1 of 3
Question to FSU fans about program
Posted: 07 September 2018 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5468
Joined  2009-09-09

If I was an FSU fan, I would be worried about the Willie Taggart hire…Part of me compares a no-name interim coach in Dabo that built Clemson into a power vs Willie Taggart, but the big difference is that when Dabo took over Clemson needed a reset while FSU is a historical dynasty that just needs to put the right guy at the helm to continue attracting the best recruits.

Taggart is an established head coach with frankly an unimpressive record prior to taking the FSU job.  I realize he installing a new offense, but FSU is a team with plenty of talent and the VT came was lost as much to bad play calling, not reviewing a play that resulting in a TD that cost them points that could have affect the outcome…

Was Tagart really the best hire for FSU or were they bringing in a “yes-man” that they could control more than Jimbo Fisher?

For the health of FSU and the need for the ACC to have a few top level programs, I hope Taggart works out….If FSU has another near .500 season, negative recruiting is going to really hurt the school and send top recruits to other programs.

In Florida, South Florida had Charlie Strong which IMO is a solid HC, Mark Richt is doing a great job at Miami, Dan Mullen will do well at Florida, Kirby Smart has UGA rolling, Dabo is doing great, even Muschamp at South Carolina is doing above expectations, Alabama is locked down…..My point being is that Taggart doesn’t have the “reputation” to have something to offer against these other program other than selling FSU and asking for a leap of faith….Will that be enough?

I would hate to think that FSU’s decision was a social justice/affirmative action choice….If that was the case they should have went after Charlie Strong, who is a great coach that is a recruiting stud in Florida.

How long will FSU fans be patient?  I would think 2-3 years tops unless he really loses more than expected.

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 07 September 2018 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  474
Joined  2012-01-24

He looked confused on the sideline.

Posted: 07 September 2018 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12267
Joined  2008-10-29

He was a state of Florida guy that wanted to be at FSU, it was the easiest, quickest hire for FSU.  4 days.  Time will tell if it was right, but I didn’t really care for the hire as an outsider.  Had to be one of the first positions filled that year.  Like FSU didn’t even look.

For the price they are paying, and given his previous record/experience they could of sent out feelers to other names out there.  Bo Pelini is floating out there somewhere, remember Nebraska fired him for 9 win seasons?  Wonder what he could do with FSU talent.  Les Miles is floating out there, he was fired from LSU for not beating Bama and winning 8-9+ a year in the SEC west.  What could he do in the ACC with FSU talent?

Chip Kelly, Chad Morris, Scott Frost all made moves that year.

I think you are right about FSU not being able to control these bigger names.  FSU needs to learn how it works, you give the keys to the coach and let him run and build his program.  You manage it but you don’t control it.  That’s why Clemson has succeeded.  Dabo has the keys, the administration supports him.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 07 September 2018 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4097
Joined  2011-02-04

Any coaching hire was going to be risky, even guys who should have been slam dunks like Brian Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, possibly even Tom Herman have had mediocre seasons and they are considered elite. When Taggart was hired it made a lot of sense, he has done all the right things, the big problem is the new system has a learning curb and our O-line is thin, already injured and not that good to begin with, that happened on Jimbo’s watch. If WT is responsible for anything, it’s that he may have not had his guys focused (too much dancing and having fun) for the game and prepared for the rainny conditions. Other than those 2 things he has to play with the hand he was dealt taking over. We won’t know if he was a good hire for another 2-3 seasons, but the man can recruit.

Posted: 08 September 2018 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2009-08-04

I am not an expert in behavioral science, but watching Taggert pregame, he does not exude confidence.  If I can see/sense this, you can bet the young men playing for him can as well.  FSU has talent, but something (Can do attitude) seems amiss.  I hope the Seminoles right this ASAP

Posted: 08 September 2018 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

Down to Samford right now???

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 08 September 2018 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-04

Coaching here. Just looks to amateur eyes like this coaching staff has no idea how to adjust/coach to this conference or any southern school.  I think/Hope FSU wins but this is took close!

Posted: 08 September 2018 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I agree with you on both posts.  He seems very, I don’t know, almost timid.  He’s not gritty enough.

I need FSU to win to save SOS, this one could be an ugly ugly loss.  Especially if Jimbo continues to improve A&M.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 08 September 2018 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

Samford has a surprisingly good team. The QB is extremely accurate and their recievers are sure handed and fast. This is basically going to be a preview to the SU game next week.

Posted: 08 September 2018 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-04

Hmm…FSU should own this game.  DISH here in my part of VA just dropped this game due to the delay.  Following via internet…

Posted: 08 September 2018 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

Unfortunately FSU won’t be able to rest their starters for most of the game which increases the likelihood of injury.

One of the few bright spots is WR Tamorrion Terry. His TD catch before the half was a bullet thrown slightly behind him. He caught it cleanly while being hit. I believe he has a bright future.

Posted: 08 September 2018 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-10-29

I’m watching via Internet as well on the ACC site.  The way it should be, to bad its probably behind TV.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

Posted: 08 September 2018 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

Wow! A turnover backpack.

Posted: 08 September 2018 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4267
Joined  2013-01-17

WTF Tag, get your shit together.  This is absolutely embarrassing.  Tag won’t make it to the end of the season if this continues. 

If I were Dabo I would be putting extra work in recruiting Florida because Miami, FSU, and Florida have been slaughtered so far.  LSU, VT, and Kentucky losses, Samford looming….

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 08 September 2018 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

The defense is playing well so far in the 3rd qtr

Posted: 08 September 2018 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-04

Stupid, stupid targeting penalty on Samford’s best defensive player. Wow! What a beak for FSU with him gone, that guy is a beast.

1 of 3