Little over a one off situation.

Would I love the ACCCG at Clemson?  Of course I would, and anybody who says they wouldn’t prefer it at their own stadium is lying. But the reality is we are never going to see an ACCCG played at an on-campus stadium. Since that is never going to happen it only makes sense that the game remain as close to the core of the conference as possible.  Eleven out of 14 conference schools (counting Louisville, but Maryland is also within the time frame) are within an 8 hour drive of Charlotte, with only the three outliers (BC, Syracuse, and Miami) being outside that time frame. If that isn’t as close to the core of the conference I don’t know what is.

Posted: 19 February 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2011-04-22

For Charlotte to work, you need UNC/VT to win the Coastal and/or Clemson/NC State to win the Atlantic. Need at least one, but preferably both. If not, it’s going to be a disaster like this past year.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 19 February 2013 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
MattSmith - 19 February 2013 06:44 PM

For Charlotte to work, you need UNC/VT to win the Coastal and/or Clemson/NC State to win the Atlantic. Need at least one, but preferably both. If not, it’s going to be a disaster like this past year.

I agree completely…....As spread out as the ACC is, the league really needs to experiment with some other options.

We need an ACCCG that is well attended and that should be top priority.  Clemson and VT can’t play every year as much as I would be OK with that.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2012-07-10

Did anyone see the bowl attendance?  Clemson was 2 hours away from Atlanta playing #8 LSU and the Ga Dome wasn’t even full!

In case people haven’t noticed, fuel prices, taxes and a number of other charges to the average taxpayer will be a burden for some time and getting the ACCCG as close to the fans as possible is a pretty good idea to me. 

Once of these days Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Miami and Louisville right now may compete for the ACC Title and and Charlotte will not work.

You can’t have 3-4 major stadiums be on stand-by unless you use ACC Stadiums which was suggested.

I checked the Best ACC team’s home field because in all likelihood that will be FSU,VT,Clemson, Miami, Louisville and UNC for the next 3-5 years.  We need these ACCCG to be short terms to be able to adapt.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5563
Joined  2008-10-29

I wish we could hear from fans of other schools.  Its a benefit to Clemson either way.  Charlotte is right at our doorstep basically and an EASY travel day from anywhere in South Carolina.  I want to hear what other fans have to say about it…...to bad we don’t have many others.  Home field advantage or Charlotte, won’t matter to me as a Clemson fan.  I’ll vote to keep in in Charlotte.  Hour drive for me, love the city (10x better then Atlanta) and its a pretty central location.  The conference needs a home not bouncing place to place every year, just like Greensboro used to be for Basketball.

Signature 

2014 BCS Orange Bowl Champions
Clemson 40 Ohio St 35

“First team from the state of South Carolina to win a BCS bowl” - Dabo Swinney

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 19 February 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 19 February 2013 07:28 PM

I wish we could hear from fans of other schools.  Its a benefit to Clemson either way.  Charlotte is right at our doorstep basically and an EASY travel day from anywhere in South Carolina.  I want to hear what other fans have to say about it…...to bad we don’t have many others.  Home field advantage or Charlotte, won’t matter to me as a Clemson fan.  I’ll vote to keep in in Charlotte.  Hour drive for me, love the city (10x better then Atlanta) and its a pretty central location.  The conference needs a home not bouncing place to place every year, just like Greensboro used to be for Basketball.

You are right, we are in a win-win if it stays in Charlotte….We just have to go through the formality of getting there.  In 2013, I fully expect us to be there.  I would like it to be UNC or Miami to be honest.  VT and GT (Especially GT) need to step back and make room for a few years…...

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17

You would have to look at the finances but I’m working off all of these “blah school loses money in bowl game” articles I see every year.  I’m assuming the bowl contracts are structured similarly to the ACCCG contract.  You wouldn’t lose money if you keep it in house.  Its like throwing a party at your house, your friends house, or renting out a bar/dance hall.  Clearly the bar is going to charge a premium for drinks and rental.  The NHL was going to pay $3 MILLION to Michigan to hold the winter classic in their stadium after football season was over.  If a college is charging that premium to a professional league I can’t imagine how bad Universities are getting screwed by the NFL(stadium owners).  That premium would nearly disappear if you held it at a college campus.  I named 3-4 possible campuses due to centrality of location and if we convert to having no divisions then a Clemson v FSU match up is possible.  Why should the best teams in your conference or the conference get caught throwing $3 million (the only figure I have ever seen) just to play a championship game???  I know its prestigious to get there and it will have SOME cost associated with the stadium upkeep but its not going to cost 3mill, hell it shouldn’t cost 300k.  If teams don’t sell all their tickets in a bowl game they generally lose money.  If that was the case at home games NOBODY would play FCS teams because you would lose money for not filling the stadium.  Playing in an in conference stadium would give you the same experience as the NFL stadium but at a much lower cost and risk to those attending.  Why would a conference want to drain money from their best teams?  To be honest the only reason I can see is that this is a kickback to some friend high up in the ACC.  “Hey I’ll hand you some money if you make sure my stadium gets rented one more game every year”. 

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Finances/Finances+Expenses

This is the best I can find so far about championship cost but it would be a great article for SPS to look into.  I’ve never seen an article outlining post season cost besides bowl games so it could be ground breaking news work (there’s potential, just a suggestion). 

*edit*  Also if I was a Clemson student and #10 wake and #22 duke (two smallest schools) were playing each-other at Clemson for $5 or some low admission price to fill the stadium last minute you can damn well bet I would drop a few bucks to go watch.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 19 February 2013 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-13
Ancient Orange - 19 February 2013 08:00 PM

You would have to l You wouldn’t lose money if you keep it in house.  Its like throwing a party at your house, your friends house, or renting out a bar/dance hall.

Yes you would lose money if the game is held at an on campus stadium that holds less than 73,298 because of the potential lost revenue. As it stands there are only three stadiums that are larger than BOA in the ACC…FSU, Clemson, and Miami.

Posted: 20 February 2013 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-01-17
catdaddy2402 - 19 February 2013 08:50 PM
Ancient Orange - 19 February 2013 08:00 PM

You would have to l You wouldn’t lose money if you keep it in house.  Its like throwing a party at your house, your friends house, or renting out a bar/dance hall.

Yes you would lose money if the game is held at an on campus stadium that holds less than 73,298 because of the potential lost revenue. As it stands there are only three stadiums that are larger than BOA in the ACC…FSU, Clemson, and Miami.

Well…..maybe.  It all depends on the rental cost of using the NFL stadium.  Lets just say that the rental cost is $3million for a large stadium since that’s the only data I have.  Lets just estimate that the cost to prep a stadium for a game is $300,000.  So the difference in cost $2.7million more for playing in Charlotte.  Then you weight that extra 2.7 million is cost versus the extra seats you get over smaller stadiums.  If you drop 9000 seats (to reach Pitt and VT’s stadium size) that’s 2,700,000/900 = $300 per seat.  You would have to make $300 per seat for Charlotte to make you more money than playing at VT. 

Cheapest ticket prices from a source I’m not familiar with : http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2012/sec-championship-game-ticket-prices/
$350 – SEC (Alabama vs Georgia)
$75 – Pac-12 (Stanford-UCLA)
$25 – Big Ten (Wisconsin-Nebraska)
$3 – ACC (FSU-Georgia Tech)

You tell me if you think we are getting 300 a ticket for the ACCCG based on that.  No, we’re probably not getting 100 per ticket.  Now I realize that these are all subject to lots of error but I think the 3mill is the best figure we have for a rental cost(ESPN) and 300k is a conservative estimate on my part.  It makes logical sense that if so many teams are losing money on bowl games the same could be said about championship games and even if you aren’t losing money you aren’t making as much profit as you can because the cost of renting a stadium is so expensive.

Signature 

1 of 2