1 of 2
Muschamp Fired
Posted: 15 November 2020 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4867
Joined  2013-01-17

RIPPPPPP

Took them long enough.  I still cant believe he got that extension.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 15 November 2020 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12881
Joined  2008-10-29

Yeah Tanner set them back money wise there.  Shame he’s gone, was an easy win each year.  Wonder who is next?

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 16 November 2020 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6929
Joined  2009-09-09

It doesn’t matter. History shows that they will pick a coach that will have similar results.  South Carolina’s biggest flaw it that they suffer SEC SEC hubris. They feel that because they are in the SEC that great coaches will magically want to lead their program.  Living vicariously off the success of the giants of the league would be like a Clemson fan thinking every ringer Head Coach would want to lead our Basketball program because we are in the ACC.

They need a offensive minded coach that’s a good recruiter.  Selling a kid to play in Columbia where the college is located downtown and has no aesthetics and any significant success to build on is a tough sell against other successful programs in the south. 

Names like Hugh Freeze and Billy Napier are floating.  We’ll see.

There will be a number if top programs opening up like Michigan, maybe Penn State and even Oklahoma night see Riley jet to the NFL.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

“I’ve been in this league for 18 years. I’ve been the head coach here for 12. (Florida State has) had three coaches in four years… I’m not gonna worry about advice from Tallahassee.”

Posted: 16 November 2020 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4107
Joined  2009-01-07

I think they did it now to get a jump on the schools that are likely to have openings soon. I can’t see Harbaugh being at Michigan much longer.

Signature 

“I won’t support any sport where you sit on your ass and go backwards.”

Coach Frank Howard when asked to support a rowing team at Clemson

Posted: 16 November 2020 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
Curggr - 16 November 2020 08:49 AM

I think they did it now to get a jump on the schools that are likely to have openings soon. I can’t see Harbaugh being at Michigan much longer.

It won’t matter.  If you remember, SCAR was the first FBS school that had a job opening when Spurrier left and was the last school to make a hire and had to settle with Coach Boom. 

Right now, SCAR has to compete against a very successful Clemson and UGA and even an emerging UNC program which makes recruiting in GA, SC and NC damn hard and South Carolina can’t recruit nationally like we can.  It’s always been a tough job but right now it’s probably tougher than normal.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

“I’ve been in this league for 18 years. I’ve been the head coach here for 12. (Florida State has) had three coaches in four years… I’m not gonna worry about advice from Tallahassee.”

Posted: 16 November 2020 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07
CU_Tigers4life - 16 November 2020 09:00 AM
Curggr - 16 November 2020 08:49 AM

It won’t matter.  If you remember, SCAR was the first FBS school that had a job opening when Spurrier left and was the last school to make a hire and had to settle with Coach Boom. 

Right now, SCAR has to compete against a very successful Clemson and UGA and even an emerging UNC program which makes recruiting in GA, SC and NC damn hard and South Carolina can’t recruit nationally like we can.  It’s always been a tough job but right now it’s probably tougher than normal.

Yeah, I remember their last coaching search. They’ll talk in back channels but no coach is going to say anything while the season is still going on, so they’ll still be competing with everyone. A lot of people complained about the hiring decision but forget they didn’t have many options.

You’re right about their recruiting. If you add on that they’re sitting at 2 wins right now. that doesn’t help either.

Signature 

Posted: 16 November 2020 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4155
Joined  2008-10-29

Here’s $15,000,000.00. Don’t come back. I’d take that, tell college football to kiss my tail, and move somewhere where it’s warm all the time with a house on a dock and a boat attached. I’d also demand the money in one lump sum. Covid or not. Put S. Carolina in such a hole they’d have to hire a HS coach.

Signature 

A great wife, two wonderful girls, and an ever improving golf game. Gray hairs not withstanding!

Posted: 17 November 2020 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12881
Joined  2008-10-29

He currently resides on essentially an island fortress on Lake Murray, I’d be tempted to do the same.  Take the money and enjoy the fortress.  Unless the University somehow owns the house.

The coach down at Costal Carolina right now is on the list as well.  Hugh Freeze is your flash higher but I still think he’s too toxic to touch.  I don’t really have much good to say about Napier seeing him run our offense for that one year.  Sounds like he may be the right pick then.

Signature 

2()17 CHAMPS

If you’re happy with good enough, then good enough is what you’ll be. Greatness requires the expectation of excellence.

Posted: 17 November 2020 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

I think Chadwell will be high on the list. I agree about Freeze being too toxic. I don’t think they’ll give that much consideration.

It would be nice to just stay on the like. I could see him back as a DC somewhere eventually.

Signature 

Posted: 17 November 2020 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

USCjr should aggressively go after Freeze.  Just because their jersey’s and football field have the “SEC” logo on it make this a quality program that can cherry pick coaches.  It’s a very flawed program and a flawed coach like Freeze should be given a chance.

If the Dirt Peckers carry that SEC chip on their shoulder they are going to end up with another dud.

Frankly I think Freeze can get a better gig than SCAR. This place tend to be a career killer.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

Posted: 17 November 2020 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1049
Joined  2010-09-06

I could see Tony Elliot or Brent Venerables. If it’s Venerables Bobo would hopefully stay as OC with Shaw as QB coach. I think it will be Freeze or Napier. One possibility no one is talking about is James Franklin.

Signature 

“you are what your record says you are” Bill Parcells

Posted: 17 November 2020 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09
legalfee - 17 November 2020 05:31 PM

I could see Tony Elliot or Brent Venerables. If it’s Venerables Bobo would hopefully stay as OC with Shaw as QB coach. I think it will be Freeze or Napier. One possibility no one is talking about is James Franklin.

I’ve theorized that Venables will either take over Dabo’s job if the NFL rumors come true or more likely, if Lincoln Riley jets for the NFL he returns to Oklahoma and back in his old stomping grounds.

Tony Elliot is a maybe, but I just can’t see him going to South Carolina. He’s a Clemson Grad and I would be shocked if he took that job.

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

Posted: 17 November 2020 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4867
Joined  2013-01-17

I don’t see Venables going there as he can do much better.  IMO he goes to OU if Lincoln leaves for the NFL.  Maybe Texas or LSU too.  Yes I wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 of those have different HC’s in 3 years. 

I also think Tony stays possibly hoping to replace Dabo.  I’m sure he’s seen how Jeff Scott walked into a tough situation and is having some struggles.  If I were him I would be looking for a school were I could compete for a conference title and USCjr isn’t one of those schools. 

As toxic as he is I’m kinda surprised I haven’t heard Art Briles thrown around. 

If I’m USCjr I look for a young coach that has had success at lower levels and looks to be a good recruiter.  Or sell your soul and get one of the scumbags.

Signature 

2016 & 2018 National Champions

Posted: 17 November 2020 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-06

I don’t see Dabo leaving unless it’s for Bama. I think U of SC is looking for an offensive minded coach with P5 head coaching experience and Venerables does not fit the bill.

Napier would be a high risk high reward candidate and previously being on CUs staff would have nothing to do with his decision.

Freeze checks all the boxes even though he has baggage he’s ready to get back into the P5. The downside of Freeze would be the SEC and NCAA would be watching us like a hawk looking for any excuse to bust us. With the right DC Freeze would have us competitive very fast.

I think James Franklin would also be a good hire. The guy won at Vandy for Gods sake.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2020 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

I think Dabo would only leave for the NFL.  College football is becoming more and more NFL like with virtual free-agency with the transfer rules and the paying of players.

Sooner or later Dabo’s going to start losing coaches and most coaches would like to leave on top rather in its decline.

As for Alabama, he could do the Saban thing by going to the NFL and if it doesn’t work out he could take over Bama about the time Saban retires.

With all of that said, it would have to be a heck of a deal to make Dabo leave because he can do no wrong and it would take a lot of bad seasons for the fans get tired

Signature 

Dabo Swinney:

Posted: 18 November 2020 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-06

I just don’t think Dabo’s style of coaching would translate to the NFL. Maybe with the right team I’m thinking Pete Carroll a similar coach and the Seahawks. Saban and Spurrier two great college coaches could not cut it in the NFL.

Dabo does have a great gig. Great fans, easy conference schedule, easy sell to recruits. Great assistants. He’s been able to keep them so far but things could go downhill if they leave.

Signature 

1 of 2