Hot seat coaches
Posted: 09 November 2018 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4115
Joined  2011-02-04

I like to see all the ACC schools do well or at least reach their ceiling. Earlier this season I was calling for Fedora’s and Johnson’s job, however I am prepared to back off of that. I think the players are still fighting hard to be competitive under Fedora (unlike UL) and I’d think the close games UNC loss this year will turn into wins.

I feel a little bit stronger about keeping Johnson around at GT than I do about keeping Fedora around at UNC. It’s not like Johnson has a lot of years coaching left in the tank, besides his team seems to have improved over the last few weeks. We’ll see how they fare against UM, UVA and UGA. Go 2-1 and I think he earns another year.

Believe it or not Mark Richt’s butt is feeling a little heat. Of course barring a major collapse he will get another year. The 2 biggest issue’s for Miami is the QB position which has underwhelmed and the QB coach that is Mark’s son. UM will be in bigger trouble if Manny Diaz accepts a head coaching job from somewhere. His defenses have been stellar and his name will surely come up in job openings.

Bobby Petrino is basically sitting on hot coals.

Posted: 09 November 2018 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2009-07-04

Living in Atlanta, there is a growing tide of anti-CPJ sentiment. GT generally doesn’t expect an elite team but they are getting tired of the poor execution and uninteresting display of football.

Fedora should be OK unless the left lunes that permeate that campus use his record to get rid of him since he came out so strong on defending football injuries.

I actually think every coach is back next year.

Posted: 10 November 2018 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5479
Joined  2009-09-09

I think Richt is fine.  He is still in the Honeymoon phase and is one good QB away from having a good program.  He may be the one that lands Kelly Bryant which would give him a chance to develop a young QB for a year.

I think Louisville is going to find a way to get rid of Petrino.  Although his buyout is still pretty big, they have to make a major change ASAP.  If they don’t, it will take many years to recover.

GT…..We keep having these CJP death watches and he continues to hang on.  They have 3 games left in Miami, UVa and UGa.  He needs one more win to become bowl eligible and will probably make it.  It does seem the GT admin seems content for now with just getting bye…The Coastal is ripe for a program to take over and control it.  GT has the geography to recruit and be a powerful program.  If they ever decide to go after a solid mainstream HC, that place is a sleeping giant I feel.

UNC has to decide if Fedora can take them to the next level or not.  I just don’t know how much UNC care about football compared to basketball.  I don’t think the UNC fans demand a football team that is always competing for the league title or Fedora would have already been gone.  Like GT, UNC seems to be content with just becoming bowl eligible and drawing the ACC money.

I think VT has some soul searching.  Justin Fuentes arse my be warming up a little.  The Hokies should be further along.  The Old Dominion loss was unacceptable…..Here’s something to consider.  Has Bud Foster lost his mojo? I think so.  He’s had a heck of a run, but his defenses are not what they used to be.  I’m not sure Bud Foster is a big part of the problem.

The ACC needs a few stallions in the Coastal is this damn divisional play has to continue.  Miami,GT and maybe UNC have the most potential to be that anchor because they have the geographical recruiting advantage.

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 10 November 2018 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2011-04-22

Fedora is the big question mark. UNC isn’t always the quickest mover.

Petrino is done. Everyone else is fine.

Signature 

God Bless Saturday. @MattSmithCFB

Posted: 10 November 2018 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4294
Joined  2013-01-17

I would give Fedora more time and Fuentes too.  If VT falls on their face next year Foster has to go which will buy Fuentes more time. 

I think Paul will earn himself another year.

Louisville needs to send a collection plate out and Brian Van Gorder never needs another job as coach again.  I was listening to a podcast over a month ago and both host had no idea how this clown kept getting good jobs.  It’s incredible how bad the Cards got on both sides of the ball in such a short amount of time.  I get the hangover from losing Jackson but the defense is completely pathetic.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 10 November 2018 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

After what Pitt just did to VT, Justin Fuentes is going to have to do something with the defense.  As I said earlier, Bud Foster’s time may be coming to an end.  I hope if that time comes Foster will be allowed to step down rather than getting fired.  If Fuentes on the other hands keeps him then they had better have a significant improvement next year because VT is on of those programs that should consistently be on to the top teams in the ACC.

Signature 

Pirates function as a team. There were a lot of castes and classes in England at the time. But with pirates, it didn’t matter if you were black, white, rich or poor. The object was to get a treasure. If the captain did a bad job, you could just overthrow him.

— Mike Leach

Posted: 11 November 2018 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4294
Joined  2013-01-17

Louisville just wrote the $14M check.  No word on the replacement though the Purdue coach has been mentioned for weeks.

Signature 

2016 National Champs

Posted: 11 November 2018 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12278
Joined  2008-10-29

BOOM.  They had to do something, there was no way he could of coached that team after he lost the locker room.  No one wanted to play for him.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 11 November 2018 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

My only surprise is they din’t wait until the end of the season.  With that said, it does allow the school to get their name out in the open early to have as many coaching candidates to contact as possible.

The real issue is who wants to take over this dumpster fire?  How much can they afford?

I have a guess that they have been talking to people for sometime and have an idea of who they want.  I keep hearing the HC from Purdure, but I don’t know if that is a better opportunity than where he is at.

Signature 

— Mike Leach

Posted: 11 November 2018 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12278
Joined  2008-10-29

According to the thread on the Louisville boards where they say Brent Venables’s agent has already reached out, the best time to take over a program is when it’s a dumpster fire.

LOL these people I swear, delusional as the coots.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 11 November 2018 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Clemtgrs - 11 November 2018 01:17 PM

According to the thread on the Louisville boards where they say Brent Venables’s agent has already reached out, the best time to take over a program is when it’s a dumpster fire.

LOL these people I swear, delusional as the coots.

With Venables kid enrolled at Clemson I think that is not even remotely a chance.  I think K-State would be a better chance.

Jeff Brohm is the name I keep hearing..He is a Louisville grad and QB. 

I think Venables is Clemson’s unofficial head coach in waiting should Dabo ever decide to leave.

Also, Clemson is paying Venables so much that he can cherry pick.

Signature 

— Mike Leach