Poll
Should Miami receive additional punishment?
Yes - scholarship reductions, post-season bans3
No - Their self-imposed penalties are enough3
No - The investigation was botched6
Total Votes: 12
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Miami—>  Punished Further?
Posted: 22 February 2013 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  300
Joined  2012-06-19

Do you think Miami should be punished further?

They’ve already self-imposed 2 bowl bans (and a conference championship game) as well as reduced scholarships…

Also, what do you think about Auburn and Alabama?

I know the whole “JerseyGate” thing is old news—-> But it seemed like the evidence was pretty damning…  In my opinion it wasn’t a big deal—> but if the NCAA wants to be considered legitimate… how can they slam OSU and let that go? 

IMO its about consistency…  And it seems like the NCAA is quite… arbitrary in the way they investigate and give out punishments…

Opinions?

Posted: 22 February 2013 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2766
Joined  2011-02-04

Alabama has a booster giving out suites, I thought the evidence was pretty conclusive.

Signature 

“And that’s all I have to say about that”

Posted: 22 February 2013 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2168
Joined  2009-04-22
whr2206 - 22 February 2013 07:08 AM

Do you think Miami should be punished further?

They’ve already self-imposed 2 bowl bans (and a conference championship game) as well as reduced scholarships…

Also, what do you think about Auburn and Alabama?

I know the whole “JerseyGate” thing is old news—-> But it seemed like the evidence was pretty damning…  In my opinion it wasn’t a big deal—> but if the NCAA wants to be considered legitimate… how can they slam OSU and let that go? 

IMO its about consistency…  And it seems like the NCAA is quite… arbitrary in the way they investigate and give out punishments…

Opinions?

The link between the Men’s Warehouse and Alabama is that they used to provide the suits the players wore before the games. Some teams wear warm ups off the bus, some teams where wind breakers, and Alabama players all have to wear suits. The institution has bulk deal contracts with the suit stores that they rent the suits from. The owner of this particular mens warehouse is a very big Alabama fan and since he had a connection to the players, he wanted signed memorabilia (for free and not put on sale). The problem came when some signed memorabilia had showed up for sale online. It was suspected that he was doing it, so Alabama was forced to send cease-and-desist letters on at least two separate occasions. Now, his signed memorabilia are behind glass with stickers saying “display only, not for sale”. It was investigated and none of the players who signed for him received any compensation (money or discounts). The end.

Auburn’s situation will be open ended, but it is closed for now. It was determined that $cam Newton didn’t know his fathers dealings with Miss State and Auburn. It was also determined that Mr Newton did indeed ask for money from both programs. But the outcome was that since the student didn’t know, he is not at fault. The only way it can change is if $cam comes out and says he knew, which would be unlikely. Or if some other evidence came out that he knew.

As for Miami, I doubt they get anymore bowl ban time. They may get a couple more years of scholarship reductions. They will also be put on probation for 5-7 years I would think.

Signature 

“There can be no glory without some pain!” - Nick Saban

Posted: 22 February 2013 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2013-01-17

That “I didn’t know” defense is total BS.  How would the NCAA not have a rule that you can’t pay a parent with or without the knowledge of the kid?  I now you’re not allowed to give a parent a job and paying $185,000 to convince your kid to come to our school sounds like a job to me.

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 22 February 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-22
Ancient Orange - 22 February 2013 12:33 PM

That “I didn’t know” defense is total BS.  How would the NCAA not have a rule that you can’t pay a parent with or without the knowledge of the kid?  I now you’re not allowed to give a parent a job and paying $185,000 to convince your kid to come to our school sounds like a job to me.

I agree. There’s really no way to prove he knew (unless you catch it on tape or he publically admits to it). So what is going to stop players from doing this in the future? Let the parents handle the business and the kid is never around for the dealings or in contact.

Signature 

Posted: 22 February 2013 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2013-01-17

If you did that nobody outside Bama, Texas, and OSU would even have a chance of winning a title.  Maybe USC?

Signature 

Disclaimer:  Until the season starts all comments are large assumptions based on biased reporting sources.

Posted: 22 February 2013 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2009-07-04

Guys: “deals” are cut at most schools, even your beloved school and mine. If you don’t believe it, just keep your head in the sand for another 10 years or so. The question is how big and how pervasive is it?
If no one comes out and admits to getting money, there is almost no way to “prove” much of anything without a “sting” type of scenario.

Parents get to “borrow” a Hummer for four years, “find” things in mailboxes, etc all the time. Now, there are limits to what most schools/alums will do (unless you’re an Ole Mi$$ alum) so as not to be too obvious but it does go on at most, if not all, major programs. They are called “bagman” and every coach deals with it.

I don’t like it but it is reality. It doesn’t happen to every player and every instance; it also takes different forms. Sometimes it is being assured of playing time, sometimes it is playing a certain position, starting as a freshmen, etc.

As for Miami, look at what many of the SEC schools do every year, look at what UNC did for a long time (and the idiots at the NCAA didn’t even find most of it, a report for the News & Observer did); look at OSU. Why should Miami pay a much bigger price? I despise the Canes but they are no worse than many who aren’t impacted that severely for their transgressions.

Posted: 22 February 2013 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-04-22
Orange&Purple; - 22 February 2013 04:39 PM

Guys: “deals” are cut at most schools, even your beloved school and mine. If you don’t believe it, just keep your head in the sand for another 10 years or so. The question is how big and how pervasive is it?
If no one comes out and admits to getting money, there is almost no way to “prove” much of anything without a “sting” type of scenario.

Parents get to “borrow” a Hummer for four years, “find” things in mailboxes, etc all the time. Now, there are limits to what most schools/alums will do (unless you’re an Ole Mi$$ alum) so as not to be too obvious but it does go on at most, if not all, major programs. They are called “bagman” and every coach deals with it.

I don’t like it but it is reality. It doesn’t happen to every player and every instance; it also takes different forms. Sometimes it is being assured of playing time, sometimes it is playing a certain position, starting as a freshmen, etc.

As for Miami, look at what many of the SEC schools do every year, look at what UNC did for a long time (and the idiots at the NCAA didn’t even find most of it, a report for the News & Observer did); look at OSU. Why should Miami pay a much bigger price? I despise the Canes but they are no worse than many who aren’t impacted that severely for their transgressions.

Just about every recruiting visit has illegal practices. Regardless of conference or school.

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2013 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2615
Joined  2008-10-30

Not sure/don’t really care what happens with them but I’m betting the basketball team doesn’t put a post-season ban on themselves like the football team.

Signature 

2012 ACC Football Champions
2012 Orange Bowl Champions
2013 Florida state Champions
2013 ACC Football Champions
2013 NCAA National Champions

“This is our time, it ain’t their time!”
-Jimbo